Best EL34?

What's Hot
GadgetGadget Frets: 897
Anybody got any recent experience of buying EL34s?

I need to revalve one of my amps with a new quartet, so I'm interested to hear any personal experiences. I'm not really looking for classic NOS, so recent / current production preferred.
I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30947
    Svetlana Winged C.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• GadgetGadget Frets: 897
    New ones?

I read some discussion about current production ones being different to c.2000?
  • Does it make a difference?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72612
    Does it make a difference?
    Yes :).

Personally I am not a fan of Svetlana/Winged C, I have found them unreliable. I think they're out of production now too.

The best I've found for reliability are JJs and TADs, and the best for tone usually EHs, although they don't last long usually.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GassageGassage Frets: 30947
    ICBM said:
    Does it make a difference?
    Yes :).

Personally I am not a fan of Svetlana/Winged C, I have found them unreliable. I think they're out of production now too.

The best I've found for reliability are JJs and TADs, and the best for tone usually EHs, although they don't last long usually.
    In a Hiwatt, they're pretty much unbeatable.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Those are all on my possible list.

I heard there are only two actual valve factories left now worldwide anyway and that therefore everything originates from these, no matter what the 'brand' (?)

Where are people buying from? Hot Rox? Watford Valves? Thomann?.... I hear good and bad things.
    Gassage said:

In a Hiwatt, they're pretty much unbeatable.
    No they aren't.

Mullards and Siemens sound *much* better than any modern valve in a Hiwatt, as well as lasting a lot longer :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JJ are also some of the most affordable?
    I think the ht5 sounds good but online reports say a valve change makes it even better
  • For current-production, there is really only JJ for bang-for-buck. But I imagine that anybody who tinkers would probably prefer Mullard XF2
    NOS do have a following and I do have a small collection of odds-and-sods, but for real world use (and sub-stratospheric budgets!) I have to keep to current / recent production, for power valves at least.
  • Out of interest, what is considered to be the the best modern equivalent of the old Mullards? Is nobody making decent replicas?

• NomadNomad Frets: 549
    Where do Groove Tubes fit into the grand scheme of things?

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

Nomad said:
    Where do Groove Tubes fit into the grand scheme of things?
    In the overpriced relabelled Russian and Chinese valves category. For some reason they seem to be able to select for unreliability as well… I've never quite understood how.

Out of interest, what is considered to be the the best modern equivalent of the old Mullards? Is nobody making decent replicas?
    No.

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    I've had good results with the latest production Chinese EL34-B.

This has had several improvements over the years and is now a good valve, unlike most other Chinese valves....

Ruby Tubes, PM and TAD sell this valve under their own brand.
    jpfamps said:

This has had several improvements over the years and is now a good valve, unlike most other Chinese valves....

I have to say it's very hard for me to even consider using a PM labeled valve, given the utter crap they were in the 90s - one of the main reasons I started using old valves, even before it became popular - but I suppose times change…

:)

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    ICBM said:
    jpfamps said:

I have to say it's very hard for me to even consider using a PM labeled valve, given the utter crap they were in the 90s - one of the main reasons I started using old valves, even before it became popular - but I suppose times change…

They were indeed very poor....

The EL34-B though has been through a significant number of improvements though.
  • jpfamps said:
    ICBM said:
    jpfamps said:

They were indeed very poor....

The EL34-B though has been through a significant number of improvements though.

Makes me wonder when they'll be churning out stuff that's really close to the old kit. 

Makes me wonder when they'll be churning out stuff that's really close to the old kit. 
    I thought Mullard were supposed to be starting up again a few years back?
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    Just the brand, I think, rather than the knowhow. Does anyone remember tech tube?
  • Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235
    I had a tech tube Preamp valve, it was very poor sounding and went michrophonic after a few gigs. 

I seem to remember the hype about using old Mullard equipment in the old Blackburn factory.. Didn't do the valve I had any favours.