Anyone using Tone City Pedals? or other extremely affordable OD's?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• so does anyone have any actual first hand experience of Tone City? or the Jet City pedals? or have any recommendations for other low cost OD's that actually sound great/are reliable?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    For cheap I don't think you can beat 2nd hand Boss pedals. At least there won't be any reliability issues with them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    Tc electronic Dark Matter? I've got one. It was cheap but it doesn't feel it. Goes from a growl to a roar like a good 'un. 
  • simonbeckwithsimonbeckwith Frets: 215
    edited July 2016
    Just picked up a DopeFx Everything Zen (£40) from this forum. I dont use an od boost much but this sounds great and a damn sight cheaper than the original!! Great stuff. Also the Digitech Bad Monkey is a quality cheap alternative. Theres some quality clones out there nowadays.
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Sassafras said:
    For cheap I don't think you can beat 2nd hand Boss pedals. At least there won't be any reliability issues with them.
    This +100
    never been let down by Boss
    as Pete Thorn said " why make it complicated? Use Boss"
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • wattingwatting Frets: 2
    Nice one @watting how would you compare the sweet cream to other od's you have owned?
    I'm probably not the best person to ask about this, as I guess I have a lot less experience with ODs than most on here. My other ODs are a Hot Cake, which was my first and still my favourite, and a BD-2. I like the Sweet Cream though, it is a lot brighter than the others, which makes it more suitable for lead work, whereas the other two seem to suit rhythm. One nice feature is a "touch" control that allows you to blend the clean and dirty signals, which makes it quite versatile.
  • cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 360
    Not particularly small but they are always bloody cheap, the Blackstar LT range, particularly the boost and the drive, are excellent pedals IMHO.
    Think I'm on my 2nd and 3rd respectively. I get rid of them to try something else only to realise they were better to begin with. Our rhythm guitarist also uses the boost....guess who he bought it off?
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I've got the TC dark matter, it's a pretty good solid overdrive/distortion.
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    The mooer range are great period. Not just for the money, with the exception of some of their digital ones like reverb.
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    edited July 2016
    I don't usually buy expensive drives because the problem of 'how do you make a distortion box sound good' is very much a solved problem. I'll pay more for delays and reverbs because dsp isn't cheap but It isn't worth shelling out more for another variation on an established circuit to me.
  • ChrisCox1994ChrisCox1994 Frets: 368
    Digitech Bad Monkey, wicked pedal, great low gain bluesiness with a strat with a low and high pushed up a bit, never gets screachy, great boosting a gained up amp. Just great all round.
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • eugh look what i went and did...  :'(

I tried, really i did. I tried soooo hard to buy cheaper pedals knowing that i can get a sound i want, while freeing up the money i desperately need. But then what happens? Some utter blaggard up and offers me a pedal i just can not refuse, and poof goes all my currently recouped money!

"Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try." - Homer Simpson