Running 9 volt FX pedals from a 12 volt battery?

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4993
Is it possible to run standard Boss type 9 volt FX pedals from a 12 volt battery.  I have an unused 12 volt sealed lead acid battery [ex electric golf trolley] that is doing nothing and I wondered if it could be used to power my FX pedals.  Thanks.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72610
    Yes. I don't know any 9V pedal that would be harmed by 12V - and with a battery, there's no danger of it putting out much more than the rated voltage, which some poorly-regulated supplies do.

There are a few pedals that will sound different, mostly vintage-type fuzzes.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6917
    Be careful with klons - the internal charge pump doubles the voltage from 9v to 18v, so a 12v input may cause that circuit issues/damage.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1639

Agree with IC, should be fine. However SLAs can put out massive current so fit an inline fuse of about 1 amp.

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72610
    ecc83 said:

However SLAs can put out massive current so fit an inline fuse of about 1 amp.

That is a good point.

That's also one of the things I don't like about these modern very-high-current (above 1A) switch-mode power supplies - they're capable of overriding the crude protection circuitry in a lot of pedals. If you reverse the polarity by accident, a supply like that won't shut down when the protection diode shorts it, it will keep on producing current until the diode burns away completely leaving the circuit unprotected, and often destroying the parts the diode was trying to save.

A 1A fuse should prevent that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1639

"We" used rechargeable SLAs for a time in test meters. Then a meter developed a fault and drew excess current (which an alkaline could not do) resulting in extensive burn out and swelled battery.

"More" is not always "better"!

Dave.