Post-rock sounds from Strymon BigSky & TimeLine - advice please

What's Hot
garytwalker1garytwalker1 Frets: 1
Got a question for the post-rock experts on here. My board is built around a Strymon BigSky and a TimeLine and I'm struggling a little with combining them both to get a really nice epic post-rock sound for tremolo-picked washes. I'm using a Fender Tele with Monty's PAF replica in the neck or a Gretsch Tennessee Rose, into a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, a J Rockett Archer for clean boost and a Red Witch Famulus as the distortion. I've come up with a couple of things using the Pattern setting on the TimeLine and the Cloud or Bloom on the BigSky, but I find that either the picking attack is too audible or it becomes so vast it takes over everything else in the mix. Either way, it doesn't sound quite right. I'm shooting for the kind of sound Sigur Ros, Explosions In The Sky, Daughter, The National etc get and I'm sure I can get something perfect with the combination of the BigSky and the TimeLine but I've been searching for the best part of a year and it's still eluding me. Would really appreciate any suggestions :) 
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MossMoss Frets: 2409
    In general, less is more when it comes to this

Try a modulated tape delay at about 400ms with a fairly long plate reverb, both set fairly at about 50% mix as a basis for tremolo picking

Maybe a slightly higher mix and longer reverb (maybe with an octave-down shimmer) for swells and chordal stuff
    Stop crying, start buying
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Moss said:

Try a modulated tape delay at about 400ms with a fairly long plate reverb, both set fairly at about 50% mix as a basis for tremolo picking

Maybe a slightly higher mix and longer reverb (maybe with an octave-down shimmer) for swells and chordal stuff
    Just tried this, works beautifully.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    edited July 2016
    What @Moss said. 

Also, I've just got home from jamming, I love both of those pedals so much. 
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    Moss said:

Just tried this, works beautifully.
    Awesome - don't own either so was a bit of a guess based on stuff I've used at various times

Glad it works
    Stop crying, start buying
  • Who gave a LOL to the OP? Why? Actually why the f**k...?
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    If your pick attack is too audible, what u want to do is to make your delay repeats darker. Try turn the tone all the way off as a starting point and turn up the brightness gradually until you reach something you like. 
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Got a question for the post-rock experts on here. My board is built around a Strymon BigSky and a TimeLine and I'm struggling a little with combining them both to get a really nice epic post-rock sound for tremolo-picked washes. I'm using a Fender Tele with Monty's PAF replica in the neck or a Gretsch Tennessee Rose, into a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, a J Rockett Archer for clean boost and a Red Witch Famulus as the distortion. I've come up with a couple of things using the Pattern setting on the TimeLine and the Cloud or Bloom on the BigSky, but I find that either the picking attack is too audible or it becomes so vast it takes over everything else in the mix. Either way, it doesn't sound quite right. I'm shooting for the kind of sound Sigur Ros, Explosions In The Sky, Daughter, The National etc get and I'm sure I can get something perfect with the combination of the BigSky and the TimeLine but I've been searching for the best part of a year and it's still eluding me. Would really appreciate any suggestions :) 
    Are you using the amps FX loop? If so... don't.

Put them right up front, before any of your distortions. Then use the mix knobs to dial in just a very tiny amount, feedback to taste.

What will happen is that on the first pluck, you'll get a bit of delay..... and if you stop playing, it'll echo off quite cleanly. But if you do multiple plucks, the tails of the delay and reverb will build and build and build, because the amp/distortion will get more driven at the front end.

This is the secret to big post-rock washes imho. Checkout my band if you want to hear how this sounds: www.bridgedisaster.co.uk
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    The bloke from the national also appears to put some of his delays before drive
  • WarpedSoundsWarpedSounds Frets: 79
    edited July 2016
    I'd recommend all of the above. Look into an ebow too. Infinite sustain and no attack. 

Worth noting that Jonsi from Sigur Ros doesn't use delay at all. He uses a cello bow and reverb. I think it's an old TC M350 studio rack unit into the loop of a Marshall stack. He also uses bass drives for dirt and treble booster built into his custom made LP-esque guitar. 

• I'd recommend all of the above. Look into an ebow too. Infinite sustain and no attack. 

Worth noting that Jonsi from Sigur Ros doesn't use delay at all. He uses a cello bow and reverb. I think it's an old TC M350 studio rack unit into the loop of a Marshall stack. He also uses bass drives for dirt and treble booster built into his custom made LP-esque guitar. 

The "Cigaroos" preset on the H9 is fantastic.
  • Yes, I heard the use the Space in studio. Sounds epic. 
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    I'd recommend all of the above. Look into an ebow too. Infinite sustain and no attack. 

Really? Never liked that much myself
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd recommend all of the above. Look into an ebow too. Infinite sustain and no attack. 

Really? Never liked that much myself

Fair enough...

ModeEchoVerb, though...it's Robin Guthrie in a box!
  • stefken147stefken147 Frets: 51
    Gotta agree, never thought much of that Cigaroos preset, been a while since I checked it out tho.

Personally this is where the Eventide probably edges it over the Strymon stuff for these sort of sounds, it takes over your sound in a good way if that makes sense!
  • Gotta agree, never thought much of that Cigaroos preset, been a while since I checked it out tho.

Personally this is where the Eventide probably edges it over the Strymon stuff for these sort of sounds, it takes over your sound in a good way if that makes sense!
    That's why I like to have both options.
  • WarpedSoundsWarpedSounds Frets: 79
    edited July 2016
    I think the Strymon stuff can get pretty OTT, which I love. I mix a Neunaber Wet, El Cap and Carbon Copy in too for some beautiful noise.
  • @WarpedSounds These big reverbs I've got...the Big Sky and those on the H9...

Do they tend to be less useful in a live context as opposed to the studio/home practice

As I've said on other occasions, Nick McCabe is my hero and that's the kind of sound I'm after, but I can't help but think that too much reverb live is going to teeter from ethereal to mushy.
  • It depends what you're going for. I love the mush in some contexts. Whatever works for you. 

The Big Sky is great. It has so many options that work for me, but you have to love verb to fork out. Quite often I pair it with a Stereo Wet. They pretty much cover all bases. 

I'd definitely say you have the gear so get in the fx ballpark, but Nick also a pretty unique style. That's a whole other topic! :)

Check this for early Verve-esque tones: 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    I don't tend often use the Timeline and the BigSky together as they are both very rich effects, it can get a bit much.

A mono delay (e.g. Carbon Copy) into the BigSky sounds better to me, or the Timeline into the Hall of Fame on the Plate or Room setting.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2605

I've tried out some of the suggestions on here - distortion after delay/reverb and turning down volume and tone controls to good effect. However I saw Mogwai last week, and I was just as impressed by their total noise sections. I can get close to it with a Muff going in to my Avalanche Run - I've found the Muff totally comes alive going in to the reverb/ delay. I guess the rest of the effect just comes from sheer volume.

Any other solid wall of noise tips?