Origin Effects Slide Rig Compact Deluxe

What's Hot
LaurieLaurie Frets: 97
edited October 2016 in FX

Any of you slide guitarists out there using this?

I'd really appreciate your thoughts and opinions.

Thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LaurieLaurie Frets: 97
    edited October 2016

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Never tried the little one. Had one of the original big Sliderigs, which I thought was awesome, but just far too massive for the board, so went back to two Keeley Comps. In the end I sold both of those and bought another Mini BiComp, purely because I like having low squish and high squish available at a stomp. 

The Origins are probably the "best" compressors I've used, to be honest. If I played slide more than I do, which is a fair amount, I'd take the splurge with two of them, but it's just too much ££ for my ability!
  • Haven't got the slide rig, but I've got the Cali 76 CD and it's incredible. Love it! Heard good things about the Slide Rig though and loads of people rave about them.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1473
    I got one recently, and it really is brilliant. Bear in mind you can dial the second stage of compression right out of the signal and just blend the dry signal with the first stage for more conventional compression. I couldn't be happier with it.
  • i use the sliderig on 1 of my boards, it is awesome i love it and is 1 of my fave comps. now that its in the more compact size as well, much easier to get on the board. takes anywhere between 9-18v for more headroom. has a dry blend which i really like. 2 stage comp, just use the 1 stage for normal comp duties like the cali (altho with slightly less control due to less knobs) and dial in the 2nd stage for the 2 comps lowell singing sustain thing. the noise floor does go up a bit when doing this tho, but hey its 2 comps going into each other! for a good slide sound u really need a comp of some sort, this thing as it can do 2, and do it so well is just great. makes it so much easier to play slide.
    anyway check out the link theres 3 vids to watch.
    http://www.custompedalboards.co.uk/product/origin-effects-sliderig-compact-deluxe/

for all things pedal boards please visit www.custompedalboards.co.uk
    edited October 2016

Thanks for all the comments, opinions, etc. Greatly appreciated!

Please keep 'em coming - you know how it goes.. Whets your appetite while you're saving the dough to buy one.

My mind's %100 set on getting one, it's all just a matter of time, now.

Thanks again!  You guys are the best:)
    edited October 2016
    Alrighty! Just bought one from Chris @CustomPedalBoards ...

Great guy to deal with and communication at it's finest:)  Will be sure to buy more from CPBs in the future.

I'll post something in this thread once my SRCD has arrived, and I've had a chance to rock out with it.

Peace, love and all that positive stuff;)

Cheers..
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2016
    Okay, the Slide Rig CD arrived safely today and once again I must give a complimentary shout out to Chris Ryan from Custom Pedal Boards.  Thanks a lot Chris !!  You're a legend:)

I'm super surprised at how quickly it took for my pedal to be shipped from the UK to me in the ROC.  Royal Mail knows what they're doing!

I'm a little pressed for time right now, so may go 'stream of consciousness' with this post, just to get it all out while it's fresh.

I've bought a lot of pedals from the US and don't like the way they ship my pedals in flimsy single layered bubble wrap bags.  Many of the pedals I've bought over the years arrived with dents in the box and I've even had the foot-switch bent on one of the pedals I've purchased from the States.  Although, PGS have always been awesome and shipped stuff well protected.

But, Chris Ryan!  This is some next level shit !!  (Although, Adrian Thorpy also falls into the "some next level shit" packaging of fragile goods category).  Mate!  It was genius wrapping my new Slide Rig in, none other than a good healthy square of sound-proofing foam!!  And then after wrapping it in a nice thick layer of industrial grade sound-proofing foam, you took it even further by then wrapping it in more protective wrapping - and then placing it in a cardboard box!!  Hallelujah - a man who knows where it's at!!  Thank you!! (forgive all the exclamation marks)

My pedal also came with a nice pin-on badge with the "Custom Pedal Boards" logo on it! Super cool, and will be pinned on my jacket:)

Alright.  Now to the pedal.

Besides from loving the more traditional slide guitar innovators such as, Johnny Shines, Muddy Waters, Earl King, etc.. I also love, Ry Cooder, Derek Trucks, Sonny Landreth, Jack Pearson, Lowell George, John Mooney, Anders Osbourne, Kirk Lorange, etc, etc...

And straight off the bat, the Slide Rig CD nails the Lowell George sound/tone.  I actually got scared for a moment thinking Lowell George had possessed my Telecaster!  Uncanny how accurately the SR manages to capture the Lowell G. sound.  Totally awesome!

I just played at apartment levels, but did get a little confident and cranked my rig a little using the suggested SR setting(s) outlined in the manual, while also tweaking around and dialing tones in, and WOW!!

What also really blew me away, is the unlimited sustain you get (ultra sensitive) and the rich harmonically pleasing overtones which just blossom into the most glorious sound.  Man!  I feel a number 3 coming on just thinkin' about it! lol

Perfect compressor in a league of its OWN. 

The one thing I was a little concerned about was how it'd combine with OD and MAN!!  I ran my new SR into my Peacekeeper and well...  Quite possibly the coolest thang ever!  Sweet how the pre-amp on the SR pushes the PK and results in the most beastly and bad ass tone this side of the northern hemisphere.  Oh my goodness!!

I gotta stop!  I could just go on about this thing...  Time to play some more guitar!  Man the sustain!  Super quiet, too..  D00d:)

See ya;)
  • heeheee glad it got there safe n sound, packaging: u can never be 2 careful, u shud see how we wrap the boards! =)
    but yes the sliderig, is my fave comp at the moment for all the reasons above.
    welcome my son to compressor heaven.
    edited July 2016
    heeheee glad it got there safe n sound, packaging: u can never be 2 careful, u shud see how we wrap the boards!
    but yes the sliderig, is my fave comp at the moment for all the reasons above.
    welcome my son to compressor heaven.
    Thanks a lot, Chris!  Compressor heaven, indeed;)  Cheers mate..
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Other than the slide rig, any advice amp-wise for nailing the lowell george sound? I'm trying to advise a friend in Oz the best way to go.
  • he used fender twins a lot.
    if thats to loud for u then a lower wattage fender, its all about the rev!

also musicman amps and later dumbledores (in a fender stylee)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • for all things pedal boards please visit www.custompedalboards.co.uk
    edited August 2016

After a little web-research, it appears he used Fender Twins, old Music Man amps and "the" Dumble amp.

I have to say though, he seemed to get his sound no matter what he played through.  Was listening to a radio interview he did with Linda Ronstadt - here's the *link: 

In this radio interview, he plays through an old Silvertone amplifier and it's the unmistakable Lowell George sound in all it's glory!

Linda Ronstadt is such a great singer.  So cool and seriously hot, too! 

I'm considering modding my twin to a 50 watt  I forgot how heavy it is. I think laurie is probably right; whatever he played through he sounded like Lowell George. However, there are amps that support you and those that hinder. I wonder what smaller say 40 watt amps could help without limiting the cleans. And yes, a slide rig is essential. 
    edited October 2016
    lukedlb said:
    That's a great link!  Sounds like you're on the right track to nailing the Lowell George sound - and yeah, the SR is essential.

To be honest, I'm not a huge Lowell George fan.  Don't get me wrong, I love his music and own some of his albums.  But, I didn't buy the SRCD because I was chasing the LG sound.  For me, it was just a matter of getting more sustain out of my slide playing.  The Slide Rig is amazing!  Interestingly, I dialed in the Sonny Landreth sound with my new SRCD !!  Slide guitar heaven!!

the problem with little feat is the later 'weather report' territory as the rest of the band took over from an ailing George. I'll give Landreth a look see. I'm trying to find my way into Cooder territory too. Advice has been to stick to albums from the 70s. Paris, Texas remains a favourite.
    Listening to the audio links, George's vocal phrasing and excellent slide really come to the forefront in the early live gigs.
    i only see the rondstadt photo and no link.
    edited August 2016
    Hopefully this works:

This is also amazing:

Love, peace and all that good stuff:)
    *I edited the link in my above post, too.