High end pedals & why do people hate them?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2362
    ^ Bingo. I'll pay more if something is genuinely better (assuming I can afford it) but I resent being asked to pay more if it's not.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28654
    Good snake oil isn't cheap, mind.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Sporky said:
    Good snake oil isn't cheap, mind.
    What's your definition of a good snake?
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I dunno, the usual really. Phones its mother once in a while, holds the door for people carrying things, covers their mouth when they cough or sneeze.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sporky said:
    I dunno, the usual really. Phones its mother once in a while, holds the door for people carrying things, covers their mouth when they cough or sneeze.
    Covers it's mouth with what? 
    Most snakes I've met have been very rude, sleeping all day, sticking their tounge out, they may have been teenagers tho. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    edited August 2016
    That's why good snake oil is expensive - good snakes are rare.

I've only ever seen two snakes in the wild, and only one of them was big enough to get a decent amount of oil from.

Which is a shame, because paper-in-snake-oil caps really do make a difference to the sound. Ironically they reduce hiss.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2362
    But is it oil from good snakes or good oil from any old snake?

Someone should be able to figure out which one you can make up more flowery marketing spiel about to charge more for...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11903
    Life is short, sometimes I just go with the YOLO mentality and try it for myself and see (besides jumping off a building).  Reading forums and listening to demos can only get you so far but eventually you need to decide if its for you, and if you choose carefully, you won't lose much money if you sell it on.
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1031
    edited August 2016
    I guess it depends what sort of expensive we are talking about - Klon, nope no way - there is no amount of hype that can justify literally thousands of dollars / pounds for a slight overdrive pedal. Buy a Maxon and go on holiday instead

Styrmon, maybe - do I really want to spend that much time fucking about with a pedal, do I really need that many delays / reverbs / whatevers and if I do why would I not just rack them like the Eclipse (or TBH a second hand dual s disk digitech 2120 / 2112 because lets face it the audience (and you) can't tell the difference once you're on stage).

Mostly my pedals are not that expensive - some of my wah's and I've got a few whammy's but that's it really - might buy some expensive drive pedals this year though as I fancy the new Friedman OD and the Diezel VH4 drive one too
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Sporky said:

I've only ever seen two snakes in the wild, and only one of them was big enough to get a decent amount of oil from.

Which is a shame, because paper-in-snake-oil caps really do make a difference to the sound. Ironically they reduce hiss.
    I laughed out loud at both these lines.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."