Just bought some HS-7's off ebay...problem!

What's Hot
siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
They look like new and sound great - at least via XLR...but the jack input on one of them doesn't work. Also there is a slightly irritating background noise when there is not audio being played through 'em. I've contacted the seller re the dodgy jack socket...not really mentioned the background noise - quick Google around seems to indicate this is a common problem. Some saying its a grounding problem. All I know is my lil Alesis 520's never did it - all I done was swap the speakers over - same leads and now noise from the tweeter only. I might be able to live with this noise and become oblivious but the dodgy jack definitely needs sorting. Bugger...a tad disappointed now.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
    edited August 2016
    If you bought off eBay and the broken jack input wasn't declared then you could probably return them if you wanted to.  

I had HS8s a while ago and don't remember them being noisy.  

What kind of noise is it?  Is it deeper like a ground hum or is just high end hiss?  Some amount of high end hiss is usually expected - as in quiet, and you'll only really hear it in a quiet room with no music playing.  The Yamahas might be noisier than your last set.  I can hear a tiny amount of hiss from my Focals when I've got them turned up but no music playing through them.
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    its a high pitch type whiny noise - similar but not quite the same as a fax tone on a phone line.
    edited August 2016

here's the listing - decared as perfect. I am expecting the seller to respond later with they worked fine for me or I only used the XLR so didn't know. We i'll have to see what he comes back with. I offered £220 + £20 postage - despite what the listing says. Figured as they're now recently gone up to £330 if in perfect nick they'd be still a £90 saving.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-White-Yamaha-HS7-Monitor-Speakers-PERFECT-/222204340236

had 2 replies off the seller! Here is the dialogue so far...

me - "hi speakers have arrived today look great sound great....but a problem. I have full sound from both speakers via the XLR inputs...but on the jack inputs only one appears to be working. Well, the faulty one has hardly any sound unless you turn the audio devices volume really loud then …"        

he replies -   "That's very strange, to be honest I only used them a few times and always with XLRs. Don't take this the wrong way, but are you sure it's not the cable, ie have you tried swapping jack cables over?"

my response  "yeah I tried 2 different cables - both same result in 1 speaker - put that same cable in the other speaker and it works fine! Definitely a fault on one monitors jack socket. 100% positive of that."

edited August 2016

his latest reply to the above is "OK just thought I'd check. You could check but If it were me I probably would just stick with the XLR's."

now I just said that's not really acceptable when I've just shelled out £240 (inc postage) I might as well have just gone n paid a few more squids and bought brand new ones! Not impressed! My Sapphire A.I goes into the XLRs on the back of the monitors but I still like to use the jack sockets - sometimes I'd just play my POD/GT-100 or DR880 straight into the monitors rather than having to go through the soundcard.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7288
    i get that interference you're talking about on my KRK Rokits and interestingly I also have a saffire interface. I wonder if the speaker outputs are located close to something that gives off some electrical intererence.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28343
    edited August 2016
    siraxeman said:

I might as well have just gone n paid a few more squids and bought brand new ones!

Wis'd.

You saved £90, man up and use the XLRs.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    i get that interference you're talking about on my KRK Rokits and interestingly I also have a saffire interface. I wonder if the speaker outputs are located close to something that gives off some electrical intererence.

Now the speakers are turned down I hardly notice it - the monitors were on 12 o'clock on the volume ie 50%....so turned em down a bit and I can live with it.
    Sporky said:
    siraxeman said:

I might as well have just gone n paid a few more squids and bought brand new ones!

Wis'd.

You saved £90, man up and use the XLRs.

Ha....I reckon I might be able to get 'em fixed or refunded and just buy new ones! I'll see what he suggests. Its one of those things that will bug me - I like to plug other things into the jack inputs at the same time as still having the XLRs connected to my audio interface....as is its a faff or will force me to go into my interfaces inputs - which of course I would anyway if recording. But when you buy something listed as "perfect" you don't expect some part to be broked do ya ? I'll take the wis tho ha...what do you win for amassing those ?
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3168
    tFB Trader
    Jack socket probably needs some cleaner squirted inside 
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• SporkySporky Frets: 28343
    siraxeman said:

But when you buy something listed as "perfect" you don't expect some part to be broked do ya ? I'll take the wis tho ha...what do you win for amassing those ?
    If they were listed as perfect then everything should work.

When you get 400 wizzes (you're at 394) you win a mystery prize in the post.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2016
    RiftAmps said:
    Jack socket probably needs some cleaner squirted inside 

what stuff is this..WD40 do ? If I wasn't so ham fisted and concerned I might ruin 'em I'd undo all the screws and have a look inside...but for now i'll just communicate with the seller n see if they can help...
    ....seller just said "can't offer you a refund I'm afraid, but can offer you a £20 refund as a gesture of good will" Hmmm....what do I do ? If its an easy fix then yeah...if not argghh...
  • wellsyboywellsyboy Frets: 453
    The can't offer you a refund comment would have sealed it for me and I'd make him take them back - the contact cleaner is a good suggestion though - WD40 however, is NOT!!!! I have a little jack plug with a series of spray holes for just that very job!

Cheers - I won't be doing the WD40 then....I wouldn't anyway unless I was told it was ok by one of you guys. So, I can buy some contact cleaner but without a jack plug like you got how do I get it down there ? Straw on the end of the spray nozzle ? Or is it easier to just open the bugger up ?

as for his no refund - I'm fully aware if I push it with Paypal I will get my money back, not sure how I'd get the postage return money or how to make him pay it ? Hmmm....

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    As they are faulty ebay will ask him to refund the postage as well, I think you will need to pay return postage though
    That seems unfair - I end up £20 out of pocket for no fault of my own ?
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775

I was wrong seller pays return postage, see here

http://ocsnext.ebay.co.uk/ocs/sr?&query=1552

Now that sounds more like it. I've put to the seller I'd be inclined to accept £30 refund and get it sorted at my end by a local techy type. See what he says..but I seem to have the upper hand here I reckon. I'd be totally happy with 'em if they worked 100% as they are supposed to. They look as new...just a shame and annoyance that one of the jacks is knackered/faulty.
    Settled 'out of court' I accepted a £30 partial refund. I'll get the dodgy jack sorted soon, if I cant do it myself i'll find a man who can...shouldn't cost more that the refund value (I hope).