looking for device

What's Hot
guitarerguitarer Frets: 29
edited August 2016 in Amps
hello!

I want an amplifier device that won't have huge speaker (I want to listen through earphones mainly, and maybe ocassionally through  some decent speakers but not loud, so I don't need huge amps)

I also want to be able to apply effects, ideally using software installed in my laptop

is there a device like this?

maybe this? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Johnny-Brook-Portable-Personal-Guitar-Amplifier-with-Overdrive-Distortion-Effect-/221982304598
or this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kinsman-KAC702-Mini-Drive-Amplifier/dp/B00GYOZCL8/

or can you find me anything better?

I want as many effects as possible, ie. play with my guitar and hear it as a violin and as may distortions as possible

thanks!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    edited August 2016

Sounds like you want a multi-fx pedal.

I've got a Zoom 505 II, which I don't use personally but it sounds like it might be close to what you're describing. Its line out can either go directly into a laptop, hi-fi or headphones.

Here's the kind of things it can do:

How are you getting on with your Ibanez by the way? :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Maynehead said:

Sounds like you want a multi-fx pedal.

I've got a Zoom 505 II, which I don't use personally but it sounds like it might be close to what you're describing. Its line out can either go directly into a laptop, hi-fi or headphones.

Here's the kind of things it can do:

How are you getting on with your Ibanez by the way? :)

Great Idea !
    There are loads of cheap multi FX units that will act as an interface.

I was wondering about your Ibanez too?
    What's it like? What kind of hardware did it come with? What kind / gauge of strings are you using?

Did you get the black and red model?
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I highly recommend the Zoom G5,  they have just been discontinued but if you can find one they are really good. 
  • guitarerguitarer Frets: 29
    edited August 2016
    you do realise I don't have any sort of amp, right?
    so are the devices you propose standalone? it would be nice if they had a small speaker, just to listen for one person

maybe this?
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-Watt-Guitar-Amplifier-Portable-Recorder-and-USB-Audio-Interface-611700-/322155492306

as for Ibanez, I haven't even managed to play yet!

The multi-fx pedals above have a line out that can go into anything that has a speaker and a line in socket. Laptops, stereos, TVs, portable mobile phone speakers, oh and headphones of course. There must be something you can use to amplify the sound.

The good thing about them is that you don't need to plug into something that is designed for guitar. The pedal converts the guitar signal into a useable sound all by itself, so you just need to plug into something that makes the sound louder.
  • A vox da5 is a pretty cute little amp. 

I can't think of anything cheap that'll make your guitar sound like a violin though... I can't think of many things at all that'll do that! A Roland synth pickup? 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28735
    edited August 2016
    guitarer said:

as for Ibanez, I haven't even managed to play yet!
    Then spend the money on lessons and a Roland Microcube. Get a better amp and more toys when you can play more.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    Alnico said:
    Great Idea !

can you point me please to one of those cheap units?
    because I can only find £37+ and I would buy a whole amp at that price
    thanks!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Tell you what, if you want you can have my Zoom 505 ii for 20 quid delivered.

It's just lying around unused so if you can make some good out of it then drop me a pm.

I would, but I don't want pedal, I don't want to step on it, I want it to have switches!
    isn't there any?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2016
    guitarer said:
    Alnico said:
    Great Idea !

can you point me please to one of those cheap units?
    because I can only find £37+ and I would buy a whole amp at that price
    thanks!
    Then go buy the Blackstar fly i told you to get last time you couldn't get your head around Guitar - Lead - Amp.
    I think it even has a recording 'Out' so you can still "Hook it up" to your laptop and record.
    I was talking about Pedals that act as interfaces and yes, they cost more than £37. Most things you are going to need do !

guitarer said:
    I would, but I don't want pedal, I don't want to step on it, I want it to have switches!
    isn't there any?
    No.
    Buy an amp.
    edited August 2016
    OK but that Blackstrr Fly 3 is ridiculous 3Watts and it works with batteries! and costs £50! I could buy a Line 6 Spider 15W with that money!

Can you tell me please the cheapest best solution with speakers (as I figured out I don't have line-in in my laptop) for distortion sound?

This is the ebay link with the results sorted by price:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_sop=15&_nkw=guitar+amp&LH_PrefLoc=3&rt=nc&LH_BIN=1

Please tell me which I should buy that has decent sound and distortion! but not batteries-only, it should work on usb-charge or regular electricity
    thanks!

The Blackstar fly has an input for an adapter so you don't need to use batteries.

Why is 3w ridiculous?
    3w is plenty for a bedroom and i can get a much better sound out of a blackstar fly than i can from any line 6 spider ! They are not known for their "Distortion Sound".

Sure there are amps for less than £50 but when you're at these figures, there's not much room for 'Tone' and as such you kind of have to find the best thing that you can and that suits you. Have you tried the blackstar yet? 

I got a Vox VT20+ from our classifieds here for £55 and it's so good, if i had a band i could and would take it into a studio to record an album with. To put this into perspective it's WAY too loud for home use and i can play as loud as i like here - i mean it's just fucking deafening in my room and i never have it beyond number 3 on the volume. I would happily take the same amp as a 3w version.
    You don't need to spend a fortune to get something worth having and that sounds great but you do need to go out and try some amps to get a reference of what it is you actually like. There are as many different types of "Distortion Sound" as there are shades of white so what are you aiming for?
    If you don't know, maybe put some effort into finding out.
    Who are your favourite bands? Maybe if you start looking into what amps they use you would be able to get close.

Finally, if you want ultimate flexibility then get any transistor amp (£30-40) and a Zoom G3. You can hook that up through USB to your laptop to edit the settings and use it to record with AND run it to your amp to monitor it with. In there you have a really decent model of every amp you will need and around 100 effects plus a looper. These sell used for around £60-70 which is exactly what i sold mine for here last year. You could get this set up for around £100 used if you look around enough.

Does any of that help because by now you've had some pretty good advice from people on here who've spent hundreds of pounds and years of interest, enthusiasm and research into new products.

Is any of it sinking in?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    OK as I need:
    1) USB connectivity so that I can use software based effects and to be able to record music
    2) as many effects as possible
    3) heaviest distortion
    I should buy this Zoom G3 and a transistor amp and I am set? which is that amp because google doesn't return anything for 'transistor amp'

If you want an actual amp that has tons of effects, then take a look at the Vox Valvetronix range as Alnico suggested above. The 15W VT15 should be enough for your needs, and if you look on ebay you can probably find a 2nd hand one for less than £30.

It's a "proper" guitar amp that has a boat load of effects built in. For your limited budget, it's as good as you're going to get that satisfies all your requirements.

However, if you decide that you don't want every effect under the sun, and just want an amp that sounds good, then there are better sounding small amps out there for the price.

edited August 2016
    forgive me, i meant any solid state / transistor amp as opposed to a valve amp.

A Fender frontman 10 is around £40, a Vox Pathfinder 10 is around £50.

If you go used you could pick up all kinds of Peavey, Marshall or Fender small combo (Speaker and amp in same box) for under £40. Check out your local gumtree and search for 'guitar amp' with a max price of £40.

I like the Vox Pathfinder myself and if i was doing what you are, that's what i would choose but it's a little more expensive to buy new. As long as you're using the Zoom for all your sounds, any one of those 10w amps will be fine. The Zoom really does sound very good and it's a good interface too. There's no problem leaving the unit well alone and controlling everything from your laptop. I used to feed my laptop into a 55" TV and then you get to see everything really clearly. You can edit and tweak all day and there's everything you need in there.

NOTE: Zoom G3 does not come with a USB cable. It's an A-B cable like a printer uses and a normal printer USB cable will work fine - Approx £3.
    edited August 2016
    CLICK HERE

If you're using a G3, this will do fine for bedroom playing and simply monitoring the noise you make.

Use the headphone out on the G3 for the best sound when using headphones.

EDIT: To be clear, i am suggesting this amp to use with a G3 which will make it sound ok at bedroom levels. Make no mistake that's NOT a brilliant amp, it will just do for the purpose suggested and it fits within your budget. If you play through this amp without the G3 it's not going to sound amazing. 
    edited August 2016
    oh ok guys you convinced me I will increase my budget!
    as I dont want to throw money to the bin, can you tell me please the best cheapest equipment I need that sounds good and has tons of effects and can work via usb with a laptop to use software effects? again, my main goal is heavy distortion
    please be specific, I am ready to click the button on ebay! thanks!

• SporkySporky Frets: 28735
    "Best cheapest" is an oxymoron.

Buy a Roland Microcube and get some lessons.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2016
    I still think the cheapest amp that satisfies those requirements is something like a Vox VT15. 22 amp models and 12 pedal fx, including a Mesa dual rectifier model so I expect it will have plenty of distortion available. It also has a headphone out so you can plug that into a laptop if you have a jack to usb cable.

Here's a random vid I found with some high gain sounds.