What's a good gigging attenuator?

What's Hot
TrudeTrude Frets: 915
I'm after an attenuator that will knock off a few dBs when I run my Tweed Super (around 30w) at the sweet spot at gigs.  I don't need "bedroom" volume, just "stop bandmates from moaning" volume!

An emulated XLR out would be handy too (preferably one that's level-independent vs the speaker out).  I've been looking at the Harley Benton one on Thomann.  Seems pretty decent on paper, and the reviews look good.  

Next consideration would be size - small is good!

Any tips, folks?
Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Marktigere1Marktigere1 Frets: 101
    The Harley Benton looks like a complete rip off of the Jetcity Jettenuator to me.

I have the Jettenuator for recording/home use and its been great.

Not used it with the band yet so cannot comment on that.

Its built very well if that helps.

Cheers

Mark
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    I got an old Marshall Power Break - works great at making my AC30 work in a pub gig! Discontinued now but easy to come buy on ebay...but I got to say that Jettenuator does sound like a great buy and I've been tempted to buy one myself...but I don't need 3! * have a Mango attenuator also which works great but you can't get those now. 
  • erky32erky32 Frets: 49
    I'm interested to know other peoples opinions on attenuators. I've never used one and solely relied on front end o/d fx or pre-amp gain. What worries me is the effect on the power valves and o/p transformers, because I can only think that it will pre-age all the output section running it flat out. Can anyone put me straight on this issue. 
    APOLOGIES if I have hijacked a thread here, and if you don't like it I'll remove and start a new thread!
  • Tuscan777Tuscan777 Frets: 125
    I've used a Jettenuator live on a few occasions with a Fender Super Sonic 60. Piece of cake to set-up and having the big knob easily accessible, and sat on the top of the amp, meant I could fiddle about mid-gig and use it as a master. I found it didn't colour the sound to any extent that I could seriously notice, maybe a little loss of high end but that was easily plumbed back in. It helped to tame the loud SSonic and get the Bassman channel shining with a bit of power amp compression. I guess it could have an effect on valve life if you used it at high levels, gig after gig. But, it was more of an 'as needed' for me, so no real issues on that front.

Mind you, I use a smaller amp now so the J'tor has been popped away in it's box ever since!
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7802
    @erky32, no need to run any amp flat out, just till it sounds better working a bit harder and then knock off some volume. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 915
    Thanks for the responses folks!  I replied earlier up the thread, but was told the comment was pending approval for some reason.  Jettenuator is out of stock at the moment, and the HB one is a clone, is £30 cheaper, and is available.  Seems like the front-runner at the mo.

Trading feedback here
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27233
    I home-built a Dr Z Air brake for a Rivera Clubster that worked brilliantly. Not sure how well it would suit that amp but for the Rivera it was great
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 915
    @Tuscan777 - your use scenario sounds exactly like what I have in mind.  Not trying to run the amp flat out, just would be nice to always have it in the fat/juicy zone at every gig.

Trading feedback here
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    As @Winny_Pooh says, turn the amp up till it sounds good then tame the volume with your chosen attenuator. That rarely means cranking an amp flat out. In fact many amps sounds shit when they're at the limit.
  • Marktigere1Marktigere1 Frets: 101
    Yep, I use a JCA22H and with the Jettenuator I find the volume around 5 gives the best sound.

Flat out does not sound good to me.

I also use it with a Blackheart BH15 and again, flat out is not the sweet spot.
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3180
    tFB Trader
    Not chiming in on attenuators, but I'm awarding some man points for playing a Tweed Super
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1447
    The Harley Benton one is a clone of the Jettenuator and sounds identical. No point paying more for the Jet City one (of which I own two, both bought second hand). They're great by way. It's not the best load box for silent recording (it's purely resistive) but as an attenuator it's great.
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    tFB Trader
    I have had great results with a Dr Z Airbrake. 
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • miserneil said:
    I have had great results with a Dr Z Airbrake. 
    Got one for sale if you are interested 
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    I use a Rivera Rockcrusher Recording live. Great Reactive Load, attenuation, XLR to desk and brilliant EQ to emulate different mic types etc
    tFB Trader
    Rift Amplification
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72648
    RiftAmps said:
    The only problem with that is that I would be very wary of using it with any amp more powerful than 20W - not the 50W suggested, it won't take anything close to a cranked 50W amp.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited July 2016 tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    RiftAmps said:
    The only problem with that is that I would be very wary of using it with any amp more powerful than 20W - not the 50W suggested, it won't take anything close to a cranked 50W amp.
    True, but it's quite easy to use higher wattage L-Pad/Resistors.

I've just built a 5E5-A Pro that measures 30w RMS clean, 62w peak power (1kHz 150mW sine wave into 8ohms) so this attenuator could easily be modded up to 100w working power for his amp.
    Rift Amplification
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72648
    RiftAmps said:

Yes, but most people don't realise how much you have to err on the safe side with rated power for them. They seem to be rated for programme music power, ie at least double what they'll actually handle continuously, and even more compared to a guitar amp cranked into distortion (up to double its clean power). So you need to de-rate by about a factor of four or five to be safe with a guitar amp, I would suggest.

Bearing in mind that if you do burn it out you're very likely to seriously damage the amp as well… it doesn't pay to be optimistic with attenuators :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited July 2016 tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    RiftAmps said:

Yes, but most people don't realise how much you have to err on the safe side with rated power for them. They seem to be rated for programme music power, ie at least double what they'll actually handle continuously, and even more compared to a guitar amp cranked into distortion (up to double its clean power). So you need to de-rate by about a factor of four or five to be safe with a guitar amp, I would suggest.

Bearing in mind that if you do burn it out you're very likely to seriously damage the amp as well… it doesn't pay to be optimistic with attenuators .
    I'm not a fan of attenuators at all, but this design is simple and with beefing up to 100w should allow him to "knock a few dBs off" as he originally wanted. I doubt he's planning to run the amp flat out for hours on end whilst attenuating down to whisper quiet (in that case, I agree that 350w would be required).
    Rift Amplification
    www.riftamps.co.uk