4 Way Gang Mains Power Extension Lead

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28739
    I'd check the earth is actually wired on that one then. An extension shouldn't result in noise or buzz normally.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4993
    @ecc83, you did state that the sockets are in your bedroom studio. For road work / gigging I suggest the use of metal 13 amp sockets from MK or Crabtree.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1639
    Rocker said:
    @ecc83, you did state that the sockets are in your bedroom studio. For road work / gigging I suggest the use of metal 13 amp sockets from MK or Crabtree.

Yes, bedroom and no kids, no pets no central heating. AFAIK those metal sockets still have rigid plastic parts and I have seen them cracked. I think you need shatterproof rubber/plastic for road use.

Dave.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72673
    Danny1969 said:
    Use black 4 ways with black cable .... White ones look shit on stage. Buy the ones that are serviceable . Not plastic riveted together 
    Buy 10 amp or 13, never 3 or 5 amp unless you can be sure those ones will only ever be used for very light duty 
    This. Always assume the worst case, which is that your four-gang will be plugged into the only available socket on stage, and will have another four four-gangs plugged into it!

Despite the melodramatic radio adverts you hear, this is completely safe *provided* that all the extensions have the correct fuses for the cable rating - or more importantly vice versa, which means that you need to assume 13A fuses will be fitted and use cable that will take that. Also contrary to popular 'wisdom', this is also the safest arrangement from a shock-hazard point of view, since it eliminates a live to earth fault between two separate circuits, and means that a main fuse blow will turn *everything* off at once.

The heavier cable is also more physically robust, which is a useful bonus.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ecc83 said:
    Rocker said:

Yes, bedroom and no kids, no pets no central heating. AFAIK those metal sockets still have rigid plastic parts and I have seen them cracked. I think you need shatterproof rubber/plastic for road use.

Dave.

Apologies @ecc83 if my reply reads nasty, not intended I can assure you. I have poor experiences with shatterproof (rubber like outers) sockets. One went o/c and power stopped. Not good in a band situation.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Another important point in this age of litigation is that a DIY extension, no matter how well-made, could get you into trouble if something goes wrong if you use it for gigging - whether or not it's anything to do with the extension. I've got one I made, a wooden cable reel made from 3/8" ply with a really solidly glued box in the middle with four metal MK sockets mounted in it. I wouldn't use it anywhere in public though - only ever ones made from approved-for-purpose components.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • AdjiAdji Frets: 142
    tFB Trader

Haha I find these hilarious.  Multi thousand pounder kettle leads and that. I laughed my tits off "for just 150 more add mains zapperator " haha at least give it an expensive sounding name.

Adji said:

Haha I find these hilarious.  Multi thousand pounder kettle leads and that. I laughed my tits off "for just 150 more add mains zapperator " haha at least give it an expensive sounding name.
    Cheap shot my friend. The same can be said about guitars, watches, bicycles, workshop tools, jeans, shotguns, mobile phones etc.. Most things that you buy have equivalents somewhere that are much more expensive than what is enough to do the task required.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• SporkySporky Frets: 28739
    Rocker said:

Cheap shot my friend. The same can be said about guitars, watches, bicycles, workshop tools, jeans, shotguns, mobile phones etc.. Most things that you buy have equivalents somewhere that are much more expensive than what is enough to do the task required.
    But an expensive watch doesn't claim to improve the passage of time.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1639
    Sporky said:
    Rocker said:

But an expensive watch doesn't claim to improve the passage of time.

And! A Purdy gun takes 1000s of skilled man hours to make.

Dave.

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9742
    edited July 2016
    Sassafras said:
    The overview claims the product '...is a real talking point'. It certainly would be if Mrs9000 found out I'd just spent £705 on what is basically an extension lead..
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom