richardhomer;1132209" said:
    [quote="Dominic;1132188"]I find them to be the elevator music
    You're wrong on a host of levels....[/quote]

Brilliant :D
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    breakstuff;1132286" said:
    [quote="richardhomer;1132209"][quote="Dominic;1132188"]I find them to be the elevator music
    You're wrong on a hoist of levels....[/quote]

Brilliant :D [/quote]

FTFY

" Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • Lol - I really struggle with Coldplay......

To me their music is largely unimaginative and unstimulating. I've never bought their records and can't imagine doing so. 

Its probably their unwillingness or inability to move from the middle of the road that makes them appeal to so many. 

The fella can obviously write a tune that appeals to the masses - and I think he is a positive fella who does his best to put some good vibes out there so I respect that......

I also think that in these dark times anything that bring people together in a mood of community and positivity is a good thing (as demonstrated at Glastonbury) so good luck to them I say.....

I just wish they'd use their position to do something interesting.......

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7300
    Lol - I really struggle with Coldplay......

To me their music is largely unimaginative and unstimulating. I've never bought their records and can't imagine doing so. 

Its probably their unwillingness or inability to move from the middle of the road that makes them appeal to so many. 

The fella can obviously write a tune that appeals to the masses - and I think he is a positive fella who does his best to put some good vibes out there so I respect that......

I also think that in these dark times anything that bring people together in a mood of community and positivity is a good thing (as demonstrated at Glastonbury) so good luck to them I say.....

I just wish they'd use their position to do something interesting.......

Well I eagerly pored through your analysis, finding an argument compelling enough to sway you to the point that you were willing to wish them luck would surely change my thinking. However after careful fact checking, cross referencing and peer review I discovered that Coldplay can fucking do one.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16161
    Dominic;1132188" said:
    I find them to be the elevator music
    You're wrong on a host of levels....
    I don't get it .......is that one of their lyrics /song titles ?
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24849
    Dominic;1132360" said:
    richardhomer said:

Dominic;1132188" said:I find them to be the elevator music

You're wrong on a host of levels....

I don't get it .......is that one of their lyrics /song titles ?
    No - but 4 'Lols' in, it's performing well enough for me to be comfortable with it....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5866
    edited June 2016
    I'll admit, I don't like everything they've done, but when one of theirs hits the spot it's amazing. Jonny Buckland comes up with some beautiful, entrancing guitar lines for their tracks, doesn't have to be a solo, just the layers he creates to produce something wonderful.

As for the recent stuff, I love his solo in True Love, Up and Up, Moving to Mars and Adventure of a Lifetime is a great catchy tune.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    They have done one song I really like.

Can take or leave the rest.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27246
    Their last album was a bit rubbish, and I don't like how much they're dropping the early songs from this tour's setlists, but every time I've seen them (Glastonbury 2005, Live 8, Earls Court, Wembley Stadium and the tiny Camden Dingwalls) they've been absolutely fantastic. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12426
    Thing with them and the likes of U2 is that the songs are recorded to sound big and expansive, when this is the case for me it loses any intimacy and immediacy and really lacks any bollocks Song for stadiums, mainstream mass market blandery.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9887
    I'm not sure I could like a band because of a light show or because they were engaging or whatever, if I really hated the songs to start with?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3068
    Music for people who don't like music.

A bit like The Lighthouse Family, but with LED wristbands. 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28345
    I'm not sure I could like a band because of a light show or because they were engaging or whatever, if I really hated the songs to start with?
    Yeah, but my thing was that I really disliked and dissed the band based on one song I didn't like. I think that they are actually a decent band - not a band I will ever buy music from or listen to, but not worthy of the vitriol that I previously aimed at them. Also, they are obviously a very good live band, and that is a good thing. I'm quite happy for others to still dislike them, but for me they have been upgraded to 'I'm indifferent'.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    not for me. Utterly boring.

I put them in the same bucket as Adele - obviously very talented, but its supermarket shelf music - the sort of music that is inoffensive, easy listening, not particularly interesting etc etc.

Their Glastonbury show IMO was awful - so dull it actually started to annoy me. Sickly sweet. Anyone with money and a big team can do a fancy lightshow at Glastonbury. Doesn't make a good show for me though. I'd like some edge and a bit of fire. Two things Coldplay lack for me. Songs like Fix You and Every Other One That Sounds The Same as Fix You, have about as much edge and fire as a spoon in a fridge.

Like I said, not for me.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1783
    I really liked the first 2 or 3 albums but after that found them a bit dull... but I've seen them live once and live shows on TV quite a few times and I totally love it. Then I get on spotify and listen to the most recent albums and think "this is really boring", then I see it live and think "this is amazing!" so I put spotify back on and realise it's still boring to listen to.
    So IMO they're amazing live and have learnt o write songs which excel in that area but I find they don't particularly work as recordings.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16161
    @richardhomer .............Jesus,I must be getting old ...........I've finally caught on !
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30949
    To the haters: Top tip: drop some substances, go see them, go dance and scream and sing to Viva La Vida. You'll feel good.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4611
    Need drugs to like Coldplay .. got it thanks
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28345
    Gassage said:
    To the haters: Top tip: drop some substances, go see them, go dance and scream and sing to Viva La Vida. You'll feel good.
    If there's one thing I've learned in life, don't give a sh*t about the haters. Life is too short. 
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    They do nothing for me.

I bought one of their early singles back in the day (still have it somewhere) - "Anyone Can Play Guitar" it's called. 

I should have seen the writing on the wall there and then because that statement is just not true - have they heard me??! 
    We are all Chameleons...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom