has anybuddy EVER stopped Gassing for ODs?

What's Hot

Comments

• chromatunachromatuna Frets: 373
    edited August 2016
    Yes

MXR Custom Modified Badass OD for my lead and medium gain stuff

Lovepedal OD11 for edge of breakup kind of thing

Sometimes stacked for heavier gain sounds but not often, few minutes a night 

Into a clean amp so four distinct sounds available 

been through a bunch, tried one other since but have found this combination great for what I do at the moment, same for about 18 months which is a bit of a record for me in the last few years. Key thing for me is the low end control that each pedal offers. Amp gain the best but for current needs this is more flexible for me

This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6148
    edited August 2016
    I've stopped at  the Amptweaker Tight Drive Pro.

Since using this, all my other OD pedals have been put to the back of the cupboard.

A truly amazing and massively underated pedal.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Since i sold my Radial Trimode i've never found anything i like as much.

When i get back into pedals, no matter what's out there that's my sound and probably what i will try to track down so yeah, I've stopped chasing OD's.
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5067
    Nope, despite being a Fulldrive II fan and the fact that I've not found anything yet to boot it off the board, you do have to keep looking don't you...? I've just scored a Liquid Sunshine off here and liking it so far. Never had a KoT or Thorpy or Kingsley...
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1031

For pure OD I tend to stick to the humble SD-1 - thought about the Waza one - don’t hear that much of a difference and for all I use it for I'm too mean to stump up the extra cash.

In terms of actual dirt I've yet to find a pedal that I feel replaces the dirty channel of a good amp - I do like the practicality of the pedal format - meaning I don’t have to drag a big heavy 100 watt head with me but I've yet to find one that makes me feel like I'm playing afore mentioned big heavy amp :)

That said I have pre-ordered the Friedman BE-OD, I’m thinking about a JHS Angry Charlie and the Diezel VH4 pedal is on my radar too – with some luck one of these will get the tones to the point that I can’t tell the difference, I live in hope!

• For pure OD I tend to stick to the humble SD-1 - thought about the Waza one - don’t hear that much of a difference and for all I use it for I'm too mean to stump up the extra cash.

In terms of actual dirt I've yet to find a pedal that I feel replaces the dirty channel of a good amp - I do like the practicality of the pedal format - meaning I don’t have to drag a big heavy 100 watt head with me but I've yet to find one that makes me feel like I'm playing afore mentioned big heavy amp :)

That said I have pre-ordered the Friedman BE-OD, I’m thinking about a JHS Angry Charlie and the Diezel VH4 pedal is on my radar too – with some luck one of these will get the tones to the point that I can’t tell the difference, I live in hope!

Having just got rid of an SD-1w I do miss it. 
    The custom switch is far more noticeable in person than on demo videos, fuller, lower background noise, I'd say it was worth it, but then I got it in exchange for lessons so...... I'd prob not stump up the actual cash lol. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • I'm happy with my overdrives mostly. I did recently switch in another, which is more of an overdrive than a low gain distortion (ie tighter and with more mids, though very controllable) but the boss df-2 remains for my looser rhythm overdrive (and it does do low gain well). Both work equally well into both of my amps. 

I am currently struggling for fuzz boxes that play nice with the ac15.  The super middy tone of the amp coupled with an inability to handle big bass and a very bright top end that turns to broken glass easily is making it difficult, but I'm working through it. I have worked out it likes my valvesporker and I can get great tones with a mid fi demo tape fuzz - but I don't think it's quite what I'm after. 
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    edited August 2016
    shaunm said:
    I have recently got hold of a Menatone Fish Factory and that might have done it for me.  

I must confess I have a soft spot for the AC Booster so I will keep that to one side and maybe further down the line put that back on my board. 

Between the the above and the drive on my amps I think I have it covered.
    Big fan of Menatone pedals, me. I have a TBIAC, Shut Up and Drive, WorkingMans Blue and King Of The Britains on my much reduced, non-gigging, pedalboard. Along with an RC Booster and a Deep Blue Delay.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    SD-1w, the pedal I always wanted Boss to make! 
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1633
    @hywelg Menatone seem to be a bit of a quiet brand on here but like you I'm a fan. 

I borrowed a bunch of pedals from a friend that included a Red Snapped, Archer and other top quality pedals. The Red Snapper was hands down the best for my set up. 

At that point this forum played a blinder and I was lucky enough to pick up a Fish Factory (double pedal with a Red Snapper on the left and a Blue Collar on the right). 

The Red Snapper is my go to side, it's basically my amp sound but just a little more. 
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    I'm done for overdrives and fuzz for now.

Distortions however...I want to try ALL OF THEM.
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    Seems a lot of people have the BE-OD on there wish list.
  • SD1.

I almost didn't properly try it out, got it in a trade with a bandmate.  Decided to try it out and found I really liked it to boost an amp with, job done...
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1633
    DanR said:
    Seems a lot of people have the BE-OD on there wish list.
    Judging by this thread a wise move would be to wait when ordering and check the classifieds in a few weeks. A lot of people on here will be ordering one, bound to be loads for sale a few weeks later.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
    Paul C Tim for me.. it's been on my pedalboard for the last 4 years.
  • jdbwalesjdbwales Frets: 314
    I use amp distortion live, but boost it with a pair of overdrives that have killed GAS in that area for me - a Big Knob TS808 clone that I've had for about 6-7 years that's recently been bolstered by the brilliant Vox Ice 9. The two together gives a massive, smooth lead tone.
  • jdbwales said:
    I use amp distortion live, but boost it with a pair of overdrives that have killed GAS in that area for me - a Big Knob TS808 clone that I've had for about 6-7 years that's recently been bolstered by the brilliant Vox Ice 9. The two together gives a massive, smooth lead tone.
    Rubbing it in aren't you!!
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12671
    Yup.
    Okko Diablo and Nobels cured my GAS
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Tuscan777Tuscan777 Frets: 125
    Original Carl Martin Plexitone. Has all I need for live work - 2 Dist/OD modes and a boost. Been using it for years, gives me all I need and not let me down yet (famous last words...).
  • jdbwalesjdbwales Frets: 314
    jdbwales said:
    Rubbing it in aren't you!!
    Sorry mate! Reminds me actually, on one of the Facebook groups I saw someone selling one for £60 delivered - meant to tell you! I'll try and find the link!