TV audio - soundbars etc?

What's Hot
Thinking of adding a proper set of audio stuff to my TV.

Any recommendations for decent kit that doesn't break the bank? What can you get for a few hundred quid?

I have no real idea what I need - I guess some combination of soundbars and subs but happy to listen to advice. My only real requirement is decent (doesn't need to be groundbreaking) audio from the TV and blurays etc.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13958
    I have an ONKYO HT-S4505 receiver and speaker set and am very happy with its performance from SkyHD, XBOX One and BluRay. It's loud with plenty of subwoofer boom when needed, and provides a detailed clear tone. 

I recommend it, can be had for around £470 but is in short supply as it's discontinued so check out the new models.

http://www.uk.onkyo.com/en/products/ht-s4505-75929.html

• WezVWezV Frets: 16782
    I do find it funny the way they now design TVs to need a sound bar.

it's not like the days were you could actually buy TVs with decent sound, and had the option of adding a home theatre system if you wanted.

nope. It's just accepted modern TVs will sound shit.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27689
    WezV said:
    It's not funny.  It's capitalism.  Which probably means it's sad rather than funny 'cos we're being conned.

Make us all want - and charge us extra for - super thin line, no bezel TVs with absolutely no room for speakers, so we get shit sound.

Then charge us extra again for add-on speaker systems that add far more bulk than a bigger bezel to accommodate the speakers would have done.

Ker-chingggggg

;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I just have mine muted with the sound going through my Cambridge Audio amp and a set of Wharfedale Diamond 9's.

Compact, looks OK and sounds kick ass.

*caveat* I don't want or need surround sound or a bass that annoys the next 3 houses.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Weirdly I've never actually considered plugging it into my hifi. Hmm. Something to ponder! 
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5420
    edited August 2016
    We got a soundbase rather than a bar. The Tv sits on it so it doesn't take up to much room & it contains its own sub too, so it's all one. 
    It's excellent. 
    I just went to Richer Sounds, told em my budget & came home with this: http://m.richersounds.com/#!/product/PANA-SCHTE80EB-B

• I have the LG LAB550w soundbase and sub, happiest I have ever been with a non 5.1 set up
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16782
    TTony said:
    WezV said:
    It's not funny.  It's capitalism.  Which probably means it's sad rather than funny 'cos we're being conned.

Make us all want - and charge us extra for - super thin line, no bezel TVs with absolutely no room for speakers, so we get shit sound.

Then charge us extra again for add-on speaker systems that add far more bulk than a bigger bezel to accommodate the speakers would have done.

Ker-chingggggg

;)
    The funny bit is how we lap it up
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    We got a soundbase rather than a bar. The Tv sits on it so it doesn't take up to much room & it contains its own sub too, so it's all one. 
    It's excellent. 
    I just went to Richer Sounds, told em my budget & came home with this: http://m.richersounds.com/#!/product/PANA-SCHTE80EB-B

I did exactly the same and have the same Panasonic soundbase.  Really good sound, nice and compact.
  • TroyTroy Frets: 224
    @UnclePsychosis Have you a Richer Sounds near you? When I brought my latest surround system they let me demo it all at the shop with no sales pressure at all.
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    I just have mine muted with the sound going through my Cambridge Audio amp and a set of Wharfedale Diamond 9's.

Compact, looks OK and sounds kick ass.

*caveat* I don't want or need surround sound or a bass that annoys the next 3 houses.
    I used to have a simple set up. Cambridge A1(?) amp with a pair of Sonata speakers on floor spikes. Got a great sound without breaking the bank or windows. Too many people equat  volume with better sound nowadays, a 7.1 surround in a small room can sound awful. You need the setup to match the room rather than the setup to make the BOOM!!!
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • " Too many people equat  volume with better sound nowadays, a 7.1 surround in a small room can sound awful. You need the setup to match the room rather than the setup to make the BOOM!!!"

Not to mention that with two small kids rampaging round the house cables for a surround sound system don't last long. 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9740
    edited August 2016
    WezV said:

it's not like the days were you could actually buy TVs with decent sound, and had the option of adding a home theatre system if you wanted.

nope. It's just accepted modern TVs will sound shit.
    I remember commenting a while back how anything to do with the picture has improved beyond all recognition over the years, what with HD, UHD, LED, etc. However, with sound the opposite has occurred - ever smaller and more tinny sounding speakers on TVs. But even audio has gone from vinyl to CD to MP3 and every step seems to be concerned with miniaturisation or with cramming more stuff onto the format, rather than improving quality.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24628
    I've got a Sony AV amp and the Q Acoustics 2000 speaker pack.

I got them both when new models had been announced so got good deals.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28698
    My telly's speakers are good enough for telly.

For the PC I have a Canton soundbase, which is lovely.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12426
    I used to have our bluray player hooked up to the stereo, that worked ok but was a bit bass heavy, especially with action films. Nowadays we've got a Denon soundbase, works fine with everything. 
  • MtBMtB Frets: 922
    I've got my Panasonic flat screen TV + Humax recorder connected to my Cyrus 5 hifi amp and Mission 780 bookshelf speakers - sounds ace!
  • hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    I needed a decent sound system for the new flat screen TV we bought, I listened to a few sound bars & never liked the audio from them. I bought a used  Panasonic SA-ST200 7.1 bluray home theatre system that sounds very good indeed & all for the princely sum of £28 off ebay. B)
  • So what's the thinking about hifi amps/speakers with the TV?

Will the hifi speakers be able to handle it OK or does the marketing bumf about home cinema speakers have a point?
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    TTony said:
    WezV said:

Ker-chingggggg

;)
    To be honest... 

TV speakers were always shit. If you wanted movies to sound good you plugged in surround sound, or the hifi 

This is nothing new. But these days because you can have a TV that isn't 50% ugly plastic bezel the speakers are smaller as well as shitty 

But given that everyone I've ever been to the house of has plugged their stereo into the TV to get better sound - is it capitalism to put token speakers on TVs or simply realising that no one uses the speakers even if they're made of unicorn tears and unobtanium so why bother putting good ones on?