4 Way Gang Mains Power Extension Lead

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15991
what's best for pubs/stage.....is there one available out there that's better suited for the gigging muso?
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2462
    Better suited to the gigging musician? Whatever is on special offer. ;-)

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1639

Funny you should ask this! I am in the process of clearing up and re vamping the "studio" bedroom. I pulled out a 4 way P strip and was shocked (almost literally!) to find the white plastic had "evaporated" around the mains lead entry exposing the live conductor. This strip powers just a couple of Tannoy active monitors and there is no sign of overheating.

I had one crumble away the same about 2 years ago but that lived back of the fridge and I put it down to mild heat.

Yes, these are just Bargain Store jobs at £5.99 but I am careful to keep the loads well under 300watts or so, but then if I paid £10 or more for a 4 way how do I know it won't go the same way?

I have contacted my local CCouncil so that I can send the strip to Trading Standards.

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 993
    I'd suggest finding one with an RCD in it, has a chance it might save you a belt one day.

Might even suggest it's been tested to a standard...
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15991
    edited July 2016
    ecc83 said:

Funny you should ask this! I am in the process of clearing up and re vamping the "studio" bedroom. I pulled out a 4 way P strip and was shocked (almost literally!) to find the white plastic had "evaporated" around the mains lead entry exposing the live conductor. This strip powers just a couple of Tannoy active monitors and there is no sign of overheating.

I had one crumble away the same about 2 years ago but that lived back of the fridge and I put it down to mild heat.

Yes, these are just Bargain Store jobs at £5.99 but I am careful to keep the loads well under 300watts or so, but then if I paid £10 or more for a 4 way how do I know it won't go the same way?

I have contacted my local CCouncil so that I can send the strip to Trading Standards.

Dave.

where can I hear this Trading Standards?
    tae be or not tae be
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28739
    Brennenstuhl.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4993
    @ecc83 £5.99 for a power distribution block. Total lunacy! Get a couple of MK or Crabtree double sockets and surface boxes.  Mount them on a short board, wire them up.  Job done.  When dealing with mains electricity, do it right the first time.  You may not get another chance.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Rocker said:
    @ecc83 £5.99 for a power distribution block. Total lunacy! Get a couple of MK or Crabtree double sockets and surface boxes.  Mount them on a short board, wire them up.  Job done.  When dealing with mains electricity, do it right the first time.  You may not get another chance.
    Those sockets are not designed nor approved for mobile or non-permanent use. As an electrician (as I believe you've claimed to be) you should known that and should not be suggesting inappropriate uses.

Brennenstuhl or RPP if you want it to last and be legal. Any old crap if you don't care.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    By the time we run lights, PA, Amps etc we use 4-6 per gig and that's not including the rack mount psus I try and buy sturdy looking outdoor use ones (orange cabled) but I also wouldn't dream of wiring myself to it
    line 6 G30

I see absolutely no reason to believe that a 6 quid, basic, unswitched  4 way diss strip should be anything other than safe. I would never suggest them for arduous field duty nor would I ever load one to more than a quarter of their rating but they should run a couple of small active monitors, a wee Berry mixer and a USB hub PSU all day long, forever!

In any case the problem was not loading or mechanical stress it was the plastic de-naturing and I don't care if you have a degree from the IEE you could not have predicted that!

I shall now of course buy more expensive strips but how do I know THEY won't go the same way in 5 year's time?

Dave.

edited July 2016
    I agree - £6 ought to get something adequate to the task. But if I was gigging I'd have no problem spending £30 or so on something from someone I trust.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31675
    ecc83 said:

I see absolutely no reason to believe that a 6 quid, basic, unswitched  4 way diss strip should be anything other than safe.

I agree, but I always take them apart and check all the connections before I use them. I've known a couple of people who have built these at home on a piecework basis when down on their luck, and the training and testing procedures are a joke.

I'd avoid the very, very cheapest ones, but your average stuff from big name supermarkets is fine, decent quality plastic and heavy enough brass parts.

I always check mine and run the whole band off an RCD.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10458
    Use black 4 ways with black cable .... White ones look shit on stage. Buy the ones that are serviceable . Not plastic riveted together 
    Buy 10 amp or 13, never 3 or 5 amp unless you can be sure those ones will only ever be used for very light duty 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    Whatever you use make sure the cable is straight to maximise the tone and to draw out every ounce of dynamics. :)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    p90fool said:
    ecc83 said:

I see absolutely no reason to believe that a 6 quid, basic, unswitched  4 way diss strip should be anything other than safe.

I agree, but I always take them apart and check all the connections before I use them. I've known a couple of people who have built these at home on a piecework basis when down on their luck, and the training and testing procedures are a joke.

I'd avoid the very, very cheapest ones, but your average stuff from big name supermarkets is fine, decent quality plastic and heavy enough brass parts.

I always check mine and run the whole band off an RCD.

I see no reason to take such a thing apart? In any case many are blind riveted or in this case, tamperproofs.

I would like to stress once again! This is NOT a band/gigging situation but a fixed site, domestic very low power use.

All my power is on an RCD and there is an additional RCD 13A outlet in the kitchen for kettle and toaster.

Dave.

Cabicular said:

Got something similar in my kitchen. But how do you know THAT plastic won't crumble?

Dave.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Rocker said:
    It will work yes. 
    But I wouldn't recommend it. 
    If you are gonna go down that route I'd suggest IP66 sockets at least. 
    Even then they are not designed for portable use. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105

Sporky said:
    Rocker said:
    Those sockets are not designed nor approved for mobile or non-permanent use. As an electrician (as I believe you've claimed to be) you should known that and should not be suggesting inappropriate uses.

Brennenstuhl or RPP if you want it to last and be legal. Any old crap if you don't care.
    Plastic is pretty brittle on those too. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    Does nobody have bother with buzzing / humming using these?

I plugged my new DSL5 into one at home and it was really noisy. If I plug straight into the wall it's totally fine. It's not a dear one, but it's not a cheapy one either.