honesty required

What's Hot
SargeSarge Frets: 2429
Ok,  I'm pished, so very very pished, and all I've had all night is tabloid racist bullshit from the inlaws, unbelievably backed up by the missus (God knows why as she always acknowledges how fucked up her mam and father in law is ) on how it's all the Romanians fault because "the last 3 rapes committed In Scotland were by Romanians" 
yet as far as Google will let me find the last 98% of crimes committed in Scotland were committed by Scottish people. 
And that perennial "you've had a few too many"  argument  seems to hold so much sway, ........ why can't people just admit that their only source of world  news is fed to them by A,  a government who needs you to think this particular way.. or B,  the media publications who also need you to think that way.? 
why can't people just be honest and admit they only form their opinions based on what their favoured media wants them to believe? 
I'm one of them(media fed)  but I'm willing to accept my opinions are wrong once proven otherwise! 

fuck,  I hope this makes sense! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SargeSarge Frets: 2429
    shit,  where's the rum gone? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3073
    Sarge said:
    shit,  where's the rum gone? 
    Did a Romanian steal it?
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

23reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24849
    I've just read this sober.

I need a drink....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2940
    Yes it makes sense.  I have similar arguments with my farther who's only news comes from a provincial newspaper.  He blames the Poles for all the ills in the world.  He has access to the internet but as "it only exists to steal the money from my bank account" he hardly uses it.    His view of the world comes from a very biased source and now that he's retired (he's in his mid 70's and disabled) he mixes with few people and has no other input.   Mind when he worked all he read was the Sun so his starting point was always very low.   

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    Yeah some do blindly accept what they read/hear as gospel without looking into the story. As far as I'm aware pretty much all media is biased or plays to a certain angle or commonly held perception. Same applies to government.

I usually take every story with a pinch of salt until I've done some research.

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited August 2016
    Stuff like that would probably get me mad.  I don't mind theories based on nonsense but based on the media gets my goat and it can come from either end of the liberal-nazi spectrum.  The brainwashed channel 4 and BBC disciples are as bad as Fox News in my book.  My dentist is Romanian and I have bad teeth and she is great.  Although it's my understanding that they have a shortage of decent dentists in Romania these days.  I mean philanthropy doesn't really run high with the dental profession in general.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6908
    edited August 2016
    Sambostar said:
    I mean philanthropy doesn't really run high with the dental profession in general.
    Paul Reed Smiths aren't cheap you know...
    Previously known as stevebrum
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Confirmation bias is a thing - once you get an opinion, you tend to gravitate towards things that enforce your opinion, and move away from things that contradict it...

Even smart people who have done research-based qualifications where they literally spend years trying to over-come their confirmation bias to make their thesis top notch enough to get their qualification can fall foul and wind up adamantly defending bullshit...

As to the whole "immigrants are the rapists and murderists" type argument - it's always been a reasonable estimate that 80% ish of violent crime is committed by people you know - friends, relatives, co-workers so, it would seem likely that most of the immigrant crime would be against other immigrants - so surely racists shouldn't be that upset, and violence against natives would be most likely by other natives ... now, if that supposition is correct then migrants account for what, 10% of people... so logically most of the violent crime is people born here... at least, that's my thinking - I'd love to see some actual statistics, but it's too sunday morning to bother with researching it properly
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8763
    'Twas ever thus. We've always got our "information" from a limited number of biased sources. We selectively filter that information, and accept that which fits with our world view. We then discuss it with like minded individuals who reinforce our prejudices.

One of the things I like about this forum is that we get different opinions. Sometimes they are born out of hands on experience. Sometimes they come from a different perspective on life. Generally we're a pretty tolerant bunch, and this mixed community generates some interesting discussions. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    Sarge said:
     why can't people just admit that their only source of world  news is fed to them by A,  a government who needs you to think this particular way.. or B,  the media publications who also need you to think that way.?  
    Maybe because they use social media?
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited August 2016
    People can't handle the truth

There is a slight point to be made though that life is basically what you believe, so the question is, if you don't actually believe in anything, are you actually alive?  mmmm

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    I wrote a song about these kind of people, it's going to be on my unknown failure of an album. I've had conversations with my own family that anger me, you'll get some bullshit about how immigrants are causing all the crime and no amount of hard statistics will convince them otherwise. Then there's my grandad who was so incensed by the idea of the Calias migrants being helped by the French to cross the channel that he was ranting about shooting them. :/

This one's dedicated to Katie Hopkins, anyway;

Measure of a Man

You cannot satisfy them, they creep across the land, they want to be the only way
    Green fields are built upon, black towers rise above you, tinted windows darken every day
    So now we lock our doors, and though we carry phones, isolated sheep don't understand
    Clubs replaced by media, society's been put on hold, suckling at the state they hold out hand

It's not your place to have a care
    To decide what makes the measure of a man
    To see the world as black as you do
    I'd hoped that given time you'd understand

I hope you're listening, don't ever let them in, at the borders just turn them away
    And as they stand before you, they've given everything, just to give you the chance to say
    You're not welcome here, your kind are just rapists and thieves
    We need the balls to say it's not OK to get in here, think you're the same as me?

It's not your place to have a care
    To decide what makes the measure of a man
    To see the world as black as you do
    I'd hoped that given time you'd understand

That by the time they get here, they've carried the weight of the world
    Can't you see you're parcelling dirt to sell to the dregs of the earth? You sicken me
    Shouldn't be so quick to judge, but you said to me;
    "I'd let them crawl from the globe or drown at sea, I don't care where they go when they go from here
    I struggle to see why I'd care if they die, it's not like their problems are mine if you let me decide."

There's a place where they go that you can't see
    In the back of a truck where they can't breathe
    And you lay the blame

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I've just reread this sober,  I'm not sure if it's a good thing that I'm just as coherent sober as I am drunk! 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Doesn't the in-laws house have doors?

At the first sign of such nonsense I'm gone....out through the door marked out. Funnily enough the invites dry up eventually, a blessing of which I'm eternally thankful for. 
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3431
    They're probably responding to the story from this week of the Romanian man who dragged a schoolgirl aged 14 into the bushes outside a supermarket in Barrhead and raped her. Big story.

He's also playing to other racial stereotypes by also being charged with theft!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @ourmaninthenorth they're staying with us, plus we don't have a spare room so I even have that racist biggot wanker sleeping in my bed! 
    They're probably responding to the story from this week of the Romanian man who dragged a schoolgirl aged 14 into the bushes outside a supermarket in Barrhead and raped her. Big story.

He's also playing to other racial stereotypes by also being charged with theft!
    Exactly this! 
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Nah. It never happened. Immigrants and non-British never do anything wrong. Rotherham was a flase flag operation too.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    Drew_fx said:
    Nah. It never happened. Immigrants and non-British never do anything wrong. Rotherham was a flase flag operation too.
    FINALLY some sense from you =)

Nah, obviously that's bollocks and immigrants DO commit crimes, even at a disproportionate rate due to human nature being what it is when people are down and out, have nothing to lose, and are from poorer areas with worse education, more poverty etc. As usual I'm not entirely clear what your point is because you usually obfuscate it behind sarcasm/ dry wit.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30951
    On the flip side, imagine a kid in a village in Afghanistan, who only has maybe one TV in his region, with only local news, who just lost his parents jn a US raid.

Can you imagine how you'd feel in his shoes?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom