Question for those using a dual amp setup.

What's Hot
shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
Other than using the amps in a wet and dry situation or a stereo setup do any of you use a two amp set up with one amp being your core sound and the other being used as an extra push if you need it? 

Ive two amps that I have been using in a wet dry set up. Having spent a bit of time experimenting in the studio over the last couple of weeks I have found that one of my amps excels at a crunchy rhythm sound and the other (with top boost engaged) has a fantastic lead tone. So I was thinking of emulating the studio and simplifying my set up to mirror this. 

I more than likely could get close to this sound using one amp and pedals? But there's something about the tone of cooking amps that I can't seem to find with pedals. 

Does anyone one else set up their rig like this?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30926
    I have done in the past. It's OK.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    I will still put the delay through just one amp so that I can have the clarity of sound from one amp. That being said, the fuzz, drive, flanger and tremolo will go through both amps.
  • My preference is for a two amp, clean/dirty setup and a Lehle ABY switch. Tone King Imperial and a Lazy J20 was a particularly good combination!
  • Sounds like a lot of effort - are you going to gig with this setup?
  • I've gigged with two amp setups for many years. The Redplate/Lazy J setup in my profile pic was good, but the Tone King is a far, far better amp than the Redplate was. I've yet to find a single amp that sounds as good as two dedicated amps for clean and dirty sounds. 
  • It's a great idea but until I'm playing stadiums, I'm sticking with just the one lol
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    its an interesting idea.. I did think about it, but the complexity that it would add to my rig put me off...i just have two amp on all the time with everything going to both...its just easier.

the only thing i think you'd need to consider, is amp placement...it would sound weird if the two sounds were coming from different places on the stage...
    @samzadgan yes, the option of two on at all times is what I have been doing previously with the wet dry setup. It does work. 

The only reason I'm changing is to try to emulate the sounds I have been getting whilst recording. It's one of those situations that now I know just how good my amps sound for certain functions I don't want to not have that sound. 
    shaunm said:
    @samzadgan yes, the option of two on at all times is what I have been doing previously with the wet dry setup. It does work. 

The only reason I'm changing is to try to emulate the sounds I have been getting whilst recording. It's one of those situations that now I know just how good my amps sound for certain functions I don't want to not have that sound. 
    yeah i know what you mean.

you need to record a video with the set up and the tones...it would be interesting for sure.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8492
    I've done it in the past - an AC30 for cleans, an AC50cph+2x12 cab for overdrive, and various pedals to push either one or both at the same time. As well as a cleans/drive/lead A/B switching setup I've also used variously two AC30s, an AC30 and a Night Train, and an AC30 and Tremoverb as always on stereo setups.

Works well, provided you're happy with doing twice as much lifting, needing twice as much stage space, and are confident the sound man knows what he's doing (polarity and phase issues come into it when miking up two amps).

Personally I stopped after a dozen gigs due to issues with all of the above. I'd start again if I was on a tour with a good sound guy and knew the venues all had space to deal with it.

I have done this as well documented. However, I never see the point in wet dry rigs and I went wet/wet.

When I did it, it was to make use of the stereo channels of my TC2290 and TC1210, which allowed panning mods and delays. it sounded immense provided you were playing quietly in a room. In a gig or public environment it wold be totally pointless.

I then realised that my tone was becoming more and more 'Gary Kemp in the 80's' by the minute and that a slightly more organic approach was needed.

I have 3 amps all off one switcher now and the sound has much more focus. I can switch from the stadium melting volumes of the J40 to the hammer drill tone 57 Deluxe and then to the incoming creamy 63 Vibroverb with ease and each offers a different palette.

If playing out then can you imagine asking the local sound man at the Flapper and Firkin to mic up your dual Hiwatts in true stereo? yeah right...

(Ed's Note: the rumour that this coincided with Gilmour going back to a mono rig is entirely without foundation)

• Easier with two small heads and a 2x12, each going through one speaker? Or does that sound pants?
    Easier with two small heads and a 2x12, each going through one speaker? Or does that sound pants?
    Why bother?

I use two small amps, both 18 watt. 

They sound sufficiantly different to each other and react differently to the pedals I use. Most pubs, small clubs and bars two 18 watt combos is plenty. I wouldn't turn up at these type of gigs with anything more than two combos. 

That at said it would be beyond hilarious to turn up at a pub gig with 2 heads and 2 4x12 cabs. 

I agree with @Gassage what would you get from putting two amps through one speaker. 
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited August 2016
    Well wouldn't you get the character from each amp head through each speaker??

You would. But is it worth it?

• StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1466
    edited August 2016
    It is for a clean/dirty setup. Radial make a box for switching between heads. Our sound guy prefers two separate cabs or amps, but it's an elegant solution, assuming the cab is appropriate for both heads. 
    shaunm said:

That at said it would be beyond hilarious to turn up at a pub gig with 2 heads and 2 4x12 cabs. 
    That's what I do...a 100w matamp and a 200 orange...2 4x12's...plus a 200w bass combo for my synth/noise board.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    samzadgan said:
    shaunm said:

That's what I do...a 100w matamp and a 200 orange...2 4x12's...plus a 200w bass combo for my synth/noise board.
    Superb! I'd love to turn up to a gig like that.
  • Gassage said:

You would. But is it worth it?
    Probably not. My only point was... it's a lot less hassle than having two separate combos, or two separate heads and two separate sets of speakers. :)