Playing festivals - Soundcheck woes for a newbie.

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• slackerslacker Frets: 2246
    My drummer did a dep for some mates at a local fete. apparently the band blamed him for being out of time even thou there wasn't a single monitor on stage and nobody sidewashed the backline.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72404
    slacker said:

My drummer did a dep for some mates at a local fete. apparently the band blamed him for being out of time even thou there wasn't a single monitor on stage and nobody sidewashed the backline.
    It wasn't the drummer who was out of time then :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2246
    ICBM said:
    slacker said:

It wasn't the drummer who was out of time then :).
    I do get your point but I did a pub gig on bass a few years ago without monitors and had to count for the drummer as he couldnt hear the band. I've also played drums in one of those awful screen boxes and couldnt hear much of the band. 
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    I played a 'festival' the other week - a gazebo in a beer garden - and the lovey old fella on the hired in desk hadn't worked many multi band bills before...

I asked for a touch more acoustic in the monitor.....he had to get the instruction manual out....I kid you not.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8493
    The worst one I ever did was a festival near Leicester about 7 years ago where the sound guy put a mic pressed hard up against the wooden baffle between the two speakers in my AC30, and took a moment out of his busy schedule to explain to us about something called "feedback", which was going to limit what he could do for us that day. :s
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72404
    edited August 2016
    Cirrus said:
    The worst one I ever did was a festival near Leicester about 7 years ago where the sound guy put a mic pressed hard up against the wooden baffle between the two speakers in my AC30, and took a moment out of his busy schedule to explain to us about something called "feedback", which was going to limit what he could do for us that day. s
    I'd probably have just taken that as an opportunity to turn the amp up further :). The guitarist in my band used to have one of those Marshall 2061 2x12" cabs, where the speakers are mounted diagonally and the grille cloth is thick enough not to be able to see the speakers. For some reason soundmen always seemed to mic up the wrong corner, and when it was one of those who like to have the guitar amps down to about the volume of the kick pedal creaking we wouldn't tell him… ;) Curiously enough it always sounded better like that!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• stefjuddstefjudd Frets: 40
    I tend to try and get as much setup as possible at the side/back stage before loading on (pedal board wiring loom etc.) to give more time on stage. Whether it's just a line check or not I'll always ask the drummer to play hard just for a couple of bars quickly so I can crank my amp to a point where I can hear it well enough. Then ask for plenty of lead vocal in my monitor for cues and know that in worst case scenario I can live with that!
    ive played a lot of those 'fake festivals' recently depping with a Blondie tribute and I have to say they are very well organised events and the sound guys are great. ;)
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3078
    We played a fete festival today. Nice EV tops and wedges and out front I Pad mixing. This thread came in very useful - a bit of toe in for the guitar amps and we got away with it. Very enjoyable but it felt weird setting up to only play 45 minutes.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• Cirrus said:
    The worst one I ever did was a festival near Leicester about 7 years ago where the sound guy put a mic pressed hard up against the wooden baffle between the two speakers in my AC30, and took a moment out of his busy schedule to explain to us about something called "feedback", which was going to limit what he could do for us that day. :s

I've had loads of riders specifying what mic to use on guitarists amps but only once have I had a guitarist position his own mic on his amp. ( he also revalved his Ac30 during sound check because it wasn't quite right)
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8493
    I do it sometimes - particularly if there's a short changeover before our set. Usually the mic will just be on a stand on my side of the stage, haphazardly placed. Once my rig is set up I'll put the mic where I like it, on the basis that if the sound guy wants to, he can place it as he prefers, but if he doesn't have time/ forgets/ sees it's in front of a speaker and is fine with that, he doesn't need to bother.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    One thing to never say:   "Can I have a bit more monitor please?"  
    I cringe every time I hear a bandmate say this - more of WHAT in your monitor exactly?  Nine times out of ten they're actually referring to their own vocal but who's to know?
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom