High end pedals & why do people hate them?

What's Hot

Comments

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    If you want to spend your money on pedals then i don't see why not!  As long as you're not contributing to a crook or scam artist of a "manufacturer" then I don't see the problem.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FezFez Frets: 533
    I know plenty of players who hate pedals full stop and see them as an affront to their 'blues purity'. Any discussion of high end pedals sends these idiots apoplectic. But then you don't really need any effects for another fucking rendition of 'Mustang Sally'.

I don't have a huge pedalboard but I do have some pedals on there that probably qualify as 'high end' (Cornish) as well as 'budget' (Mooer). I'll try anything that's built well and sounds good and if I have the cash I have a wider choice. But I've turned up for shows with my gear and have been pretty much ridiculed by the blues purists...Obviously at the end of the night the Squiers and Blackstars are loaded into the various Mercedes' & BMW's. 

The other guitarist in my band is like that about pedals and purity of sound of his fender amp. It did make me laugh when a guy came up to me at the end of a gig who was a bedroom player and said "How come your Epiphone Les Paul sounds better than his Gibson one. I just bought a Fallout cloud so that will piss him off. 
    Yes we do sometimes play Mustang Sally and I do drive a BMW.
    Don't touch that dial.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NotNowJohnNotNowJohn Frets: 187
    Fez said:
    I know plenty of players who hate pedals full stop and see them as an affront to their 'blues purity'. Any discussion of high end pedals sends these idiots apoplectic. But then you don't really need any effects for another fucking rendition of 'Mustang Sally'.

I don't have a huge pedalboard but I do have some pedals on there that probably qualify as 'high end' (Cornish) as well as 'budget' (Mooer). I'll try anything that's built well and sounds good and if I have the cash I have a wider choice. But I've turned up for shows with my gear and have been pretty much ridiculed by the blues purists...Obviously at the end of the night the Squiers and Blackstars are loaded into the various Mercedes' & BMW's. 

The other guitarist in my band is like that about pedals and purity of sound of his fender amp. It did make me laugh when a guy came up to me at the end of a gig who was a bedroom player and said "How come your Epiphone Les Paul sounds better than his Gibson one. I just bought a Fallout cloud so that will piss him off. 
    No offence meant. Although I refuse to play Mustang Sally, I do have a Merc. 
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I've owned all sorts of gear, from the uber low-end to the uber-high end... it's always the same... some good things about it, some bad things about it.

Sound quality and algorithm quality is just no longer an issue in <currentyear>.
  • The bottom line is it's fun to experiment with new toys. It doesn't matter whether they're cheap or expensive - you've got new sonic options. If something makes you play more/better or achieve the sounds in your head, what's the harm?

I drive a Punto
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Fez said:

I bet Mustang Sally sounds just killer!!!!
  • The bottom line is it's fun to experiment with new toys. It doesn't matter whether they're cheap or expensive - you've got new sonic options. If something makes you play more/better or achieve the sounds in your head, what's the harm?

I drive a Punto
    I don't even drive.
  • I drive a Renault........I lost track of this thread sorry.
    i have thought about wearing women's underwear, I just got a Blues Driver, which is a reasonably priced pedal, but it's got the Keeley mod, which is boutique, but it was done by the guy who sold it to me so not overpriced, erm.....yay!!! =)
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • Dopesick said:
    Because they're fucking peasants.

Don't want those impoverished unwashed types touching my Eventides.

Nice.  I know I don't want to touch your Eventide.  I'm from 'merica. I don't care if this comment gets me kicked off this forum.  Seems to be some cool people here and I know you have to take the good with the bad but on most forums people are nice enough to keep bashing out of the topics.   

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    edited August 2016
    baddog01 said:
    Dopesick said:

Nice.  I know I don't want to touch your Eventide.  I'm from 'merica. I don't care if this comment gets me kicked off this forum.  Seems to be some cool people here and I know you have to take the good with the bad but on most forums people are nice enough to keep bashing out of the topics.   

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/630473/o-THIS-IS-ENGLAND-facebook.jpg

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    baddog01 said:
    Dopesick said:

British humour!  
  • I am an average guy with average income. I cannot justify spending a weeks wages on a pedal. I've had guitars that cost less. I've had cars that cost less!

If people want to buy that kind of stuff it's fine with me. A professional musician should have pedals with better quality components.

• Do people really hate high end pedals?  Or is it just that some people don't like it that other people (seemingly) have more money than them?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28652
    Unfortunately a lot of folk - not just Americans - are highly judgemental.  If other people think differently they don't think "fine, it would be boring if we were all the same";  they don't even think, "well I think you've got that wrong mate, but you're entitled to your opinion".  They think, "you're wrong, and I feel fully entitled, nay compelled, to lecture you on the error of your ways, and I'm not ruling out losing my temper in the process".

Why?  Mainly insecurity, I suspect.  Deep down there's just this little nagging doubt that they may be wrong.  And because they are the kind of people who need certainty, that makes them very uncomfortable.  The threatening notion that someone who disagrees with them may be right has to be squashed, very aggressively if necessary.
    I think it also has to do with naive realism - they genuinely believe that they came to their position through intelligent, objective consideration of all the factors. Therefore anyone with a different position simply hasn't thought it through properly - that's the only explanation for contrary opinions.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    The other thing I should have possibly added to my post on the previous page is that there's nothing wrong whatsoever with high end pedals. It would be very hypocritical of me to say there was given the number of silly cars I've owned... Never had a BMW though... No real reason why.
  • . When your born you helpless and when you die your helpless. All the crap in the middle is just filler. Enjoy the time you have and if the means buying expensive gear so be it.  I've been building amps for myself for a couple years now. Nothing fancy but nice enough for me. Now I've started building pedals to keep me occupied. It's all filler.:) 
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    edited August 2016
    baddog01 said:
    Dopesick said:

Uppity colonials. 
    We should jolly well remind them we let them keep that country......
    I support England by playing American guitars and a German amp..... Oh hang on. 
  • mellowsun said:
    I find this surprising. I thought 'murican P&W guitarists were into their high end gear.
    Remember transparent driveiness is next to Godliness. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28652
    I thought the Doctor Scientist The Cleanness was next to Godliness.

Or does the science bit spoil that? ;)
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • FezFez Frets: 533
    With boutique pedals and many other things there is quality and there is to use an Americanism "snake oil" I have no problem with paying for quality but I do for snake oil.
    Don't touch that dial.