has anybuddy EVER stopped Gassing for ODs?

What's Hot

Comments

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Yeah I don't buy OD's now either, I'm happy with Boss SD-1 Waza, Suhr Shiba Reloaded, and MXR Badass Overdrive.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2253
    Klon
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7542
    I exist in one of two phases: 

Gigging/rehearsing - in which case GAS goes away and I have a nice simple OD and boost setup and all is good in the world.

Not gigging/rehearsing - an endless cycle of chasing fairy dust
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7795
    I've tried most of the variants out there but still buy and flip things. Everyone should try the main food groups: Rat, zen, klon, TS, ODR-1, muff, mosfet etc and then look at variants that fit their needs. 
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Yeah. The Thorpyfx stuff genuinely cured my of gas.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    TimmyO said:
    I exist in one of two phases: 

Gigging/rehearsing - in which case GAS goes away and I have a nice simple OD and boost setup and all is good in the world.

Not gigging/rehearsing - an endless cycle of chasing fairy dust
    Much wisdom here.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30945
    Most people change the OD when they'd do a lot better changing the EQ profile of what they have with an EQ pedal.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72566
    I have no interest in overdrive pedals. I own a Boss DF-2 and a Mesa Flux Drive, and if I wanted a more "overdrivey" one I would just go and buy another Boss SD-1...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• LewLew Frets: 1657
    edited August 2016
    Never especially gassed for them. I prefer a lowgain fuzz. I think the one that hung around the longest was a Keeley BD-2. Usefull post, eh?
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7811
    hootsmon said:

proper Klon?

No a soul food. 
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4044
    Nobels ODR-1
    Works for me. 
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 254
    octatonic said:
    nick79 said:
    Mesa Throttle box eq. I need nothing else. 
    ... well, aside from a hearing test.
    Take it you've actually used one? And not just listened to the (tbh quite poor) Mesa Boogie official demo's? 
    Or maybe it's just that it works for me, and i actually know how to use it...? 
  • SlimbertSlimbert Frets: 337
    I've given up on drives completely.

Nothing will beat the drive channels on my amps and I'd rather use the extra room on my board for more interesting things.

Also, I no longer need two power supplies....WIN!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Grunfeld said:
    Nobels ODR-1
    Works for me. 
    Same for me

Well, I have the ODR-1 and the ODR-S on my board but I dont bother buying anything else as they have seen off everything I have compared them too (got to be over 20 or 30 overdrives)
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549

I've owned precisely three crunch pedals in the 41 years since I started playing. A boss DS-1 when I first started, a Boss HM-2, which I used for years, and now a TC Nova Drive. Still have the HM-2 but don't use it any more. The Nova Drive has bags of variety and works a treat with the add-on 3-way footswitch (so, direct access to 3 patches in each of 6 banks).

I've never gassed for overdrives (or much of anything else guitar related, come to that), and have never understood the fascination

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7795
    ^because you've not tried any nicer ones?
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549

The stuff I have sounds good to me. Besides, I have better things to do than spend inordinate amounts of time and money chasing some holy grail that, by all accounts, appears to be unobtainable.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2362
    do you mean actual overdrives, or all dirt pedals?

if you mean the former, sure- timmy and an sd1 or tubescreamer (or clone) will work for me just fine, and to be honest i could be happy with pedals which are similar to a timmy as well.

for actual dirts, not so much, though at the same time my GAS has been a lot less since I never seem to be 100% happy with distortion pedals and think i'll just stick with what i've got (I use those OD pedals I mentioned as boost so that's maybe not just as critical as using them as standalone ODs like I'd do with distortion pedals).
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33834
    edited August 2016
    nick79 said:
    octatonic said:
    nick79 said:
    Mesa Throttle box eq. I need nothing else. 
    ... well, aside from a hearing test.
    Take it you've actually used one? And not just listened to the (tbh quite poor) Mesa Boogie official demo's? 
    Or maybe it's just that it works for me, and i actually know how to use it...? 
    I'm not in the habit of slating gear I've not owned or used.
    If it works for you then great- but IMHO it isn't a great pedal, unless what you're looking for is something overcooked and over compressed.
    Show me something you've recorded with it- I'm open minded enough to change my opinion if proven wrong.

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I never started.