Origin Effects Slide Rig Compact Deluxe

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    I just realised you're the same laurie with the chase tone. I had the same reaction with a lumpy's compressor; everything just sounded better without really being able to say how. What amp are you putting all your fine pedals through?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Links working. Thanks. 
    Wow, the landreth is great. Any advice where to start with his recordings?
  • LaurieLaurie Frets: 97
    edited August 2016
    lukedlb said:
    I just realised you're the same laurie with the chase tone. I had the same reaction with a lumpy's compressor; everything just sounded better without really being able to say how. What amp are you putting all your fine pedals through?
    Yep, that's me.  The one and only   I've never heard of, "Lumpy's" compressor - but if it does a similar job to the SL, or CBSecret PA, then I know exactly what you're talking about.  Everything just sounds better.  And I'm with you man.  It's without really being able to say "how".  Haha, funny when d00ds start using words like, "tone enhancer", "organic", more "mid-hump", etc, etc..  Just sounds better. (period).. 

The SR is very inspiring.  Because the notes sustain and "shimmer" (lol I did not just use that word!!) so blissfully, you wind up playing more melodically, while also leaving more space to let the music breathe.  Before acquiring the SL, I found because the sustain on the notes I was sliding to would just die out, (unless you go crazy with the vibrato), this lead me to play more/overplay as a way of compensating for the fact my notes had a very short and limited lifespan.  Whereas, once you've got unlimited sustain mixed with all the complex harmonically pleasing overtones, then it's a whole new ballgame.  This SR is a game-changer!

I run all my - sent me bankrupt - selection of FX pedals through a 5W, "Tallboy" 205 2x8" Valvetrain (Tweed Fender Princeton) and a Morgan PR12+ 12 watt thing.  My old 90's Tweed Fender Blues DeVille 4x10" is back in Brisbane, Oz - really miss that amp!  So, I hope to get a 4x10 cabinet with a good quality 30/40W head at some point, or I may just get the Grammatico 4x10 amp.  Which is probably what I'll do.

Glad the links are working.

lukedlb said:
    Wow, the landreth is great. Any advice where to start with his recordings?

To be honest, I wouldn't know.  Zydeco Shuffle was on a blues compilation CD I owned many many years ago.  I just check out Sonny Landreth's vids on YT these days.  I should buy a few of his albums, though.  John Mooney and Anders Osbourne are other guys to check out.  As well as Jack Pearson (Nashville) - he's a killer guitarist!

If your friend's in Oz, near Brisbane, he may get a chance to see Kirk Lorange play slide guitar.  By memory, he lives up on Mt. Tamborine.  Kirk used to rock down and play at many of the blues jam nights in Brisbane.  Beautiful slide guitarist!  Funnily enough, there's a YT demo video where Kirk demos the original "Origin Effects Slide Rig".  Cool video to check out and lift some of Kirk's cool slide stuff.

I was just talking to my younger brother about Wim Wender's film, "Paris Texas" the other day.  Great soundtrack!  There's an almost supernatural, out-of-this-world sound to Ry Cooder's soundtrack to this great film.  Choice listening!  I love the playing Ry did for Lightnin' Boy in Crossroads the movie.  RC is a seriously classy and sophisticated slide guitarist/musician.  I've got his Chicken Skin album, which I really recommend.

Maybe we should lob over to the "technique" end of the forum and get a slide guitar ,share your tunings, riffs, licks, etc.. thread?  Just an idea.  Although, I probably won't be around much once my holidays end, in a week or so.

To all the other fine gentlemen on this board.  Word of advice.  "Play more slide guitar".    

• Laurie said:

To all the other fine gentlemen on this board.  Word of advice.  "Play more slide guitar".    

Yes!! and get a decent comp to go with such as the SR or cali, or failing that, the little xotic sp comp is really good as that also has a blend. not as good as the SR but hey it is a bit expensive.
    but as u guys are saying it is a game changer and a i love the board that i have it on, its just bloody great. its not often i get all emotional over a pedal, never mind something like (i suppose boring to some) a comp, but it is just lovely and inspires me to play better and at the end of the day thats what its all about.

anyway, keep on slidin!
    for all things pedal boards please visit www.custompedalboards.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom