Reverb Tales...............

What's Hot
dindudedindude Frets: 8540

................tell me your reverb experiences (see what I did there?).

I use the spring in my Carr Sportsman and have never strayed into anything more but I've been craving something to step on occasionally to give a big expansive wash. Not looking for shimmer type stuff but something that can be subtle-ish and then stray into ambient oscillation would be good.

Not looking for anything too expensive / big / menu driven.

So far of interest is:

Digitech Polara

Keeley Aurora

Catalinbread Talisman

Neunaber Mono Wet v4

I actually like the idea of the simpler ones, something about having too many options makes when seem a little toy-like to me.

Any experiences of the above?

@wazmeister - I know you've been through a lot (every?) reverb pedal so would be good if you could chip in.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    I really didnt like the digitech reverbs though lots of people seem to. They wre too bright and ring-ey for me. The TC trinity, or whichever one has the wacky toneprint looks like a laugh and I liked the HoF.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I really like the Digitech stuff, the Boss RV5 is a mainstay (though I am selling mine to fund other toys) and if you want to go big then the Big Sky is cream of the crop. Big expansive washes are it's speciality.

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9615
    I probably HAVE tried every one of them :)

I find that they can be roughly broken into 2 categories; 

1.) Ambient washy verbs
    - best being Big Sky by far, Wet also good

2.) 'Normal' verbs
    - King is the Talisman for me 
    - Van Amps is natural and warm
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Very happy with the Boss RV-6, although the Hardwire Supernatural has better spring and plate sounds.

EQD Dispatch Master adds a cool twist with Reverb and Delay in one box.
  • Another +1 for the Big Sky for massive ambient sounds (if you wanted to go overboard) it is incredible. I'd recommend the Red Panda Context. It has Room, Hall, Cathedral, Plate, Gated and Delay + Verb (dial selectable), very simple to use, and the Cathedral mode is just beautiful, huge ambient sound.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4046
    edited August 2016
    Most of the reverb I use has to be practical for bog-standard live covers work but I recently added a Strymon Flint to my board.  What I love about it are the simple knobs -- I really don't get on with menu pedals.
    And the 80s setting on the Flint is enough big reverb for me! 

• DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    Like the Neunaber WET a lot.  

Some of the reverbs on the Zoom MS-70CDR are also pretty decent...particularly fond of the Plate.  It does, however, require a bit of menu hopping to get to all the parameters. 
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • Polara is lovey. Doesn't do 100 percent wet if you want that shitty octave reverb swell thing, but as a beautiful sounding reverb pedal it hits the mark. I love mine. 

I can't stand most spring reverbs - I've heard some nicer ones in more expensive amps, like Carr, but it's never what I want it to be. I like the Dick Dale sound well enough on record, mind. 

I use Hall mostly on the polara, but I like the octave up one (it sits behind what you play really nicely and sounds beautiful) and the modulated is really nice too, though I prefer the boss rv-3 mod reverb. 

Other than that, it's pretty small, stereo in and out if you want and generally a useful pedal. Can get weird if you want it to. 
  • Listened to John Mitchell on Sunday eve (Frost* It Bites Lonely Robot)
    huge reverbs. 
    All from a Korg A3
    absolutely sublime, I'm going big with Verb next pracco. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • DNHDNH Frets: 15
    I'm not a big reverb guy and nowadays just use a touch of spring from my amp, but I've had a HOF, Flint and Polara in the past. Of those I actually liked the HOF best - it seemed the most natural to my ears. The spring setting is not great, but the plate is excellent and with the toneprints you can dial in many flavours of bigger ambient reverb. Easy enough to pick one up cheap second hand if you are just testing the water.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6118
    I know what you mean about the ones with too many knobs. Trying to get one decent sound out of them is beyond me. Which is why I like the Boss Fender 63. Three knobs, very sensible. Sounds wonderful as long as you keep everything below 12 o'clock. It copies the fender reverb sound very accurately.
  • Neunaber Wet is the best non-spring reverb I've tried. I use that and a Big Sky. 
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    I adore the Catalinbread Talisman (only had it two months). Simple but not basic. Sounds incredible. Incredible.
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Neunaber Immerse ....

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4205
    I have the Neunbauer pedalboard in my Den and tbh, whilst the sounds are very clean and hifi, they just sound too polite.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Boss RV-5 and the TC Hall of Fame.  

My favourite is the Boss RV-5, which is still have.  It has a certain sound that I like but can't explain.  The TC just didn't do it for me, although I really liked some of the TonePrints, especially that Guthrie one.  
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9615
    Lew said:
    I adore the Catalinbread Talisman (only had it two months). Simple but not basic. Sounds incredible. Incredible.
    x10
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    If you don't want the madness of the Big Sky, the Blue Sky could suit your needs?
  • I have the Neunaber Stereo Wet and love it. Never once thought about replacing it...
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 617
    I have both the Catalinbread Talisman and the Keeley Aurora. Both do a very natural sounding reverb through to those epic ambient washes. The Keeley probably has the edge for versatility as it has hall, room and plate modes, whereas the Talisman is plate only. I think the Keeley can get more "ethereal" too.
    For my purposes, I prefer the Talisman and have the Keeley Aurora up for sale in the classifieds..