Steel String Singer type pedal?

What's Hot
marcus449marcus449 Frets: 151
Heard a few demos of the Jetter GS103 and love the sound however doesn't seem to be many ones in the UK as it discontinued.

I have a tele and a tweed deluxe and really looking for the crisp dumble type sound.

Anyone with that million dollar answer from a pedal?

Also has anyone tried the Rockett Lenny Pedal? Seems like it could be an option
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    The LOL'ing will be extreme I'm sure, but Vertex have one coming out at some point soon.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • marcus449marcus449 Frets: 151
    edited July 2016
    @simonk I'm sure it will, there are pedals out there though!

yeah I saw that, we'll see how that sounds when it's out
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30306
    Way Huge Overrated Special is supposed to do the Dumble sound (whatever that is).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    I can make a noise that I would describe as being Robben Fordy with a Strat through my Carl Martin DC Drive into an HRDx....It came as a surprise to me as well because I bought the pedal years ago as a heavy drive!   Not sure if Robben Fordy is what you're after mind
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2431
    Perhaps the J Rocket Audio 'The Dude' will give you what you're describing. There are several You Tube reviews of it including a good one by Shawn Tubbs.
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    The "Steel String Singer" tone is not the typical "Dumble" tone. Most Dumble-voiced pedals are voiced specifically on Robben Ford's Overdrive Special amp. The Steel String Singer is far cleaner, much more traditionally Blaclface sounding. 
    Bearing in mind you're going through a Tweed, you will need something fairly heavily voiced to cut through the amp's EQ section. The Lenny looks great, but I've never tried one. Wampler Black 65 at *very* low gain with some kind of subtle compressor could also be very nice. I've always found Tweeds respond "the worst" (not making a bad sound necessarily, just not the way the pedals intend) to amp-in-a-box pedals. They're normally too dirty and too middy for the kind of platform these pedals often need, they are also slightly too compressed. The reason I mention a compressor, however, is that they can add some "sheen" without adding any squash, which can add to the SSS tone.

• rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2462
    As said above, the SSS is basically a loud clean blacface style sound. if you're using a tweed amp, I would say go for an eq pedal to cut and boost the necessary frequencies to get you about there. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    Sassafras said:
    Way Huge Overrated Special is supposed to do the Dumble sound (whatever that is).
    it's not - it's just a tweaked green rhino - it has dumble knobs and a clever name to mock the dumble, but it sounds and is not supposed to, nothing like a dumble
  • darcym said:
    Sassafras said:
    it's not - it's just a tweaked green rhino - it has dumble knobs and a clever name to mock the dumble, but it sounds and is not supposed to, nothing like a dumble

Perhaps it's my cloth ears combined with most other dumble inspired boxes being tubescreamers with more gain and extra bass, but I'd imagine a tweaked green rhino would pretty much clone something like those hideously expensive hyped overdrive nation big blooms (lol remember that guy? Bought an expensive Japanese dumble in a box, reversed it, cloned it and undersold to "make back his losses" - still on his product line, the knob). 

That was loosely tubescreamer based. 

Overdrive special based though. I'd imagine a versatile eq would be better for a steel string singer clean tone though. 
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3674
    Isn't the Euphoria supposed to be Wampler's take on the Dumble sound? It's a really excellent and very versatile pedal.

• preston61preston61 Frets: 690
    Seeing as every other Dumble pedal has been mentioned I suppose I should probably mention the Ethos Overdrive, which has a fully EQ'able clean channel as well as the overdrive and boost on top. It's regarded as one of the best dumble style pedals for good reason (yes I have one in the classifieds)
  • philrob1philrob1 Frets: 21
    J Rocket Lenny is supposed to capture the SSS sound
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Sassafras said:
    I think the Overrated Special as another modded Green Rhino. 
    Most, if not all, Dumblesque pedals aim for an Overdrive Special sound rather than the SSS. I use an Ethos Overdrive which IMO sounds best with a clean or on-the-edge amp. I tried it with a mate's tweed deluxe and it lost its crispness and did not sound good to my ear. The tweed deluxe had nothing like the clean headroom of my 65 DRRI. This really backs up the comments of @JDE and @rossyamaha.
  • johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    edited July 2016
    I can't believe this thread got this long and no ones mentions the Zendrive. Unless I've missed the post?

Not anything like a SSS clean sound but it's what Robben Ford uses to sound like Robben Ford so you can shove all those other boooteeek makers pedals and just get the Zendrive... It's what Robben would want you to do
    I can't believe this thread got this long and no ones mentions the Zendrive. Unless I've missed the post?

Not anything like a SSS clean sound but it's what Robben Ford uses to sound like Robben Ford so you can shove all those other boooteeek makers pedals and just get the Zendrive... It's what Robben would want you to do

As you say, not anything like a SSS clean sound - which the OP is after. Did he say he wanted to sound like Robben Ford?

The Zendrive is a good pedal, I used one for a few years, but it's very much a one-sound pedal - which is why I moved to an Ethos for greater flexibility. But even the Ethos will not get a SSS sound. I doubt that the OP can get the sound he wants using a tweed deluxe as a platform but the Lenny might be worth a try.

I suggested The Dude because it's the only Dumblesque pedal I have experience of that could sound ok-ish through a tweed deluxe at volume. I've not tried a Lenny.

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Are you looking for a distorted Dumble sound?  

What about a Voodoo Lab Giggity?

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30306
    I'm surprised no-one's suggested the OP buying a Dumble SSS.
    It'd be slightly cheaper than the million dollar answer he's looking for.
    In fact, he could probably get one for under a hundred grand. That's a big saving on his original budget.
     :) 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    Jimbro66 said:

As you say, not anything like a SSS clean sound - which the OP is after. Did he say he wanted to sound like Robben Ford?

The Zendrive is a good pedal, I used one for a few years, but it's very much a one-sound pedal - which is why I moved to an Ethos for greater flexibility. But even the Ethos will not get a SSS sound. I doubt that the OP can get the sound he wants using a tweed deluxe as a platform but the Lenny might be worth a try.

I suggested The Dude because it's the only Dumblesque pedal I have experience of that could sound ok-ish through a tweed deluxe at volume. I've not tried a Lenny.

Wow someone's not had their coffee 

I never offered the Zen as an SSS soloution. And tweed amps can sound ok  with a Zen depending on what eq controls are on the amps. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom