Post-rock sounds from Strymon BigSky & TimeLine - advice please

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• The best wall of tremolo picking noise I made was with an Alesis Microverb, set to one of the reverbs that has a massive long tail (I think the parameter goes up to 140 or something) at 100% wet. This was recording through an amp modeller, I'd love to be able to get close to that with a pedal, most don't sound dense enough at 100% wet.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    ewal said:

I've tried out some of the suggestions on here - distortion after delay/reverb and turning down volume and tone controls to good effect. However I saw Mogwai last week, and I was just as impressed by their total noise sections. I can get close to it with a Muff going in to my Avalanche Run - I've found the Muff totally comes alive going in to the reverb/ delay. I guess the rest of the effect just comes from sheer volume.

Any other solid wall of noise tips?

Mogwai use fairly modest pedals

Definitely try the Avalanche Run first in the chain - they use delays, reverbs and distortions in different orders
    Stop crying, start buying
  • ewalewal Frets: 2605
    I've got a muff and rat before the AR and Digitech obscura, then a rat clone and Dist+ clone after. Definitely noise potential... Just need to keep experimenting now I'm back playing at band rehearsal volumes
    As it happens I've been watching Caspian on the Tube this evening and their post rock tones are absolutely on the mark...

• WarpedSoundsWarpedSounds Frets: 79
    edited September 2016
    All pedals before a gained up amp. Also,  might be worth trying setting delays times differently. It'll add a lot more 'smear' to the trails. 

Did you see Mogwai in Edinburgh? I was there for Sigur Ros, but couldn't do both. Always fancied seeing Mogwai. Class act. 

These are a bit old, but should help get in the Mogwai ballpark: 

https://youtu.be/dk16VyqkJwU
  • @WarpedSounds I have spare Rat I was going to try at the end of my chain after reverb.
  • try a graphic EQ before the big sky
    scoop the mids
    perhaps lose a little bass
  • Eventide Space. Higher your mix value to lessen your attack. An awful lot of this is the Space. 

• @WarpedSounds I have spare Rat I was going to try at the end of my chain after reverb. 

Woah there! That could bring on the apocalypse ;)
    All pedals before a gained up amp. Also,  might be worth trying setting delays times differently. It'll add a lot more 'smear' to the trails. 

Did you see Mogwai in Edinburgh? I was there for Sigur Ros, but couldn't do both. Always fancied seeing Mogwai. Class act. 

Yep I saw Mogwai at the Playhouse - something a bit different seeing them soundtrack a film. I've seen them several times of the years, the first time being a pub in Glasgow on Glassford St. Even then it was obvious they had something. I've seen Sigur Ros a couple of times too, but missed them this time around.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ewal said:

Yep I saw Mogwai at the Playhouse - something a bit different seeing them soundtrack a film. I've seen them several times of the years, the first time being a pub in Glasgow on Glassford St. Even then it was obvious they had something. I've seen Sigur Ros a couple of times too, but missed them this time around.
    Great. I bet that was wild - not to mention LOUD! Cool little venue. I seem to keep missing them somehow. Awesome band. 

Sigur Ros were great. Just the three of them. They had a few samples playing, but still a huge sound for a trio. I've seen them a fair few times, each time with fewer members. They never disappoint though.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    ewal said:

Great. I bet that was wild - not to mention LOUD! Cool little venue. I seem to keep missing them somehow. Awesome band. 

Sigur Ros were great. Just the three of them. They had a few samples playing, but still a huge sound for a trio. I've seen them a fair few times, each time with fewer members. They never disappoint though.

Mogwai are class live. I normally don't like seated shows, as I prefer to be in a crowd with the atmosphere. But mogwai had me captivated. might be the longest I've sat still.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom