He's at it again!
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22140
    My preorder's in. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    My preorder's in. 
    Did you read the comments?  Read the thread starting "$1349... For a glorified compression/boost circuit in a big enclosure with a VU meter..."
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    I have the pedal version and it's really good. Overpriced maybe but it sounds really good. So good that I hate it when I turn it off...

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breadfanbreadfan Frets: 379
    @FelineGuitars Do you find it noisy?

I'd like to try one but I think it's most definitely overpriced.

edited July 2016 tFB Trader
    Yes it can be a tad noisy but I like the effect it has

Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22140
    edited July 2016
    My preorder's in. 
    Did you read the comments?  Read the thread starting "$1349... For a glorified compression/boost circuit in a big enclosure with a VU meter..."
    I didn't read the comments. Now that I have, I've preordered two more. 

<3  :3 :/

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I have the pedal version and it's really good. Overpriced maybe but it sounds really good. So good that I hate it when I turn it off...
    Is it a boost / compressor in one box?  
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Is it a boost / compressor in one box?  

But WHAT a box.

It's transparent, how can it not be worth the outrageous price tag?
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3423
    edited July 2016
    He's a charlatan imo, ripping off the gullible. I guess that's not unusual in the land of guitardom.

What made oi larf was his demos at the first namm they did, where he clearly couldn't actually play the guitar. 

This is isn't a great example either: 

Made me me wonder what was actually going on with his 'play along' demos...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6152
    tFB Trader
    He's a charlatan imo, ripping off the gullible. I guess that's not unusual in the land of guitardom.

What made oi larf was his demos at the first namm they did, where he clearly couldn't actually play the guitar. 

The problem with this is that these buyers include Angus Young who uses the Schaffer replica himself. It adds a certain level of credibility I'm sure you'll agree. 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    Apparently this is Angus' secret weapon. So if you want that really authentic DCsound, this is it.

I personally don't get it.

Rob
    Hmmm.......

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3423
    edited July 2016
    ThorpyFX said:

The problem with this is that these buyers include Angus Young who uses the Schaffer replica himself. It adds a certain level of credibility I'm sure you'll agree. 

Did Angus buy one? So far as I can tell, they took him one and gave him it, then used it in their promotions...with no actual official confirmation from AC/DC. It came across as smoke and mirrors. In fact it seemed like A possibility that Angus met them as much as a favour for / out of respect to Ken Schaffer as anything else.

Not only that, but if it was used on Rock or Bust that's nowhere near the same tone as Powerage, or Let there be Rock, or the other classics they say this was the 'secret ingredient' for.
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    edited July 2016
    Apparently, he has had two of the original versions for many years and has been using them constantly both on the road and in the studio. He has now taken a couple of the re worked units to retire the older kit. 

Long thread here from the LPF where the builder explains the story:

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?200352-Bonamassa-using-the-Schaffer-replica
    tFB Trader
    I have mine at the workshop . You're welcome to try it out. Use the amp set fairly clean-ish (by modern standards) and dial in the Schaffer to suit . I know it's just two knobs but it works well ....in the same way that an Echoplex/EP boost just does the job for many people. Same thing with the BBESonic Maximiser. It's not for everyone but I like what it does

ThorpyFX said:

Did Angus buy one? So far as I can tell, they took him one and gave him it, then used it in their promotions...with no actual official confirmation from AC/DC. It came across as smoke and mirrors. Not only that, but if it was used on Rock or Bust that's nowhere near the same tone as Powerage, or Let there be Rock, or the other classics they say this was the 'secret ingredient' for.
    On the SoloDallas website there is a picture of Scott Henderson holding on, implying he uses on.  I have never seen one on Scott's pedalboards, although I could be wrong.  Something similar happened with Scott and someone else who shall not be named - they took Scott one of their pedals and then assumed it was OK to use Scott's name on their website.  Anyway, I'm getting slightly off topic.  

I'd like to know what is so special about taking the guts out of a wireless unit, putting it into a tower unit, and charging $1349 for it.  I understand it's some kind of a booster, compressor unit, and it probably changes the EQ slightly.  

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    I love what the EP booster, SHO, CAE line driver and the VHT Valvulator do the sound of my guitar but I wouldn't dream of paying over a thousand dollars for any of them.

I also find it rather strange that the thing doesn't even function as a wireless device considering that was it's original purpose.

A masterstroke in marketing. 
    Some people would say good luck to him, he's making a product that people want to buy so everyone's happy. I, on the other hand, say it's a pile of bullshit.

Typical 'Murican "secret sauce" crap.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28312

Neither could Leo Fender...
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6152
    tFB Trader
    ThorpyFX said:

Did Angus buy one? So far as I can tell, they took him one and gave him it, then used it in their promotions...with no actual official confirmation from AC/DC. It came across as smoke and mirrors. Not only that, but if it was used on Rock or Bust that's nowhere near the same tone as Powerage, or Let there be Rock, or the other classics they say this was the 'secret ingredient' for.
    On the SoloDallas website there is a picture of Scott Henderson holding on, implying he uses on.  I have never seen one on Scott's pedalboards, although I could be wrong.  Something similar happened with Scott and someone else who shall not be named - they took Scott one of their pedals and then assumed it was OK to use Scott's name on their website.  Anyway, I'm getting slightly off topic.  

I'd like to know what is so special about taking the guts out of a wireless unit, putting it into a tower unit, and charging $1349 for it.  I understand it's some kind of a booster, compressor unit, and it probably changes the EQ slightly.  

I was just playing devils advocate tbh. I will say this though.... what is so special is the profit margin! it must be bloody huge.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    Sassafras said:
    I love what the EP booster, SHO, CAE line driver and the VHT Valvulator do the sound of my guitar but I wouldn't dream of paying over a thousand dollars for any of them.

I also find it rather strange that the thing doesn't even function as a wireless device considering that was it's original purpose.

A masterstroke in marketing. 
    Some people would say good luck to him, he's making a product that people want to buy so everyone's happy. I, on the other hand, say it's a pile of bullshit.

Typical 'Murican "secret sauce" crap.
    Yeah booster do do something to your sound and I have my setup built around my Suhr Koko Reloaded (which is the most expensive booster I've bought).  I wouldn't spend over £200 on a booster though.  

I'm curious to know what's so special about the components that makes it worth so much money.