live performance with modern modellers... Helix, Axe FX, Kemper...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Sporky said:
    I think Roland has the AxeFX, Si has the AX8, John_A is dithering over buying a Helix and the rest of us have a Helix.

The main reason I'm dithering Is the other guitarist in the band is most likely going to stick with a traditional valve amp set-up, my last experience with modellers (Line 6 Flextone III) was that it sounded great on its own but just wouldn't cut through with a second guitarist.  We do sometimes encroach on each others sonic space anyway. 

Current;y we don't mic up, just use our backline, the PA has enough spare to allow us to mic or go direct, but that would certainly mean a change in mindset to reduce stage (floor)  volume

Amnd the other reason is I'm a ditherer :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 367
    I got a kemper and I quite like it and switching is quite fast using the kemper remote unit.

• johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    John_A said:
    Sporky said:
    I think Roland has the AxeFX, Si has the AX8, John_A is dithering over buying a Helix and the rest of us have a Helix.

The main reason I'm dithering Is the other guitarist in the band is most likely going to stick with a traditional valve amp set-up, my last experience with modellers (Line 6 Flextone III) was that it sounded great on its own but just wouldn't cut through with a second guitarist.  We do sometimes encroach on each others sonic space anyway. 

Current;y we don't mic up, just use our backline, the PA has enough spare to allow us to mic or go direct, but that would certainly mean a change in mindset to reduce stage (floor)  volume

Amnd the other reason is I'm a ditherer :)

Id never go direct if the other guitarist had an amp. Just not fair!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17849
    tFB Trader
    I'm using an Amplifire for live. 

If you don't need loads of bells and whistles the core sounds are brilliant.
  • johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    But id still get a helix if i were you and run it through your amp in 4cm
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1707
    I'm using an Amplifire for live. 

If you don't need loads of bells and whistles the core sounds are brilliant.
    I'd like something with built in tuner, controllable wah ideally to avoid extra pedals...
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17849
    tFB Trader
    It has a tuner which is alright. 

It can do wah with an expression pedal, but I have a wah already so I use that.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8826
    edited July 2016
    Sporky said:
    At the time I had replace my GT-8 the AxeFX was the only contender. If I were making that decision now then it would need more thought, because there's Helix, Ax8, or secondhand AxeFX to consider. Ultimately I'd end up with an AxeFX for the reasons given above:
    - Price is not a differentiator.
    - I'm happy to invest time learning how to use it.
    - I value the flexibility.
    Your criteria might be different.

Eventually the Market sales battle will be between Helix and Ax8. Helix should be the winner in that battle because it has a larger marketing budget and will get the sales volume. However it would only take a management decision to cancel further development on grounds of profitability or strategic direction and the battle would be wide open.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29011
    edited July 2016
    My brief experience with the AxeFX certainly left me wanting to find the money for one - but I am very happy with the Helix. I think they're probably all good options.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1707
    is there much between the various fractal offerings??
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• RolandRoland Frets: 8826
    edited July 2016
    is there much between the various fractal offerings??

Fx8 is effects only.
    Ax8 is effects plus one amp simulation.
    AxeFX Standard and Ultra have many more effects, with a lot of controllability, and can run two amp simulations at the same time. Software development is now frozen.
    AxeFX II has continued software development, which means ever better amp modelling. There have also been some improvements in effects, particularly reverb.
    The latest AxeFX has a few hardware changes. An optical rotary selector replaces the old mechanical one, which means it shouldn't wear out in the next 20 years. It can also store more patches and speaker IRs, but since I'm nowhere near exhausting the 384 slots on the II this is irrelevant.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    Looks like us poor Ax8 users are outnumbered 10:1
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29011
    I think a fair bit of that is that you can go to any major guitar shop now and buy one.

I had a look at the AxeFX stuff and it gave the impression that you had to know the secret handshake to be allowed to apply to buy one! A UK dealer - even just one - would surely help.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    Agreed there.. I was lucky any got my Ax8 for a great 2nd hand price. But like you said 99.9% of buyers an't get their hands on one locally. 
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9672
    Fractal stuff now shipping much much quicker from G66 (Germany) - superb service by the way