How much gain does the Boss BD-2 / BD-2w have

What's Hot
timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
im comparing against the waza SD-1w

enough for 80s rock or should I be thinking about a Keeley DS-1?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    edited July 2016
    its a bluesy overdrive - so I'd say definitely not unless you cascaded it with something or gave it a massive kick in the front with a booster to drive it much harder. I'd say look elsewhere...but there are plenty demos on youtube...if you've ever heard of it ? Lol :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ...there's a Digiech Blues pedal for sale in the classifieds - £20 posted - worth having as its a cheap pedal that sounds very similar to the Boss wun. Stick another OD like an SD-1 or a TS type and the 2 together will do a great 80's rawk toanz.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    siraxeman said:
    ...there's a Digiech Blues pedal for sale in the classifieds - £20 posted - worth having as its a cheap pedal that sounds very similar to the Boss wun. Stick another OD like an SD-1 or a TS type and the 2 together will do a great 80's rawk toanz.
    Wiz.

Screaming blues is a great pedal, the separate EQ makes it more usable than the BD-2 IMO. Helps to dial out the hi gain fizz aswell.

Owned both and couldn't really hear a difference between them, specially given the price difference.

• JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 908
    My BD2 has loads of gain, plenty for rock and metal. I've used it to play covers of White Wedding, The Power of Love and Breaking the Law (boosted with a TS808) so it can handle some 80's rock.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 350
    Yeah, the BD2 strikes me as being pretty versatile.  Good for transparent lowish gain tone, but also will provide surprising amounts of drive for heavier stuff.
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    I have an SD-1w and I'd say the BD-2w has more gain, less mids so it perhaps it doesn't stand out in a mix quite as well. Depending on the guitar and amp etc.
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    @timmysoft I can't imagine a better combination than the SD-1w punishing the front end of the BD-2w  ;)
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17625
    tFB Trader
    The Blues Driver has got quite a bit of gain, but it's not the pedal I would choose for 80's rock.
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    Quite a bit. Enough for 80's rock rhythm definitely, probably not enough for leads.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    As above
    although goose it with any overdrive pedal and it goes pretty gain and sounds very rich
    its a surprisingly rocky sounding drive pedal considering its name

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    hugbot said:
    Quite a bit. Enough for 80's rock rhythm definitely, probably not enough for leads.
    I don't do leads! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Throw your guitar in the bin and hand back your hero card!
    what so you mean you don't do solos!!! That's like those weird people that don't eat pudding
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Cabicular said:
    Throw your guitar in the bin and hand back your hero card!
    what so you mean you don't do solos!!! That's like those weird people that don't eat pudding
    It's not that I don't want to, I'm just very shit at leads, always been the rhythm guitarist and that's what I've always enjoyed!
    You sound like my dream band mate :)
  • I like it well enough, but the boss od-3 has less ice pick on top so consider that. Amazing pedal. 

Another is the da-2. Yeah, it's digital... But ignore that and you've got a great rock pedal. The ds-1x is very good, too. 

But I reckon if you've got an sd-1, you should demo it alongside the od-3, bd-2 and ds-1 (stock or modded). Sd-1 into ds-1 is a bit of a classic combination and has 80s written all over it. 
    Angry Charlie or even better sweet tea is a shoe in but more expensive
    my current top of the pops for doing the old theme from top of the pops is the Marvel FX Rambler 3
    its incredibly Marshall esque
    edited July 2016
    If you want summit cheap that does 80s rawk toanz get a moorer cruncher....basically the same pedal the angry Charlie was cloned from for less than the cost of a BD-2. or even a RAT or moorers BLACK SECRET RAT clone.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17625
    tFB Trader
    siraxeman said:
    If you want summit cheap that does 80s rawk toanz get a moorer cruncher....basically the same pedal the angry Charlie was cloned from for less than the cost of a BD-2. or even a RAT or moorers BLACK SECRET RAT clone.
    The Angry Charlie is clone of the Crunchbox which would be a Mooer Cruncher.

The Black Secret is a RAT (which would be very good for 80's tones)
    Everyone says that but I've owned a crunch box and I can categorically say they don't sound the same
    also I've not had a Mooer pedal with a noise floor I can live with. Combination of tight space and cheaper components. They sound alright at low volumes but hells teeth ... At gig volumes they are a real struggle
    I can't say I've ever noticed this higher 'noise floor' I've got the Dark Secret and the Cruncher - and well, my current main pedal is the Wampler Pinnacle - it edges it just slightly (for me) over the Cruncher - but it really is a close race..but the price difference is MASSIVE between the two...noise ????? What is this? And from a dirt pedal ? :lol: