At a BBQ...

What's Hot
Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
Where the hosts can't use a charcoal BBQ to save their lives. 
They started it when they wanted to cook, then when it didn't catch they just put naptha and paper on it, not understanding that that uses the energy rather than add to it. 

I saved the day with a straw, telling to leave it be for a bit whilst it caught, then burnt down to cooking embers. 
came back not 5 mins later to find the grill on, burgers on and a big tinfoil packet resting on the coals. 
do they not understand cooking on embers? Or even the fire triangle? 

I'm getting inordinately worked up, but it just frustrates me that they seem to think they know better!

I might buy them a gas BBQ for next year... 
'Awibble'
Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27697
    I wouldn't eat too much
    ;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Have you considered suicide? Seems like you've got real problems. It's the only way out.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3094
    Crack some beers and order a pizza... some people have no business behind a bbq. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72668
    One of those hot-air paint strippers is the best method for emergency speed-lighting a charcoal BBQ. You can get it roaring and well on the way to embers in about five minutes.

I didn't believe it until I tried it… but it really works.

I definitely wouldn't eat too much there either - and make sure everyone else has what they want first so you don't get any for half an hour at least :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4659
    A couple of sacrificial bangers usually gets it going good and proper.
  • [Prodigy]get a chimney starter, Weber chimney starter woo ooo ooo ooo ooo oo[/Prodigy]
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    BBQ them!

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16793
    edited August 2016
    I cooked a pair of T-bones on the BBQ on Friday.  I did it whilst the charcoal was still properly on fire, with the steaks as close as I could get them. 

it felt totally wrong compared to normal BBQ technique.... But worked perfectly.

But for normal BBQ, I understand the frustration at those  who don't have the patience to do it properly.

my dad seems to think crusty black outside and questionably pink inside is all part of the fun
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2254
    Apolgiès for being superior but I had a bbq at 8 pm, lit the coals at 3 and meat on at 4.
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    slacker said:
    Apolgiès for being superior but I had a bbq at 8 pm, lit the coals at 3 and meat on at 4.
    Calm down, no one does sauces and condiments like the French, you are still an amateur by French standards.  Just because we're going out of the EU, it still doesn't make you a big fish in a small pond yet.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2254
    Wis given I am relatively superior though
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
    My brother-in-law used to do BBQs on those ridiculous little tin foil things, the ones that are known for giving people food poisoning. I remember cutting stuff open and it wasn't cooked in the middle!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72668
    I use some bricks and an old cast-iron fire grate with an oven grille on top - crude-looking but very effective. It gets fantastically hot after a couple of hours.

I've also got a little portable tripod one from B&Q or somewhere, but I generally only use that for the small non-meat stuff that doesn't need properly cooking.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    Hertz32 said:
    Where the hosts can't use a charcoal BBQ to save their lives. 

That's the last fucking BBQ I invite you to!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24849
    axisus said:
    I remember cutting stuff open and it wasn't cooked in the middle!
    You are Sambostar and I claim my prize!