Question for those using a dual amp setup.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I have a stereo power amp and 2 1x12s
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bob21bob21 Frets: 170
    as a sound engineer... don't bother.

chances are - if this is in the trenches/throw&go/multi band festival:
    - I may have only allocated one guitar mic - i.e. only one of your cabs will get mic'ed.
    (unless I understand exactly what you're doing with the two) If I mic both, I will pick the cab which sounds the best and turn it up - the other will probably be left down or not used much.
    - I will refuse to run your rig 'in stereo' - mostly because I don't really run PAs in stereo (for good reason) - so any clever delay/chorus/wobblefart effects you have 'in stereo' will not come out of the PA in that way
    - I will probably make assumptions about your talent level vs kit ownership

Many, possibly most, of these things will be unfair.. But when I have 10mins to get you on stage, mic'ed up, prove I can hear every instrument, and get a 95% sorted mix, they will be the truth!

Obviously a different story if you bring your own engineer, or have long soundchecks, or are in a headliner-position to demand what you want.. (or literally never get mic'ed up at all)..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Two small combos. Until very recently was always "dual mono" as opposed to true stereo. I've never done wet/dry, not had the right amps to do it (eg, one clean one dirty). Well worth trying.
    Live I mic whichever one sounds best in the room. The lack of ping-pongy delay and stuff means I don't need to worry if only one is mic'd. Now I'm splitting out of a PS3 doing dual pitch shifting (one + one -) so I will probably have to rethink the mic'ing, or just be lazy and mic whichever amp has the detuned signal. 
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    bob21 said:
    as a sound engineer... don't bother.

chances are - if this is in the trenches/throw&go/multi band festival:
    - I may have only allocated one guitar mic - i.e. only one of your cabs will get mic'ed.
    (unless I understand exactly what you're doing with the two) If I mic both, I will pick the cab which sounds the best and turn it up - the other will probably be left down or not used much.
    - I will refuse to run your rig 'in stereo' - mostly because I don't really run PAs in stereo (for good reason) - so any clever delay/chorus/wobblefart effects you have 'in stereo' will not come out of the PA in that way
    - I will probably make assumptions about your talent level vs kit ownership

Many, possibly most, of these things will be unfair.. But when I have 10mins to get you on stage, mic'ed up, prove I can hear every instrument, and get a 95% sorted mix, they will be the truth!

Obviously a different story if you bring your own engineer, or have long soundchecks, or are in a headliner-position to demand what you want.. (or literally never get mic'ed up at all)..
    Which is why we do our own sound most of the time
    most of the in house guys are happy to take a couple of feeds out the back of the helix once I re-assure them that I know what I'm doing. Every time it has sounded superior to the miced cab of the other bands
    (plus I get my stereo panner and choruses running)