Mad idea of the day - the 'mixed back' cab

What's Hot
SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
I like a Clelestion Blue in an open backed cab, but the G12H I want to mix it with works best in a closed back, so if I want them both in a 212, how about I cut a new back board with an apature only behind the blue?

Would I need to box off / separate the two speakers to get 80% of the best of both worlds?

Anyone ever tried it?

Baz
The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33848
    edited July 2016
    Mesa used to make a halfback cab.
    Is this the sort of thing you mean?
    I'm not a huge fan myself- it was a bit 'neither fish nor foul'.
  • SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    edited July 2016
    Sounds like it could be - 1 Half open and one closed but without ending with two small, individual cabs?

"..used to make" - sounds like it was an inspired hit then?
    SunDevil said:
    Sounds like it could be - 1 Half open and one closed but without ending with two small, individual cabs?

They weren't that popular.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27257
    edited July 2016
    Might be worth trying a back-board that's 70% closed, so you get some air behind the Blue but keep a fair chunk of the G12H side closed. 

I have a feeling it wouldn't be worth the effort. And if you wanted more of the effect you'd need to make an internal divider; very rigid and firmly fixed, at which point you risk making both sides of it sound quite boxy. 

I imagine @ICBM would have a good instinct for this, if he hasn't already seen/heard it done.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2255
    I've got a pacific woodworks cab that has a partition. The lower section has a theile port and the upper is semi open.I like it. 
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7964
    octatonic said:
    SunDevil said:

They weren't that popular.

The Road King cab? I thought they were still available just nobody ever stocks them.

http://www.mesaboogie.com/cabinets--simulators/guitar-cabinets--simulators/road-king-series/2x12-road-king-horizontal.html
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    I made one a few years back for @Pete24v ;
    It was a 4x10, with 2 open and 2 closed.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72675
    Yes, Mesa still make half-open/half-closed cabs as part of the Road King series as guitarfishbay said.

You do need the closed side fully closed for it to work properly, even if there isn't an opening behind the speaker.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235
    martinw said:
    I made one a few years back for @Pete24v 
    It was a 4x10, with 2 open and 2 closed.
    Yep, one of my favourite cabs with celestion G10 Vintage and Alnico Golds in an X pattern. The idea for it was basically an upgraded version of an old Laney cab I had in the 90's which from memory sounded great. I'll have another one built at some point, with hopefully lighter materials and or speakers ;-)
    Cool - sounds like it's worth me messing around a bit and seeing what I can come up with
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4205
    That MJW 4x10 worked a treat, I used to own it and used it with my Bassman, so it's not a mad idea at all :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1639

Compared to the enormous variation put into amp design, voicing, valve types, traffs, bias regimes..There seems to be little constructive experimentation with speaker cabls? Maybe because you need good skils/tools to make them and they are expensive things to get wrong?

Mind you, I doubt there is any "magic lost design" out there waiting to make someone a fortune? Playing around with loading, sizes and enclosure is only really going to affect the LF response and the polar plot to some degree and THAT will be subject to room effects.

Dave.

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11992
    wouldn't you need to reduce the effective cab volume (space) for each driver  by splitting the cab?
    Thus compromising what could have been achieved  with the unified cab volume?
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    edited July 2016
    wouldn't you need to reduce the effective cab volume (space) for each driver  by splitting the cab?
    Thus compromising what could have been achieved  with the unified cab volume?
    Yes.

I wouldn't bother - generally speaking a 2x12, be it closed back OR open back, is going to sound bigger (and better) than effectively two 1x12 sized cabs, one open and one closed, that just happen to be in the same box. Unless you *like* the sound of small cabs, then all bets are off. The mesa cab gets round it by being big, so the fully enclosed speaker has basically a 2x12's worth of volume to itself.
    Yep - I was thinking the same

I can see a potential benefit with 4 speakers split open and closed, but less so with a 212 due to that closed back speaker effectively sat in a tiny box.

i might get more 'mileage' from messing around with apature size on an open back to find the sweet spot that keeps the Blue and G12H happy
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11992
    I  would recommend having a removable panel on the back though, I have one on a  Zilla. I leave it off since I have 2 Celestion Golds in there
    ICBM said:
    Yes, Mesa still make half-open/half-closed cabs as part of the Road King series as guitarfishbay said.

You do need the closed side fully closed for it to work properly, even if there isn't an opening behind the speaker.
    I didn't realise they were doing it in the Road King cab.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1639

Ooo! I would make up a plywood frame and cover it with a sturdy speaker fret to protect those drivers.

Dave.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Just coming back on this - does it matter where on the back of the cab the opening is in an open back - does it need to be in line with the speakers or would top / bottom / L/R side be ok?