Phaser- yay or nay?

What's Hot

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Small stone, moogerfooger mf103 and ibanez ph7 are my favourites
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6721
    +1 on the Moogerfooger. It's completely brilliant, however I've tried many and keep coming back to my very old and genuine script phase100, which sucks tone but is worth it. 
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Skreddy Little Miss Sunshine or Mad Professor thick chewy phasey sounds yum yum
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15987

Kirk say.....y    ea........h

tae be or not tae be
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    I are a phaser slutbagwhore.

In order MXR phase90, script, EVH, or block.
    Any is good.
    Ilike it before or after dirt, but the MXR don't play nice in the loop of the DSL.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• JD50JD50 Frets: 660
    I have a mini Rowin Phaser which has 1 knob and a vintage/modern switch, based on the MXR EVH? Anyway its great and I have it set at about 11 o'clock for some slow swell.
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    Phaser - YAY!

Tremolo - YAY!

All other modulations - BOO!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2942
    tFB Trader
    Yup, two in my SA Stingray, and a PH1r though may sell that. Before dirt for me.
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    yay on cleans...all the time...but very rarely of dirt.

as for the pedal itself...EQD Grand Orbiter is the best i've had and heard.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited August 2016
    EQD grand orbiter did it for me and will do again someday.
    I had the Mk1.

When i have a board again in a couple of years time, it would be that one again and like the Sea Machine Chorus, the Mk1 is the one i would want again.

I got my phaser from @Gassage and yes it was Stunning !

• RolandRoland Frets: 8754
    What phaser settings do we like?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Oh yes, I like my phaser pre-dirt usually. (Page / early EVH style) Phased delay repeats are really nice too (you can do this on the TF)
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    Has anybody tried The Depths pedals by EQD? It's a vibe pedal by all accounts, but apparently can produce some nice swirly phaser action as well.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4046
    edited August 2016
    Dopesick said:
    Has anybody tried The Depths pedals by EQD? It's a vibe pedal by all accounts, but apparently can produce some nice swirly phaser action as well.
    I have one -- it's its own thing really and you've nailed it:  it's sort of a chewy phaser that sounds a lot like a uni-vibe.
    It is great clean but where I feel it excels is when it goes into dirt -- such a lovely sound!
    As it happens I've only recently taken it off my board (may consider selling it) to replace it with the MXR M68 which is a bit more like a vibe.

Here is my favourite demo of the EQD Depths.  I bought mine pretty much on the strength of this.  And yes, that is exactly what it sounds like.  I even resurrected a ton of Hendrix licks to have fun with it!

• DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    Noice. Saw one on eBay for around 110 last week. I don't *need* it right now but as you say it sounds amazing especially with a bit of dirt.
  • DesVegas said:
    Who has phaser before dirt? I'm all about the after myself
    Always before dirt, too washy otherwise, on clean not an issue as washy is wished. 
    It all depends whether washy is wantonly wished with what wails. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Always pre-dirt for me, too. I treat it like a wah sweep, I just think it's "too much" after gain.

i love em but they bore me quickly - they seem to cyclical. Same with flangers unless they're set like a chorus. I also find that I cant "ignore" them and end up playing in time with the sweep which is distracting. 
  • JDE said:
    Always pre-dirt for me, too. I treat it like a wah sweep, I just think it's "too much" after gain.

i love em but they bore me quickly - they seem to cyclical. Same with flangers unless they're set like a chorus. I also find that I cant "ignore" them and end up playing in time with the sweep which is distracting. 
    Totally an 'effect' effect. 
    I can't imagine anything other than a dirt pedal staying on for a whole song. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72608
    DesVegas said:
    Always before dirt, too washy otherwise, on clean not an issue as washy is wished. 
    I love that huge airy swoosh you get with it after dirt… 'jet plane' phasing.

professorben said:

Tremolo.

I used to leave it on *all the time*, not just for a whole song :). OK, set so subtle that you could barely tell - it added a really nice shimmer to the guitar sound without it being obvious that the volume was changing.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    DesVegas said:
    I love that huge airy swoosh you get with it after dirt… 'jet plane' phasing.

professorben said:

Tremolo.

I used to leave it on *all the time*, not just for a whole song :). OK, set so subtle that you could barely tell - it added a really nice shimmer to the guitar sound without it being obvious that the volume was changing.
    Interesting about the Trem idea.