Jerry Donahue has had a stroke

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Twang Bang Kerrang.
    Wow, what an epic piece of TV at the time.
    That was the first time i had heard of Jerry and i remember saying out loud "There's one of those Seymour Duncan Amps !".

His piece about string bending, the piece later on on the program with Andy Summers literally showing you how to play every breath you take and the opening chord to walking on the moon. Yes i know, jumpers for goalposts etc but it was a real shockwave that one broadcast and the VHS's that recorded it got worn out pausing and rewinding them.

I think that piece with Jerry may have been one of the seminal Telecaster moments too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Alnico said:
    Twang Bang Kerrang.
    Wow, what an epic piece of TV at the time.
    That was the first time i had heard of Jerry and i remember saying out loud "There's one of those Seymour Duncan Amps !".

His piece about string bending, the piece later on on the program with Andy Summers literally showing you how to play every breath you take and the opening chord to walking on the moon. Yes i know, jumpers for goalposts etc but it was a real shockwave that one broadcast and the VHS's that recorded it got worn out pausing and rewinding them.

I think that piece with Jerry may have been one of the seminal Telecaster moments too.
    I totally agree, and here by way of tribute here it is. I sincerely hope Jerry recovers and gets back to his very best.

Jerry's showpiece starts at 8:30, but some kind soul has put the whole section from that documentary on YT, so it starts with Seymour Duncan, cuts to Jerry, cuts to Gerry McGee (via a bit of Chet Atkins) and goes back to Jerry.

The whole clip is just a masterclass...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    There's a little more news on this thread over at the Tele forum, together with a contact address for sending cards, goodwill messages and so on should anyone feel inclined. Last update was a week or so ago though it seems.

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/jerry-donahue-had-a-stroke.655743/page-2

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    I was lucky enough to meet him and the late Eric Roche at a Musician's Institute workshop and he was a lovely, warm, generous and affable guy, as was Eric, and that's what hit me most rather than their huge talent, although there was lots of jaw-dropping at his "behind the nut pedal steel bends".

Wishing him well and a good recovery and our thoughts are with Jerry and his family.
  • BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 350
    edited August 2016
    Terrible news.  I'm eternally grateful to Jerry Donahue for opening my mind to hybrid picking........and the signed copy of 'Telecasting'.  I really hope he can recover from this.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24806
    edited August 2016
    It's not sounding good is it? For 69, I thought he looked very good - not overweight or anything....

Really hope he makes a decent recovery - by today's standards, he's not old.
    It's not sounding good is it? For 69, I thought he looked very good - not overweight or anything....

Really hope he makes a decent recovery - by today's standards, he's not old.
    This exactly Richard. I think in the last 25 years we've become accustomed to thinking of the late 60's or even early 70's as the end of middle age.

Strokes can get you at any age though. The great Vini Reilly from your neck of the woods was affected by one a few years ago, and he was in his late 50s.