Phaser- yay or nay?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    Dopesick said:
    Has anybody tried The Depths pedals by EQD? It's a vibe pedal by all accounts, but apparently can produce some nice swirly phaser action as well.
    It's a univibe type pedal so not really relevant to this thread
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929

have you experimented with its position in your pedal signal chain?
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    @Ro_S ;

I don't have it on the board. Currently it's a 'home use only' thing. 

I have a flanger and a chorus so these are my current mods of choice. 
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    My first ever pedal was an Amdek phaser. Basically, a self assembly kit version of the Boss. I sold it on a couple of years ago, but still am occasionally partial to a nice bit of phasing.
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    Ro_S said:
    Dopesick said:
    Has anybody tried The Depths pedals by EQD? It's a vibe pedal by all accounts, but apparently can produce some nice swirly phaser action as well.
    It's a univibe type pedal so not really relevant to this thread
    "but apparently can produce some nice swirly phaser action as well."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28736
    I do like a bit of phaser.

Either very slow and wide (ideally with a light fluttery tremolo at the same time), or the lovely "rise" mode on the Boss PH-3, or on a decent multiFX where you can sweep it manually with an expression pedal as a nice alternative to a wah.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6118
    Currently playing bass so the Phase Tone PT-909 wins esp with Hi Band Flanger in the mix. For guitar the Boss PH-1.

• dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    This thread inspired me to pick up a Nano Small Stone (for the 3rd time!). Man I love this pedal. For anyone who likes their phase a little more Flaming Lips than Van Halen, there's no excuse not to own one at £55 new.

My most recent phase dabbling has been in the digital modelling camp - not even in the same universe as this.
  •     I've been thinking about adding an MXR clone to my pedal arsenal. What are  the differences between the 45, 90, and 100?  I'd like to have something to grab those classics and modern rock tones. 
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    The easy answer is that the 45 is a 2-stage FET phaser, the 90 is a 4-stage FET phaser and the 100 is a 10-stage opto-phaser.

It's a little more complex than it first appears though. The 45's circuitry is somewhat different from the 90 and IMHO it's more than "half a Phase 90". I made myself a 45 clone with a switchable extra 2 stages and I think it sounds nicer than the 90. Certainly there's less distortion (I find it's quite easy to overload the Phase 90, especially with humbuckers).

Then there's a few different versions of the Phase 90. The "script" version doesn't have any feedback in the phase shift circuitry, giving a somewhat smoother tone, whereas the "block" version does. There's a couple of other minor differences, but it's the feedback part that makes most difference. It's easy to put on a switch though (or on a pot, should you like more control over it). 

The Phase 100 also has script and block versions and off the top of my head, the difference is just a few resistor values. I modified my new block version to script version specs and I think it does sound a little sweeter. The three dual opto-couplers used in the Phase 100 (six swept phase-shift stages and four static stages) are fairly expensive, and as far as I know, only General Guitar Gadgets did a PCB for it, though I don't think it's been in stock for years.

In terms of sonic differences between the three models, the 45 is more subtle and particularly nice at fast settings, the 90 is pretty much the standard phaser sound and the 100 is rich and for want of a better word, creamy sounding. All sound very nice indeed.

Both the 45 and 90 are ripe for modifications too, so are well worth mucking about with.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  •    Sounds like the MXR's are more guitar friendly and might be the way to go. Might have to do a GGG phase 45 or 90.... Unless I can find one for cheep locally:)
    thanks for the input.....
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6118
    If you want a 2 stage phaser then the reissued DOD 201 is hard to beat. Sounds gorgeous.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2171
    Yes from me. As soon as I heard a decent four step (a ph1r, which I stupidly sold) I understood the appeal. 
    Had an old DOD 201 back in the early 90s and found it too weak. Then heard a digitech hyper phase which just sounded digital and sterile to me, no warmth to it.

I've got a Carl Martin two faze which is lovely.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.