Played through a LazyJ 20 for the first time...

What's Hot
BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2233
edited June 2016 in Amps
..... Mouthwatering. Heavenly. All the adjectives. I get it now. I get the hype and the love for this amp on FB. That thing...what a sound. I have never heard tone like that before. I have to have one. I just need to buy a Beginners Guide To Home DIY Surgery, and work out if I can survive with one kidney. Just wanted to share my almost religious experience (and I'm an atheist). I haven't until now found the best financial incentive for giving up smoking. This is it.
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Have you ever played a regular tweed deluxe? They're a nice, somewhat more commonly available and cheaper alternative from plenty of other builders and have much the same vibe, although the Lazy J is an evolution of that sound.

There is also the tweed.... Super? It's basically a high powered tweed deluxe. Or maybe tweed twin? I can't remember what it's called.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Have you ever played a regular tweed deluxe? They're a nice, somewhat more commonly available and cheaper alternative from plenty of other builders and have much the same vibe, although the Lazy J is an evolution of that sound.

There is also the tweed.... Super? It's basically a high powered tweed deluxe. Or maybe tweed twin? I can't remember what it's called.

It just seems way more responsive to playing dynamics than a lot of Tweeds...maybe I haven't played enough Tweeds.
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2233
    edited June 2016
    Here's what I'm thinking... 1. Buy a used HRDIII, whack the C Rex speaker I have spare in it, use it for my pedals (H9, Particle, Nemesis, Flint, loads of ambient/shoegazey goodness). Then 2. Sell my '65 DRRI, put towards a Lazy J20, join the waiting list. I must be mental.
  • Or 3. Just give up f***ing smoking. 8 months of fags would pay for a Lazy J. Eejit.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    tFB Trader
    BintyTwanger77;1103797" said:
    Or 3. Just give up f***ing smoking. 8 months of fags would pay for a Lazy J. Eejit.
    And if you joined the list now, in 8 months you'd have enough cash and just be in time to pick it up! ;-)

eBay is your friend here, they come up from time to time, you just need to be ready to pounce.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5176
    There was a fully loaded j20 with Celestion blue at Peach last week for £1850...I blinked and missed it :)
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    tFB Trader
    tone1;1103917" said:
    There was a fully loaded j20 with Celestion blue at Peach last week for £1850...I blinked and missed it :)
    I was also hovering over the Add to Cart button, but I went downstairs to make a brew and mull it over....and when I went back up to buy it, it had gone! :-)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9585
    @bintytwanger77 - did you play it clean and break up ?
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24841
    Wazmeister;1104048" said:
    did you play it clean and break up ?
    So it's true that no relationship survives trying a Lazy J?
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9585
    Like it :)
  • richardhomer;1104054" said:
    [quote="Wazmeister;1104048"]did you play it clean and break up ?
    So it's true that no relationship survives trying a Lazy J?[/quote]

My relationship with my own sanity certainly suffered some fissure...that good.

Played with both, and mostly through the brighter channel.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    You're in luck. There's two in classifieds at the moment ;)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24841
    hotpickups;1104185" said:
    You're in luck. There's two in classifieds at the moment ;)
    Just so long as the owners of the other 10 keep hold of them for now, hopefully the price won't go into free-fall.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3497
    Here's what I'm thinking... 1. Buy a used HRDIII, whack the C Rex speaker I have spare in it, use it for my pedals (H9, Particle, Nemesis, Flint, loads of ambient/shoegazey goodness). Then 2. Sell my '65 DRRI, put towards a Lazy J20, join the waiting list. I must be mental.
    You could do those things or.... 

You could enjoy making music with the current rig you have which from what I've read seems more than capable of making some great sounds. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11892
    Find £600, place the order, spend the next 8 months to save up the other £1200 (or more if you add in other stuff)
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2233
    edited June 2016
    earwighoney;1104234" said:
    BintyTwanger77 said:

Here's what I'm thinking...

1. Buy a used HRDIII, whack the C Rex speaker I have spare in it, use it for my pedals (H9, Particle, Nemesis, Flint, loads of ambient/shoegazey goodness).

Then

2. Sell my '65 DRRI, put towards a Lazy J20, join the waiting list.

I must be mental.

You could enjoy making music with the current rig you have which from what I've read seems more than capable of making some great sounds. 
    Or that. Or very much that. I love what I have and I'm not going to sell my '65 DRRI, that was a "post-third pint" comment. :)
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 395
    Love my LJ20....only amp (except a Micro Cube) Journeying with drive pedals to suit it. Peacekeeper best one for me.. Get on the Q
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7489
    edited June 2016
    BintyTwanger77;1103797" said:
    Or 3. Just give up f***ing smoking. 8 months of fags would pay for a Lazy J. Eejit.
    Yeah, just do that. It's smart. Someone at uni gave up and within a year (edit: two years, he quit at the start of second year and bought car on graduation) got himself a second hand BMW in really good nick, just from religiously putting the cash into a jar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    edited June 2016
    Get your name down on the list; the wait is worth it and Jesse is a top dude to deal with along the way.

Plus, the latest ones come with a manual and everything!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3497

Or that. Or very much that. I love what I have and I'm not going to sell my '65 DRRI, that was a "post-third pint" comment. :)
    It's from personal experience.  I think it takes a while to 'get to know' a guitar, amp (effects are a whole different world) and so on and after buying far too many guitars over the last 3 or so years and got distracted by the quest.  Prior to that, for about 2-3 years solid I only ever played one acoustic guitar and made a lot of music in that time.   

Sometimes it's good to get away from 'the quest' and just play.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom