Calling MJW amp owners

What's Hot
TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
I recently returned a victory sheriff 22 head because that amp really really hates a drive pedal in front of it. In terms of heads only, which mjw is hardwired , no more than 20 watts, can be power scaled down to baby in next room volume, has a series fx loop, can have external bias points fitted, has a presence control, takes pedals like a champ  and uses el34 or 6l6 tubes ? Thanks for any suggestions.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28745
    Probably simpler to ask @martinw ?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17680
    tFB Trader
    Mjw is a custom shop he can build anything
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
    As above. Copy and paste your post in a message to Martin at MJW. Sounds to me like you are mostly describing Martin's V6-20 although with different power tubes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    Do the MJWs take pedals well, then?
    I'm in touch with him, hoping I can get something special...

That really sucks about the sheriff 22 - was it so bad (what sound did you get)? Can you post clips? I'm getting a and folk say they take pedals well.
  • SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 660
    I've got an Electra Grind head (50 watt version) which I'm toying with the idea of selling as part of a wider clear out.
    I gave it a quick blast at the weekend just for the hell of it. The only pedals I have at the moment are an EP Booster, which fattened my Strats single coils up nicely and a Maxon OD9, which gave me a nice lead tone.
    I used a Fulltone OCD with it in the past which also worked well.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11942
    Not every amp takes every pedal well.  Each amp is different, just as each pedal is different.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • MkjackaryMkjackary Frets: 776
    My roadstar twin does pretty much all of the things you are asking for.

Martin is the best guy to speak to, he makes them after all.
    I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?
  • SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 660

Not every amp takes every pedal well.  Each amp is different, just as each pedal is different.  
    As demonstrated perfectly here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0Q_Uc4Tc8o&index=22&list=PLlXYVdnj0ogdkxgZdOMmZ5nwLWQ3rReCe
    Hell it seems everybody has an MJW!
    It is easier and probably cheaper to find an amp with a core tone that you like, then buy your pedals to suit.  As opposed the opposite way round. 
  • TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
    IMO the heart of great tone lies with a great clean foundation. The sheriff 22 just hated my maxon od808 in front of it and every other amp tried just worked like magic with that unit, like Lee Anderton describes in a roundabout way, the sheriff goes dark, compressed and flat sounding when you engage drive from a pedal. I loved the cleans which the sheriff delivered, but stand on a pedal and the tone goes to pot. If mjw made an amp with bell like cleans that don't sound like sterile hi-fi and works a treat without over compressing when pedals are engaged, I'd sure like to hear about it.
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1633
    I'd like to give a vote to the MJW Roadstar 18. 

I recorded this this today in the studio it's my MJW Roadstar Combo, Band of Gypsys Fuzz Face and a 60's Classic Series Telecaster. 

http://s1381.photobucket.com/user/Shaunm11/media/Mobile Uploads/00436472-B890-4BBD-9859-96C842F0BB17_zpsqoeql250.mp4.html

• martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    Thanks for the mentions! :) I know the OP didn't ask me specifically, but here's my answers. bear in mind my waiting list is 6 months though.

Telejester said:

In terms of heads only, which mjw is hardwired, 

All of them.

no more than 20 watts,
    V6-20, Roadstar 18, Bantam, something custom. (Also Goldstar and Cub, but guessing you didn't mean that low.)

can be power scaled down to baby in next room volume,
    All of them.

has a series fx loop,
    Option on all except Bantam and Cub

can have external bias points fitted,
    Any that need it, i.e. are not cathode biased. In this area, just the V6-20, or variations thereof.

has a presence control,
    Only the V6-20 in this group has negative feedback, required for a true presence control.

takes pedals like a champ
    I think all of them. Subjective to some extent, but the gain structures/overdrive character of all my amps is set up that way.

and uses el34 or 6l6 tubes ?
    It would have to be a custom version of the Roadstar or V6-20 in the sub 20W area. The Electra is 30W (nominal) with either EL34 or 6L6, and isn't significantly louder than the V6-20. The V6-20 uses 6V6s as standard and the Roadstar uses EL84s. With Power Scaling, the issue of power is less relevant anyway; choose the valve type you prefer the sound of.

Give me a call or email if you want further information.
    Cheers.

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Bantam owner here - it takes pedals extremely well. I thought I'd bemoan the lack of a loop, but it really doesn't need it. It's a glorious little thing and now my main gigging amp.
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    edited July 2016
    Ring Martin. It's a pleasant and informative experience.
    I note the Electra has no MID control on the clean channel. Wonder why that is? 
    tFB Trader
    I note the Electra has no MID control on the clean channel. Wonder why that is? 
    Many Fender type amps don't. 
    Oh? 

Also... I note some amps have a footswitchable FX loop.. one review says when you switch it out you get 100% valve power. What does this mean? What's the benefit of switching it out? 
    tFB Trader
    So you can turn the FX off :)
    Like a bypass.