Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What price point does a guitar purchase change from pure playability to having to think about resale

What's Hot

Comments

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I'm pretty sure every guitar I ever bought, and subsequently sold, was bought with the idea that I would keep it.

Ho hum..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I try to buy used. Not much of an issue then.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12678
    I buy things (not just guitars) that interest/move me - that I connect with. Often I pay more than I 'should' because I want a particular item and when I come to sell it, I may lose money on it... so be it. I've owned and enjoyed and had some use of the item, therefore that's cool - that enjoyment has cost me "x". I worry about it the same as I worry about going out for dinner costing me money.

Some people are, in my humble opinion, too worried about "losing money" when (not 'if') they sell a guitar.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • PlukkyPlukky Frets: 282
    I am fortunate enough to have quite a large guitar fund, built up when I was young(er), free and single.  Now that I have a family, the reality is that my guitar fund is what it is - no more money goes into it, so if I want to buy another guitar, I need to sell existing guitars to do that.

In this scenario, I'd be nuts not to think about resale.  Not because I view guitars as an investment.  Not because I have no passion for the instrument.  But because there are loads of guitars in this world that I would like to play while I'm here and careful stewardship of my hard earned fund is the way to achieve that. Especially as most of my guitars are bought from overseas and the reality is that some of them don't meet expectations.

And that's before I factor in my responsibilities to my family: of course I save what I can for eventualities, but keeping a mental inventory of what might have to be sold in the event of dire emergency is just being responsible, surely?

To answer the OP's question, about a grand, I think - I have a PRS Mira that I do not consider selling purely because I think that it is a significantly better guitar than I could buy with the 600 quid or so that it would fetch.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5295
    If i had loads of spare cash kicking around and a steady stream of loads of cash coming in I would spent loads on guitars, I dont have loads kicking around so i buy some (very nice ones), but do bear in mind i will probably sell them on at one point, i prefer 2nd hand guitars so never really a problem regarding taking a huge hit.
    I am a tight arse though
  • 1500 quid is probably the pricepoint I would set as an absolute limit myself too, as I simply would not enjoy owning and playing a guitar that cost any more than that

• impmann said:
    I buy things (not just guitars) that interest/move me - that I connect with. Often I pay more than I 'should' because I want a particular item and when I come to sell it, I may lose money on it... so be it. I've owned and enjoyed and had some use of the item, therefore that's cool - that enjoyment has cost me "x". I worry about it the same as I worry about going out for dinner costing me money.

Some people are, in my humble opinion, too worried about "losing money" when (not 'if') they sell a guitar.

To follow on from that point if you are thinking about resale before you need maybe take a step back and think about whether you can afford it. 

Whatever happened to buying a guitar because it felt great to play? Is the issue due to people buying things blind?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • I don't buy a guitar that isn't playable, because we're all fickle and GAS is a bitch I'd be liying if I said I didn't always have half an eye on resale. That said though there's been a few guitars that sounded so good and played so well that I just had to buy them no matter the aftermath on the resale front. 

If if your real question is at what point does playability improvements end and cost spiral, then only you can decide that?

I couldn't afford a brand new PRS and to be honest I don't think I'd pay £3k for a new one but to me they are extremely playable guitars and I'd have no concerns paying £15-1600 for a used one 
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    edited September 2016
    I'm in the @impmann  @meltedbuzzbox camp on this one, if you are worrying about resale, why are you bothering in the first place?

I think I've got thru my fair share of guitars, but they have always been bought to play, if only because I was curious to try one of whatever it was, out, and I knew it wouldn't be a 'keeper'. Saying that I usually buy 2nd hand and don't buy shiny new things on tick, so other than a few quid either way, I can usually move things on, and if not so what? I've still got something to play until I do.

Now Vox amps...

• PlukkyPlukky Frets: 282
    Whatever happened to buying a guitar because it felt great to play? Is the issue due to people buying things blind?
    Yes, this is definitely a factor, but also, what if your tastes change? Unless you have an infinite supply of cash, you have to make do with what you have.  10 years ago I was a PRS fanboy, now, quite the reverse.
  • "Guitars are like women.  If they aint ruined and worthless by the time you're done with them then you aint doin it right" - Kurt Cobain.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30310
    I've never considered the resale value of any guitar I've bought. Maybe if I had I wouldn't be living in abject poverty where even everyday household items such as toilet paper have to be thought of as luxury purchases.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Plukky said:
    Yes, this is definitely a factor, but also, what if your tastes change? Unless you have an infinite supply of cash, you have to make do with what you have.  10 years ago I was a PRS fanboy, now, quite the reverse.
    I think if you play guitar for ten years you have had your monies worth whatever the initial outlay
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12678
    Plukky said:
    I think if you play guitar for ten years you have had your monies worth whatever the initial outlay
    This.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5073
    edited September 2016
    Plukky said: Most of my guitars are bought from overseas and the reality is that some of them don't meet expectations.
    Just wondering why you buy mostly from overseas? I think the UK is a great place to buy guitars, if you buy used and wisely. And unless they're too far away you can try before you buy.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • MattGMattG Frets: 170
    Personally for me there is no amount of money that I can spend on a guitar whereby i care about resale value however i always try extensively before i buy and regard all but one of my guitars as keepers because of this but I can see why with some people there would be.
    And it has nothing to do with passion, people with passion about guitars enjoy playing them and enjoy or at least find it interesting playing lots of different ones so if somebody questions the resale of a guitar before they bought it because it a guitar they are interested in but know they may want to trade it for something they find interesting in a few months then whats the harm in that? its good to know if youre going to get through alot of guitars in this way that youre not going to lose too much money on it.
    People with passions for cars and bikes do it all the time so why should guitars be any different?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2612
    edited September 2016
    I think we're past "peak guitar" and am very sceptical about guitars as investments. 

Resale value is a big consideration though.  I tend to think of the "real" price of a guitar as the price I paid less the price I'm confident I could get for on a quick re-sale. That's how much I have reduced my wealth by buying it.

If I spend £2k on a guitar and am confident I could re-sell quickly for £1,800 I have actually 'spent' £200. If I buy another at £2k knowing I'd have to price it at £1,000 to get it re-sold the true cost is £1,000. 

I'm not saying I wouldn't buy the second guitar, but it's costing 5 times as much so there would need to be better reasons for buying it. If its feature set were spot on for me, and not easily available, and I was confident it was a keeper, I'd probably still buy it. But I've dropped enough money reselling guitars that turned out to be unwise purchases to have learned to be careful.

As for the passion thing, I'm a sceptic. I'm a player, not a collector, and the main thing for me is always feel. When I buy my next guitar it will be because I think it will feel better than one I've already got. But the guitars I've got are great-feeling guitars, so I'm potentially spending a lot of money on fairly infinitesimal differences.

I can rationalise that in various ways: guitar is such a big interest for me, I don't have many other extravagances, looking round here I'm far from the worst.  But with my sensible hat on, I do think it's fairly irrational behaviour, and I'm not going to flatter myself that it's a good thing because it shows I have 'passion'. I have more admiration for the kind of player who thinks he already has a half-decent Strat so why would he be hunting around for another when he could be playing the damn thing.

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • On a side note...

Strikes me that constantly thinking about resale ahead of time is rather akin to drawing up a pre-nup agreement every time you meet a new girl - It may reek of practicality but it seems somewhat lacking in passion, and I'm sure would put the kibosh on a successful relationship.

The only time you should factor in resale convos are to satisfy nearest & dearest or family members with concerns.
    Guitars are not really investment worthy items - unless someone offers you a genuine vintage one for next to nothing.

For investment obsessions you'd be better off on a different kind of forum discussing banking products,buying and flipping houses and investing in bitcoins.

Wonder if I'm the only one on here who wishes there were more conversations on here about passions and desires for guitars and less about resale values?
    This pretty much.

I never think of resale.  If your thinking of resale price before you buy - you shouldn't buy
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The irony being if you really want to sound better, the money is far better invested in lessons or time off work to practice. 

That being said, let GAS commence.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • There's no real need to think of resale value if you stick to buying used gear. If you want something specific that can mean a waiting-game, but, provided you can move stuff on, is a good bit more guilt-free than a 40% loss on selling a new guitar.
    You'll lose less on a used guitar but the market can shift. Happened to me with amps. There was a time when high end valve amps kept ok resale, but when I wanted to sell my mint Mesa Roadster I couldn't even get £1k cash for it and had to trade it in to get a decent return...

Its less likely to tank that way with guitars but the way Gibson are going Les Pauls and SGs probably aren't going to go up in value any time soon.