Any Suhr love?

What's Hot
NerineNerine Frets: 2182
I've just bought my first one.

An Antique Modern in white.

Really looking forward to it arriving. Good deal from Peach too.

Also, if it was any of you that bought the Neon Drip 80's shred Ltd Edition from GG, I hate you.

I bought it as well. Paid in full etc only to receive an email a day or two later, saying I was pipped by literally seconds on the purchase. Very very very annoyed about that.

Might be a blessing in disguise though, Floyd's do piss me off and I do like to be able to chop and change tunings a bit.

Anyone here rock a Suhr?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• No, they are the devils work  :P
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11959
    edited December 2013
    Always was too chicken to start trying them in Sounds Great
    Then saw a lovely one on ebay, it is a lovely example of a production guitar made to extremely high levels of quality and design, often you hear some backlash against these as if these are just tarted up. They are pretty, but they are very much improved guitars - even the pickups are special
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3297
    edited December 2013
    Was in Peach this afternoon...I was after a Classic T.

I think I know the guitar you bought (got a white Antique Modern myself).
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 366
    Had a GG custom modern, best gtr I ever had! Have one amp ( for sale) and pedals, pups... All top notch!!!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    That email thing is very poor form. If a guitar is sold it should be marked on the website immediately. Big black mark for that in my book. 

I hankered after one for years. I particularly love some of the top end Guthrie ones, but I wouldn't dare post any online videos of me playing one as the widdlers swarm like flies expecting amazing shredding.

Won't ever get one now anyway, but they do look very nice. Be sure to post pictures!

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33831
    I have two:

and

Love them although if I had to choose I'd go with my Anderson classic as it is a bit lighter.
    I put Suhr pickups in everything now.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17662
    tFB Trader
    I've always wanted to try one. 

I'm not a retrohead so I always like companies that try and improve on classics like G&L, PRS, Anderson, Feline etc. 
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2611
    edited August 2018
    I have two, a Classic and Pro Series.  They are great guitars. I'd only consider the more traditional looking Suhrs though - the moderns have a shredders vibe about them and I'm no-one's idea of a shredder so I'd feel I was promising more than I could deliver by strapping one on.

I do wish they made single coil guitars with more traditional styling and shorter scale models. Tom Anderson cover that ground but they don't hold their value well and are not easy to find used.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    Tom Anderson cover that ground but they don't hold their value well and are not easy to find used.
    Precisely why I bought my Tom Anderson- it was an absolute bargain used- like £1200 for a guitar that lists for £3600.
    It will be with me forever that guitar.

You do have to be patient though, as they don't come up often and sometimes the ones that do are bashed up or gaudy colours.
    Never, ever buy a new Anderson- let someone else take the monstering.
  • Never tried one but I'd love to. I loves me a good superstrat.
  • They are too perfect. Thats the worst thing I can say regarding Suhr guitars, and the main reason why i've been close to pulling the trigger twice and went with something else. I prefer a bit more 'fight' from my guitars, perverse chap that I am.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    I've owned two. Very well made guitars but they do have flaws (or mine did). They weren't quite the second coming in the build quality that they were hyped to be. Ultimately not for me for the music I play but I wouldn't say no to the right one.

@Jackobean to be fair you can make any guitar play like crap if you set it up badly enough :-p
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a lovely HSS S4, best neck for me on anything I've ever played.  It's rather spoiled me for playing anything else.

I'll echo the other comments about build quality and setup - perfect!
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10603
    tFB Trader
    Never got a chance to try one ... must remedy that. I'm very much left cold by super Strats ... but I'll give most things a blast ...
    Strangely I have a yen for a nice old Ibanez Jem 777 in yellow ...
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    I have a Suhr humbucker. Does that count? 
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Branshen said:
    I have a Suhr humbucker. Does that count? 
    Only if it's trem spaced in zebra or covered and you sell it to me ;-)

I really should get around to trying one of the guitars - they look great and I keep coming back to the p/ups - pretty much a standard upgrade to any guitar I buy.
  • i've had 2, an S3 which had a lovely neck and a Modern which was an incredible guitar, i too put Suhr Aldrich pickups in everything now, they are the perfect fixed JB to my ears

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IslandapeIslandape Frets: 64
    edited January 2014
    i've had 2, an S3 which had a lovely neck and a Modern which was an incredible guitar, i too put Suhr Aldrich pickups in everything now, they are the perfect fixed JB to my ears

Your S3 is the spit of mine except I have a maple neck.  As you say, the neck is lovely.  Out of curiosity, how does the Modern neck compare?
  • I like the look of them, but have never played one. I want a T-Style guitar in future and would seriously consider one of these. 
    Only a Fool Would Say That.

Please tell me you still have this one.
    That is fucking amazing.