Planned projects for 2014

What's Hot

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16725
    Sambostar said:

Jake E Lee Whitey Project with Proper 7.25" Bullet trussrod 70's neck and Chunky Brass Charvel 2" spaced Bridge

You can get a chunky brass JEL bridge from allparts japan. at least i managed to get someone to import me one, was a bit of a faff though

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27610
    I've got a bunch of stuff to finish off ...

A couple to finish making;

And this to finish fixing

And when I've done that, I'll think about what next ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • MickMick Frets: 98
    TTony, looks like you've been busy. Nice job. ;)
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    edited December 2013
    So much to do, and so few hours in the day...
    Playing, this place, and now projects too...  where do you fit a life into all that ?

Well first is the faded SG 3PU which I bought to refinish, reprofile the neck, and depending whats under the batwing put a 60s scratch plate on, plus maybe one or two other mods, especially pickup switching.

There is a relic bitsa Strat which I really don't know what to do with, but has some lovely MoJo pickups in, so that requires a bit of thought, which is in short supply this time of year.

Then there is the big project with pickups types, and switching options, etc, etc.  That will keep Ash busy for a while, and me too.  Watch this space...

And then GSP posted that LPJ DC, and while I cogitated, TTony swooped and won the day, (well done), but I might just have to get one made up as another project.   (what, only the one ! )

There are bound to be a few others too...

• IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    A Tele and an Esquire which need re-building almost from scratch (and I'll be learning how to level frets on the latter), and a Vintage SG without any electronics that I fancy customising. 

On the bass front, I'm picking up a second Vintage V96 5-string next week for a bit of a steal; since the trussrod on my main one's a bit hit-and-miss these days I'm thinking of de-fretting the current one and re-finishing the new one. 
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    I'm planning an MJT Strat, which will basically be my perfect Strat.

Candy Green, big headstock, compound radius board, fat neck, light relic job. It should be fan-fucking-tastic and I can't wait to get started.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • Mick said:
    I want to build a guitar sometime next year, but don't know whether to go for a kit, or go buy parts and build from those TBH. Either way I'm bound to cock it up, so it'll probably be a test bed guitar. ;)
    I think the essence of project guitars is to avoid kits to a certain extent, having said that I am jonesing one of those les paul junior kits mentioned here but in terms of Fender parts caster stuff the key is to give your self the custom shop treatment and assemble the thing you desire most. For me it was to put together a classic old school style Strat, after doing the Fender Factory tour, `Swamp ash, V neck, home brew vintage output pickups, thin finish "Wudtone" I stayed clear of fancy expensive hardware and picked through the old style wilkinson strat with cold rolled steel block, none of this meets the exalted standards of aficionados but I wanted to get a base level and from that if I add a better bridge I can appreciate or not its true effect on tone etc. One of the things I got out of the factory visit is the amount of rubbing they do in the custom shop those necks get that played in feel from good old fashioned burnishing. 

regards jez
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    Wow, lots of plans for next year already.

Not 100% sure, either tidy up the affinity strat and sell it, or go to town with new pickups, electrics, pickup guard, tuners + trem for a very solid strat for under about £160 which should prevent me from wanting a Mexican std or American special in 2014 and allow me to continue saving for my Cort CR custom. Hmm?
  • Pine tele. Just need to source a neck & pickups.
  • I've got an Ibanez SZ that needs refinishing (Wudtone I think) and I'll probably put new pickups in it.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    A good friend gave me his 1970s built Nolan 50 Watt guitar head earlier this year.  I plan to get it restored and fully working sometime in 2014.  Pics here before and after work....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Well, I'm starting with a review and the sale of a few to get some space in spare room.  Think I've sold the Shine, going to sell the Gibson LP Studio P90 60's Tribute.

Then do some 'fix or chuck' jobs.  The first one is this unconventional homebuilt:

After much deliberation, I have decided to put a new neck on rather than salvage it for the bits.  Yes - I know it looks weird.  BUT it produces the best sounds of any guitar I have and, being a decent weight but small size, is one of the most comfortable to play.  The neck, however, is a slim Yamaha that, with my slightly dodgy hands, gives me cramp too easily.  I'm putting on a modified strat 'soft V' neck - means repositioning the bridge.  It has P-Rails with all the options and a 6 position rotary to give me strat options plus a 'tele' option.  It really does have the strat quack too, even though it will do a pretty decent job of a full-blown LP humbucker sound.  

Then:
    Another Acoustic

Then:
    MAYBE another SG...that last one was soooo pretty, I'm really tempted

Then:
    Who knows... 
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3451
    Love that guitar, Andy.
    I'm getting a headless built by a new luthier operating under the name Scatter-Brain Concepts. WIP album ;https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.591416790913587.1073741830.417462838308984&type=1

Neck-through, ABM components (individual bridge units, not the cheaper one-piece saddle), ebony 16" radius fingerboard with jumbo frets, 24 frets + zero fret, the neck has the same shape as my Vigier so a C shape I think. Electronics are a Benedetto A-6 in the bridge (like a jazzy PAF I guess?) and a Custom Shop Telecaster Texas Special in the neck. I'm trying the same controls as a Jazz Bass so 2 volumes (1 with coil split push), 1 tone, but no pickup selector. We'll see how it works.
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    Tele deluxe (2x HB) which I have the body for and a large headstock neck already, need to get the pickups and hardware.

Got a cheap tele body which I was thinking about putting one of @TheGuitarWeasel 's tapped pickups in, maybe just one pickup. In fact I was planning to get his WR HB for the tele deluxe so when funds are available expect an order! :)>-
  • redrighthandredrighthand Frets: 746
    edited December 2013
    Gotta sort putting this together. Unless I change my mind and acquire some other bits in the meantime... http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn199/DirectorDenialMusic/box18.jpg
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10492
    tFB Trader

Gotta sort putting this together. Unless I change my mind and acquire some other bits in the meantime... http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn199/DirectorDenialMusic/box18.jpg
    OOOOoo that's really cool ... won't be to every ones taste but I like it :)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• guitarcookie1;116184" said:
    Pine tele. Just need to source a neck & pickups.
    Parts sourced (combination of Xmas pressie's & New Years Day googling).

Think the neck pocket is going to need widening by a couple of mm, but otherwise should be a straight forward assembly job :)

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    This is a mock up for my current project. Planning done, and literally getting started this week. Was going to start the neck today but I've been a lazy git. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    WezV said:
    * a 9 string fanned fret acoustic - strung double course on the high strings
    * a 5 string open tuned parlour sized acoustic
    They both sound fascinating - are they for someone in particular or just something you fancy doing?

@jez6345789 The strat looks really nice!
  • axisus;120039" said:
    This is a mock up for my current project. Planning done, and literally getting started this week. Was going to start the neck today but I've been a lazy git. 
    That'll be the third guitar you own that I wish I could have conceived myself. Bloomin lovely design.