Which low gain overdrive? Any recommendations?

What's Hot
Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2431
For most gigging I use the natural breakup of my DRRI amp for on-the-edge and crunch tones, backing off the guitar's volume to clean up. The amp has power scaling to keep volume reasonable. Then my Ethos Overdrive is used for soloing, etc.

I'm experimenting more with a looper for electric guitar, which I've previously used only with acoustic guitar, so I want to get those on-the-edge and crunch tones into the loops - which means a pedal before the looper and the amp run clean. The Ethos is very versatile but always has at least a hint of that mid-rich Dumblesque sound and will not give me the pre-looper transparent crunch I'm looking for. So I've been looking at what pedal will achieve what I want, including being pick-responsive and cleaning up on the volume control. I use an ES-335, an Esquire and a Tele with humbuckers.

I tried a J Rocket Blue Note Tour Series which was really pretty good. The Tour Series version unfortunately doesn't have the Hot Switch of the discontinued original version but it's OK for my need. I'd like to also try a ThorpyFX Peacekeeper when I've got a chance. Any other suggestions please? The pedal needs to preserve the guitar tone faithfully with no mids emphasis, which rules out many od pedals, and I don't need high gain.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• slackerslacker Frets: 2254
    I suggest trying a Fulldrive 2 with the FM mode (flat mids).
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8025
    Mad Professor Sweet Honey. 

(Cheap version, Joyo Sweet Baby)

also, Timmy and Barber Burn Unit.
  • jpttaylorjpttaylor Frets: 465
    I'd have a look at the DOD 250. Clones can be had cheap, and it's neutral in the EQ until you get into medium/high gain territory.
  • stefken147stefken147 Frets: 51
    Caroline Guitar Company Haymaker ;) Even if I didn't have one for sale I'd be suggesting it, or the Blackout Effectors Mantra with low gain mod. 
  • You could do much worse than a boss od-3, though it may have a hair too much gain. The timmy is good, too. 

The od-3 is pretty transparent, certainly nothing like a tubescreamer (which most dumble style pedals tend to lean towards). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 660
    As others have suggested DOD250 or Boss OD3, I have both. I think the DOD might be my favourite boost/OD.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited July 2016
    Thorpy Peacekeeper.

It's all kinds of awesome and exactly what a low gain OD should be, to my ears.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • jaytmonjaytmon Frets: 168
    +1 for the Timmy, very transparent and as little crunch as you like - will work as a clean boost too. Personally I find it doesn't sound as good with more gain, but works well for that on the edge sound. 
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 617
    Barber Gain Changer
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2431
    Thanks for all the suggestions, which are much appreciated. Definitely the Peacekeeper is on my list to try and the Timmy also but I'll have a look at all the pedals that have been suggested here. The DOD250 interests me because the compressor I occasionally use is an ancient DOD FX80B and it's great.

I need to get myself over to Andertons, where they have a large selection of pedals, armed with your list of suggestions. Perhaps having a look at them on You Tube first, although that can be painful as you know ;)

Thanks again.
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1622
    Nobels OD1, XTS Imperial, both brilliant and v transparent

• pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    SD1, Guvnor
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28736
    Subdecay Liquid Sunshine is excellent for that. My favourite low-gain just-breaking-up pedal.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3674
    Either some form of Timmy (there are several clones around) or a TC Spark Boost.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    Way Huge Pork Loin.

My favourite low gainer.

• lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    Subdecay Liquid Sunshine. Still my favourite just on the edge of breakup overdrive and sounds wonderful with a SF Twin Reverb.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • jaytmonjaytmon Frets: 168
    Forgot about the Liquid Sunshine. One of the sweetest sounding low gain pedals I ever sold. 
  • Another liquid sunshine vote. Also, the 'low gain' channel of a T-Rex Mudhoney II is great for this type of thing. plus you get a really good cruch/lead channel with independent controls.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6118
    Beexter said:
    Barber Gain Changer
    Either this one or else The Barber Direct Drive if you prefer a smoother overdriven sound. Both excellent pedals.
  • DanDan Frets: 441
    +1 for a Timmy of some sort. Used it with a few Fender amps ive brought (and sold!) and give a great edge of breakup transparent low gain overdrive.