Played through a LazyJ 20 for the first time...

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    Yep. That's how I use mine exactly @crunchman :)
    crunchman;1105845" said:
    Where the Lazy J excels for me is at the edge of clean - where it sounds clean when you strum lightly but has some hair on the note when you dig in.  It's a warm clean, and I'm sure if you looked at the waveform on a scope that it wouldn't actually be clean but it sounds wondrous.

If you have it on the edge of breakup and then add a drive/boost pedal then it really gives a really good organic drive sound.
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1472
    Funnily enough the Lazy J Cruiser pedal sounds tremendous pushing the J20 over the edge.
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    tFB Trader
    crunchman said:
    Where the Lazy J excels for me is at the edge of clean - where it sounds clean when you strum lightly but has some hair on the note when you dig in.  It's a warm clean, and I'm sure if you looked at the waveform on a scope that it wouldn't actually be clean but it sounds wondrous.

If you have it on the edge of breakup and then add a drive/boost pedal then it really gives a really good organic drive sound.
    Spot on. Exactly how they are meant to be used IMO.
    Funnily enough the Lazy J Cruiser pedal sounds tremendous pushing the J20 over the edge.
    Spot on again. Absolutely awesome combination, yet the Cruiser sounded average at best with my EL84 amps.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9585
    crunchman said:

A perfect summary mate !
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9585
    I can see, to be honest, why people may not be blown away by the J...

If you love that clean/edge of break up into tweed sounds, you'll love it. Otherwise, you may be a bit underwhelmed maybe.

But as all the folks above have suggested, it does that couple of roles superbly :)
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    My Tweed Deluxe is a right thug if you push it... not in a 2000s HiFi O'drive way, but in a 1950s distorting Power Tube way where the pressure wave created actually hurts your ears. Now that is what I call vintage sound.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I agree that it's not primarily a clean amp. I've always struggled a bit with it's clean sounds cause I wanted it to be a bit faster blackface when clean. I could get there a bit with rolling the volume of the guitar down, but it's not really made for that. So though the cleans might not be the most sparkly out there, there's just something about them that make them irresistible too, and that the j20's feel and touch. Soooo juicy and dynamic it's just addictive! There's just something so 3D that other amps I've tried lack. Imo tweed will always be better than blackface for drive, and that's what the j20 definitely excels at! Glorious tweed drive!
    If one wants cleans then get that J40 that's going in the classifieds. Please just someone buy it :(
    tFB Trader
    If one wants cleans then get that J40 that's going in the classifieds. Please just someone buy it :(
    Agreed. Glorious, warm, 3D Clean and Earth Shattering, Neighbour Bothering Drive! Although these won't be Blackface cleans, still firmly in Tweedsville....
    (formerly miserneil)
    tFB Trader
    Also David, I really think you should try a J40 somehow. I know how you yearn for one every time one is posted and far be in for me to say but but I personally don't think it's for you. You'd have to have it so loud to get the bluesy breakup you like, it'd be unusable in most 'normal' gig situations - and I say this with a knowledge of having gigged one in similar sized gigs to yourself in the past. 
    (formerly miserneil)
    @miserneil You're right of course Neil it's too much for me really. I was thinking of a pedal platform when it comes to the J40. Albeit it's not where my sound is really ;)
  • garfygarfy Frets: 144
    I'm fairly new to the Lazy J20. I bought one a while back from a guy on here. its taken me around 2 months of tinkering to finally fall in love with her. When that happens its game over, each note has a warmth and character that I've never come across before and I've owned a few great amps. After reading on here regarding an extension cab and what a difference it can make I've emailed Jesse for recommendations. 
    tFB Trader
    @miserneil You're right of course Neil it's too much for me really. I was thinking of a pedal platform when it comes to the J40. Albeit it's not where my sound is really ;)
    Na, spending £2k+ on an amp to then use pedals to get a drive tone seems like madness to me. Wind up the wick on the J20 and let it sing :-)
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Get a cab definitely. Bit of a pain having to take another box to a gig but it does sound great.
    garfy;1106082" said:
    I'm fairly new to the Lazy J20. I bought one a while back from a guy on here. its taken me around 2 months of tinkering to finally fall in love with her. When that happens its game over, each note has a warmth and character that I've never come across before and I've owned a few great amps. After reading on here regarding an extension cab and what a difference it can make I've emailed Jesse for recommendations. 
    I was thinking of more modulation really like chorus or phaser etc but yes you're right trying to drive it with pedals would be pointless I get that :)
    miserneil;1106085" said:
    hotpickups said:

Na, spending £2k+ on an amp to then use pedals to get a drive tone seems like madness to me. Wind up the wick on the J20 and let it sing :-)
  • ruomaruoma Frets: 67
    garfy said:
    My experience also! Got a cab too but will switch the tayden for a second blue!
  • Wow, this thread has grown...

Well it's 24 hours on from my last post...and I still don't have £2,400 to spare, so still sticking with the fantastic amp I already have.