Tree surgeons, gardeners....xmas tree consultants..

What's Hot
BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
edited July 2016 in Off Topic

I planted a xmas tree (some kind of fir) for my daughter when she was around five years old (twas about 4 inches high).  Its now 20-30ft high and I want to know if I can take the top 6 to 10 ft off without killing it. At the moment its entangled with a willow, that I also planted for my daughter - can you see the theme !

Plant for daughter, she sods of to uni and leaves me with greenery she has no bloody interest in :(

Photos below.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28392
    Cut it off about a foot above the ground and post it to her at Uni?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    Sporky said:
    Cut it off about a foot above the ground and post it to her at Uni?
    Good Idea !   Yodel ?

• SporkySporky Frets: 28392
    I'm more of a throat-singer, but I'll have a go.

"Yodel - Ay - EEE - Oooo"
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4704
    No problem - the tree will be fine and will just get bushier.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    rlw said:
    No problem - the tree will be fine and will just get bushier.

Can I trim the bush to stop it interfering with my willow ?

Yes, I have tried another way to write that down but it still comes back to more innuendo. 

• rlwrlw Frets: 4704
    You can nip off the new growth in strategic places every year and remove the obvious bits after removing the top. Do it when the weather is colder though.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.

Brill, I'll do that.

I did bonsai the willow when it reached around 12 foot, but its gone ballistic again, so time for another cull this winter. I also had a monkey puzzle tree in the front that started to get slightly big despite it being in a container buried in the soil. I ended up selling that to a nursery who no doubt would have sold that for around £450. 

Yesterday I was mainly splitting and replanting Yucca plants.  I think I've reached that age where these things calm me down, prior to that, cutting the grass was my contribution to the Charlie Dimmock phenomena.

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1778
    I seem to remember it's not recommended to take off more than a third of the height at any one time. And doing it in the cooler autumn weather when the tree is growing less is better for it as far as I know.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    That willow is lovely. My favourite trees.
    ennspek said:

When I was a child aged 7, I watched my father die. To find some peace and rationalise the situation I would disappear into the school field and sit under a willow tree for hours on end.  So I planted that tree as a shady peaceful place to sit under in the summer, and perhaps later for any grandchildren to enjoy.

My daughters are career minded, so its doubtful they will have any planned children, so these days the hedgehog house sits underneath the willow along with next doors cat - lol

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    That 's very sad but quite beautiful sentiment....you must have a deep and feeling soul.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16725
    edited July 2016
    We had a willow in the garden planted by my Dad when my parents were still together. Their willow story was a memory of sneaking to the local park and doing gross things I don't want to think about. They took great delight in telling me that.

Oddly, the willow got chopped up not long after they split up.

Apologies for lowering the tone
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27611
    We had tree surgeons top some of the conifers in our garden.

They'd only do it at specific times of the year to reduce the risk of killing the tree.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16725
    TTony;1139800" said:
    We had tree surgeons top some of the conifers in our garden.

They'd only do it at specific times of the year to reduce the risk of killing the tree.
    If only it were that easy to kill a conifer

• ennspek said:

When I was a child aged 7, I watched my father die. To find some peace and rationalise the situation I would disappear into the school field and sit under a willow tree for hours on end.  So I planted that tree as a shady peaceful place to sit under in the summer, and perhaps later for any grandchildren to enjoy.

My daughters are career minded, so its doubtful they will have any planned children, so these days the hedgehog house sits underneath the willow along with next doors cat - lol

is it just me that read the bold text in a Kate Bush voice :s