I wrote a book about being in a covers band

What's Hot
123457»

Comments

• Dave_VaderDave_Vader Frets: 360
    edited February 2021
    I know I don't post here as often as I used to - mostly because it turns out this writing lark takes up most of your free time

On the other hand, I appreciate the support I get from this community on the rare occasions I get to play some music.

That said, I'm plugging stuff again, I've got a new book out today, bit different from the last, so under the name D.A. Holwill
    It's a Folk Horror, called Wicker Dogs set in my home county of Devon and it's only 99p this week if you're bored and fancy a read

Thanks all, and sorry for the shameless self-promotion
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • This had passed me by, just bought Fat Labrador for my kindle. Part of my ‘one day I will read a book on holiday again’ collection. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Just bought Weekend Rockstars. 
  • @Dave_Vader it's a bit of research for me as I have just about written mine. About what it's like playing in a weekend band and all the daft things that happen. 
    What was the process like sorting publishing with Amazon out etc? 
  • @Dave_Vader it's a bit of research for me as I have just about written mine. About what it's like playing in a weekend band and all the daft things that happen. 
    What was the process like sorting publishing with Amazon out etc? 

@koneguitarist ;It's a simple enough process, once you get the hang of the formatting. If you're pretty tech-savvy with word (or Libre-Office, I do everything in that) then it's easy. There's lots of help out there, and templates to use.
    There's a few hoops to jump through, but they're quite easy.
    Yours sounds excellent, would be happy to help you out anyway I can. Have you gone non-fiction, or hidden it all in a stupid story so as not to upset your mates like I did?
    Sorry for the late reply, it's been an odd week.
  • Non fiction, and named some of the people with their permission.
    Will DM you tomorrow. 
    Cheers
    Taff
  • i bought your book after reading this thread a while ago but haven't read it yet (kindle version).

* if it is rubbish there will be stern words said i can assure you.

*only joking fair play to you for having books published :-)
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

• RolandRoland Frets: 8711
    @racefaceec90 You do need to read it. Anyone who has played in a covers band knows how close to real life it is. Dave also has the ability to write realistic conversations. Somethings which many authors stumble over.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Roland said:
    @racefaceec90 You do need to read it. Anyone who has played in a covers band knows how close to real life it is. Dave also has the ability to write realistic conversations. Somethings which many authors stumble over.

'Yes indeedy,' Dave spake thusly, 'I are a conversational masterpiece and can use the words of the people who also use words when they speak to each other.'

'I take back my earlier statement,' Roland refuted. 'He cannot do any such thing, the speaking of these protagonists is entirely ridiculous.'
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I should have done a tad more research before i bought it....i didn't realise it was a novel.(Pilot error!)....it's a good read,well written with a list of character's we've all been in bands with...and there's many a tale of incidents that we've all encountered over the years and can relate to.............Could have done without the Rave and DJ sections of the book.
    Got to pull you up on your lack of research and dislike of the "Hideous Flying V" Guitar tho'...i agree.not particulary the instrument for "My Girl" .................but Status Quo did NOT play FV's in the 1970's as you referenced on page 125......Very well known for their use of Tele's and SG's tho'!
  • Frantic1 said:
    I should have done a tad more research before i bought it....i didn't realise it was a novel.(Pilot error!)....it's a good read,well written with a list of character's we've all been in bands with...and there's many a tale of incidents that we've all encountered over the years and can relate to.............Could have done without the Rave and DJ sections of the book.
    Got to pull you up on your lack of research and dislike of the "Hideous Flying V" Guitar tho'...i agree.not particulary the instrument for "My Girl" .................but Status Quo did NOT play FV's in the 1970's as you referenced on page 125......Very well known for their use of Tele's and SG's tho'!

Hello, you're talking about somebody else's book here right? I don't remember a rave and DJ section, and I would never refer to a Flying V as hideous, or get my Quo wrong.

Admittedly I've not read it back in a while, and have a terrible memory, but that really doesn't sound like my book (aside from the novel aspect).
  • Frantic1 said:
    I should have done a tad more research before i bought it....i didn't realise it was a novel.(Pilot error!)....it's a good read,well written with a list of character's we've all been in bands with...and there's many a tale of incidents that we've all encountered over the years and can relate to.............Could have done without the Rave and DJ sections of the book.

Hello, you're talking about somebody else's book here right? I don't remember a rave and DJ section, and I would never refer to a Flying V as hideous, or get my Quo wrong.

Admittedly I've not read it back in a while, and have a terrible memory, but that really doesn't sound like my book (aside from the novel aspect).
    Seemed a bit odd. Although having said that it's fiction, you can make up whatever you want ( or indeed whatever you like, whatever you say...). 

Google did reveal that Rossi did have a V in the 70s and used it on several recordings but not live as far as I could work out. He auctioned off a bunch of stuff a few years ago including the V.    
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Frantic1 said:

Have double-checked this

It's not my book, but it is one I would like to read, got a link?
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    Just put both the first two books in my Amazon trolley.  I should now have the time to read them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlonde said:
    Just put both the first two books in my Amazon trolley.  I should now have the time to read them.

Thanks very much. I do appreciate you lot, really.
  • Hey, @Dave_Vader , I just wanted to stop by and let you know that I read Weekend Rockstars a while back and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Then, just the other day, I stumbled across Fat Labrador while I was wondering why I had Kindle on my phone.  Another great read that I'm currently half way through but won't take me long to polish off, I'm sure.
    Thanks for the laughs.
  • Hey, @Dave_Vader , I just wanted to stop by and let you know that I read Weekend Rockstars a while back and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Then, just the other day, I stumbled across Fat Labrador while I was wondering why I had Kindle on my phone.  Another great read that I'm currently half way through but won't take me long to polish off, I'm sure.
    Thanks for the laughs.

Thanks very much, glad the kindle app is good for something. :)