GEAR REVIEWS section suggestion

What's Hot
For the 'Gear Reviews', would it perhaps be sensible to have the reviews appear in alphabetical order, rather than chronologically? It would make reviews easier to find, especially as it starts to expand.
I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8799
    There are a couple of useful sequences, for example: manufacturer, type (Chorus/OD/wah), pickup type. It's not to difficult to post an index thread and update the index occasionally.

First off we need more reviews.

Everyone seems reticent to write them. I don't know whether that's because people are shy about their writing ability, or concerned about exposing their playing ability. Having worked 12 hour days, and spent 4 nights a week away from home, I understand why people say "I haven't got time". We are not all in that bucket. I know that we read/watch reviews on other sites because we mention it here. I guess that a lot of people are afraid of exposing their views and talent to the risk of criticism.

I did try to test this by posting iPhone quality demos, but no one seemed to pick up on "I can do much better than that".
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27795
    I've not included sound/video clips in my reviews, partly because I don't really have the kit (for the latter anyway), or the time to set it up, or the confidence in my own abilities!

So, sound/vid clips are very much optional, although photos of the item in question are (a) much easier to include and (b) shouldn't create any ability discomfort, so I'd like to retain those as far as poss.

The lack of content contribution is disappointing though.  Perhaps we should offer something in return for people putting in the effort to write a review?  Perhaps a "review of the month" award, or highlighting as a sticky, perhaps some sort of small "thanks" token (I've a load of theFB plectrums here!), perhaps a special fret award or membership badge?

I still think that the vast stocks of gear that our membership have gives a site like this a huge edge over the mags in terms of creating valuable content.  Our reviews shouldn't be the advertising-revenue-enhanced slavering over the latest shiny model variation dreamed up by the marketing department - we should be able to generate real-life, real-user, real use, real bought-with-my-own-money critical content.

That was the original thinking behind the "must have owned it for 3 mths before reviewing it" - ie to have the real life, real use perspective - but we relaxed that to 1mth to see if it helped generate content.  Didn't see to though??

So what else is stopping it?

I wonder whether we could have some sort of hook-up with the Guitar Quarterly mag, to get some of the reviews into print in the mag.  Would that encourage more contributions?

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27447
    The main impression I got was that they were necessarily being read. Though I appreciate that's a bit of a chicken/egg situation. 

I'd certainly be happy to write more reviews if people felt they had value.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    I am people, and I think they'd add value!

As you say, it's very much chicken-and-egg.  The more reviews we have, the more value/use the section has, the more views it will get, the more other people will (hopefully) contribute content ...

So go for it ... review away
    :)
    edited July 2016
    They add value for me too. I want to read reviews from people who use the item, not magazine reviews which are "a message from our sponsors". 
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 897
    And what about my suggestion that they be alphabetical? I think that would make it easier to use, especially if we do end-up with reviews for 200+ pedals...
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17724
    tFB Trader
    Gadget said:
    And what about my suggestion that they be alphabetical? I think that would make it easier to use, especially if we do end-up with reviews for 200+ pedals...
    I think that would be a nice problem to have
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    If we did have that problem @monquixote, could we have an alphabetical sorted section?
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17724
    tFB Trader
    All things are possible
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 897
    I'll be honest and say that I've only just noticed that there even is a reviews category and I suspect that may be the case for many other users who've just got used to only visiting their favourite sections.

Perhaps a sticky at the top of ALL of the forum's categories (there's only one in the Guitar section IIRC) might yield some results?
    Gadget said:
    Perhaps a sticky at the top of ALL of the forum's categories (there's only one in the Guitar section IIRC) might yield some results?
    We have tried stickies to get people's attention to stuff, but experience suggests that stickies just get ignored as everyone assumes that they're just "boring stuff"!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27447
    Well that's at least 2 votes for "useful". Will see about writing some more then!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • markvmarkv Frets: 460
    I think there's value in the reviews section. I was hesitant to say much about my Gordon Smith because I don't gig with it, so there's a whole side of the guitar's playing experience that I can't offer any insight into. I also can't offer any useful comparisons between it and similar guitars because I haven't played many. But despite my misgivings, I enjoyed writing a review, just as I enjoyed the discussion that followed.

However, very little else I own is in any way unusual - it's all mainstream stuff. Do we need a review of a Hall Of Fame? Or a Phase 90? (although actually I modded mine because I didn't like it stock, so I suppose I can add something here).

All the suggested reasons why people aren't contributing are, I am sure, valid. How do we get past it? Probably - keep nagging! Maybe go back through NGD posts from 3 months ago and ask how people are getting on - and whether they'd like to write it up? Solicit some of the more prominent members to showcase some of their tastier stuff?

I'll try and do a few more reviews.
    markv said:
    I was hesitant to say much about my Gordon Smith because I don't gig with it, 
    There's no requirement to gig something to be able to review it.
    :)

I'd guess that 90% of guitars, fx & amps ever sold aren't gigged, and it'll be little different here.

markv said:
    However, very little else I own is in any way unusual
    I don't think that being unusual is a requirement for a review either.  If it's really "unusual" then any review is only going to be of interest to a few ("unusual") people too.  By definition, most people buy the usual stuff and will be interested in opinions of it.

At least, that's my way of thinking ...
    markv said:
    I think there's value in the reviews section. .... However, very little else I own is in any way unusual - it's all mainstream stuff. Do we need a review of a Hall Of Fame? Or a Phase 90? (although actually I modded mine because I didn't like it stock, so I suppose I can add something here).
    Yes, we do need a review of a Phase 90. How do you use it? What do you like about it? What don't you like - a good one for you because you've modded it.
    markv said:
    All the suggested reasons why people aren't contributing are, I am sure, valid. How do we get past it? Probably - keep nagging! Maybe go back through NGD posts from 3 months ago and ask how people are getting on - and whether they'd like to write it up? Solicit some of the more prominent members to showcase some of their tastier stuff?
    Been there, and I guess a few have been aggravated by my nagging. I've got a list of excuses, topped by "I haven't got the time at the moment", and including "I haven't got it any longer because ...." which is a very good reason why it should be reviewed
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28920
    How about a small monthly prize? Either "best review" by some metric (about which we can all argue ;) ) or just a random selection by one of @TTony 's furry helpers?

Everyone's a sucker for an outside chance at a prize.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Sporky said:
    How about a small monthly prize?
    I could get some "I'm a theFB reviewer" t-shirts done perhaps?

Which reminds me, it's time we had another batch of t-shirts done using our new improved logo ...
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26925
    TTony said:
    Sporky said:
    How about a small monthly prize?
    I could get some "I'm a theFB reviewer" t-shirts done perhaps?

Which reminds me, it's time we had another batch of t-shirts done using our new improved logo ...
    ...which I also need to figure out how to get into the site.
    <space for hire>
  • markvmarkv Frets: 460
    Roland said:

Yes, we do need a review of a Phase 90. 
    OK, I'm on it!