Interesting Demographics

What's Hot
GassageGassage Frets: 30947
Until this week I never realised how many people from Leicester had originated from Wales and vice versa. Strange that?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26742
    Yep, it's kinda like wife-swapping except for places, with people.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    This is weird. I'm from Wales, and I've been to Leicester!
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    My wife is from Wales and once forgot to turn off the M1 onto the M6. She ended up in Leicester.

• lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Guy in work yesterday was saying "I think we'll do them" referring to Wales v Portugal-has a Welsh Grandad, I took the piss out of him and he tried to say he always follows our results, but I'm not so sure...

I can understand that people can be happy for teams (more their fans) as I was when Leicester won the league-but saying "us" and "we"?

Fuck off.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SRichSRich Frets: 763
    edited July 2016
    Yep, it's kinda like wife-swapping except for places, with people.
    I've heard of those parties where the keys go into a bowl.......I suppose this is the same but you put the 'Keys to the City' in the bowl and you end up with.....er......what you end up with.

^ not particularly well thought out and could do with some editing I think.......:)

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    lloyd said:
    Guy in work yesterday was saying "I think we'll do them" referring to Wales v Portugal-has a Welsh Grandad, I took the piss out of him and he tried to say he always follows our results, but I'm not so sure...

I can understand that people can be happy for teams (more their fans) as I was when Leicester won the league-but saying "us" and "we"?

Fuck off.
    I dunno… us and we can be an easy / convenient way of showing the side you're supporting at the time..
    I'm English and think of them in terms of us and we..
    my nan is Spanish and I think of Spain the same way..
    but of course if England played Spain I'd support England..

if Scotland, Wales, NI or ROI were playing someone I'd still think of those guys as us and we
    cos I guess it's a sort of kinship
    play every note as if it were your first
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    My fathers family moved to Wednsebury from Wales in the 19th century to work in the steel mills and factories - we still have family in Wales. Lots of Welsh people moved for better pay and conditions.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    "We" and "us" in the context of sport - including the local football team - is all tribal bullshit.  "We won the cup" - no, you didn't. The team you support won the cup....you're just the mug that pays the players' wages.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Clarky said:
    lloyd said:

Fuck off.
    I dunno… us and we can be an easy / convenient way of showing the side you're supporting at the time..
    I'm English and think of them in terms of us and we..
    my nan is Spanish and I think of Spain the same way..
    but of course if England played Spain I'd support England..

if Scotland, Wales, NI or ROI were playing someone I'd still think of those guys as us and we
    cos I guess it's a sort of kinship
    I get that, but I think he switched after England got knocked out....The true test is when you're playing each other (as we did this tournament) if you cheered England's last minute goal then I don't think that "we" is the right word IMO.

I'd never say we/us about England (cricket excepted) but I'll always say I want you/them to do well (unless surrounded by a bunch of English "fuck you sheep-shagger types" in which case I will celebrate the other team (in front of them) :)

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    edited July 2016
    My mate has a Welsh Border Collie, if that's any good?

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4323
    I've seen the Manics live loads of times, and I quite like leeks.

Come on Wales.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    I like Whales and I like Red Leicester cheese. It's incredible!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16301
    I have a Welsh surname and various rellies who live in Wales (including Welsh speakers) and was in Wales for part of last week including when the match was on. My parents lived in Wales for a while, before I was born, and my one brother born there. Whether I'll have conveniently forgotten all these links by this time tomorrow obviously remains to be seen...
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • edenfield99edenfield99 Frets: 349
    I have a Welsh surname and various rellies who live in Wales (including Welsh speakers) and was in Wales for part of last week including when the match was on. My parents lived in Wales for a while, before I was born, and my one brother born there. Whether I'll have conveniently forgotten all these links by this time tomorrow obviously remains to be seen...
    The Weary is a Welsh surname, I never knew that
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30947
    The Weary is a Welsh surname, I never knew that
    Eric Ap Weary, obviously!

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    edited July 2016
    I only ever say "we" and "us" if I actually contribute to a team's success. Which is never. I find it boorish, it's usually fat blokes talking about rugby, the truth being that they were only chosen at 8 when they were in school because they were fat.

I'm not sure what a soccer analogy would be - 'keeper?
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754

My daughter attends university in Leicester and I briefly studied at Trinity St David (University of Wales).

What next, the lottery numbers :)

• Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    Are these Welsh ppl in Leicester 1st generation 'migrants' or... ?
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2482
    My Begian colleague is currently pretending he's French. Personally I think he's going to struggle when he has to do a German accent.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    FX_Munkee said:
    My Begian colleague is currently pretending he's French. Personally I think he's going to struggle when he has to do a German accent.
    Why is he doing that?

If he's Flemish half of Belgium, German accent should be easier.  
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw