Man cave ideas please!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7372
    Just checked and there is no insulation in the walls. The batten goes down to the floor but the plasterboard doesn't so I can check with my fingers.

How would I go about removing the plasterboard, and could I then reuse the same sheets?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3068

There was a photo posted on here a little while ago of a cool looking "man-wall" - TV, guitar, amp, books, records, the lot it seemed.  All beautifully shelved and arranged.

If you can find that, that's exactly how a man cave should look.

• capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    You won't be able to remove plasterboard. Just board over it again.
    Ah shit. Probably won't be as effective then because I'll still have the old stuff behind it that isn't insulated.
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    I used treated timber studs 75mm Kingspan and double walled with 15mm Gyproc Soundbloc on the walls floor and ceilings. Plastered the room and ceilings and added some electrics and lights along the way surface mounted everything except for a 8mm cable hole. £2500 inc new quality laminate flooring. The Gyproc 2400 sheets weigh a ton 2 man lift. 

These people are your friend cheap as chips on materials. 
    http://www.minsteronline.co.uk/products/acoustics/boards?altTemplate=Branch Locator Mobile

its not totally soundproof but I have had no complaints from neighbours regarding music on stereo or guitar.
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    @Danny1969 fkn awesome looking studio… soooo jealous
    play every note as if it were your first
    @DefaultM give a lot of thought to the layout and how things will fit around you..
    it makes a huge difference to workflow

also, if there are things you need to regularly jack into the studio, and then remove when you play live [like my Axe-FX], you'll need to place them so this is a trouble free thing to do..

a little planning up front goes a long way
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10454
    Clarky said:
    Lol
    That was just the start mate, having spent a few grand doing that I then spent about 100K doing this :-1: 

Me and my business  partner built everything ourselves, did the electrics and plumbing ourselves ......  the biggest studio Portsmouth ever had and the reason I'm the skintest muso in Pompey now :)
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Danny1969 said:
    Clarky said:
    Lol
    That was just the start mate, having spent a few grand doing that I then spent about 100K doing this :-1: 

Me and my business  partner built everything ourselves, did the electrics and plumbing ourselves ......  the biggest studio Portsmouth ever had and the reason I'm the skintest muso in Pompey now :)
    looks wonderful…
    my place is nothing like that.. it's a tiny little thing just for me..
    I can record guitars [electric and acoustic], synths and vocals but nothing more..
    I guess you could say that it's more of a writers suite
    suits my needs perfectly though

one thing though.. I've never been a fan of bright or white lights in a studio..
    I love them to be dark places.. just my preference really..
    mine is lit with blue and red lights, and to some extent the mac's monitor and the little LCD's on the rack stuff..
    my lil' brain says that dark places are moody and creative places
    I only turn on the white lights when teaching..

I actually did some of my best work in the little garage studio, normally in the dead of night with a lot of alcohol. Back then I was playing Vdrums so recording drums wasn't a problem. Guitar wise I did record at very loud volume, at the time I thought the louder you recorded guitar amps the better. That's not the case but it did serve to prove how well you can contain volume if you apply a little thought to the building process. 

I'm in agreement about lighting, dark and moody is my preference but we recorded all kinds of artist from school kids to ganster rappers so had a lot of lighting options as it was controlled via DMX

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • 5redlights5redlights Frets: 317
    Danny1969 said:

Is that strat tiny, or very far away? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
     It's a normal size strat next to a very large mixing desk
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    edited August 2016
    Almost done with this. Just got to fit the skirting boards which is a massive pain. I bought 14 metres but turns out I needed 15 metres...

https://i.imgur.com/snimwtY.jpg
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    edited August 2016
    Stalactites?
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 995
    Beer fridge was the first thing that came to my mind
    edited August 2016
    No more nails is awesome. Stuck the skirting boards straight on to the plaster board. Needed 4 nails in total for a few pieces where the wall wasn't straight, but checked today and it's all stuck in place rock solid.