Amp recommendations - home / rehearsal bargains?

english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5174
So my brother is looking for a new guitar amp. Looking for:

• Budget > £200
  • Portable 
  • Reliable
  • Good with pedals
  • Primarily for home use but would be good to have enough power for band rehearsals
  • Headphone output (young kids at home. Alternatively, back me up and say that finding something other than the amp to tick this box would be better- he has a Zoom G3 that I think would be a better solution to the problem)
Please feel free to go as far under budget as you like! No real preference for valve or solid state, but I don't think he's interested in modelling amps with loads of bells and whistles.

My suggestions were a Peavey Bandit, or maybe one of the 20W Jet City amps, both of which should be more than enough to keep up with a drummer, but don't have a headphone output.

What do you lot reckon?

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Tech 21 Trademark 60's can be had for cheap. Pretty sure mine had a headphone out.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5174
    simonk said:
    Tech 21 Trademark 60's can be had for cheap. Pretty sure mine had a headphone out.

They do have a headphone output.

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Would a Blackstar HT5 suit him for rehearsals?
    edited August 2016
    Would a Blackstar HT5 suit him for rehearsals?
    He's considering it. I would have thought that a 5w amp would struggle to provide much in the way of clean headroom, and the combo has a small speaker in it that I'd also (wrongly?) associate with not moving a great deal of air, but it does tick all the boxes... @ICBM?

EDIT: huh. It's got a 12" speaker. Ignore my size-ist comment. After all, it's not how big your speaker is, it's the sensitivity :D

• This very Wednesday I'm checking if the HT5 is going to cut it with a loud drummer. 
    This very Wednesday I'm checking if the HT5 is going to cut it with a loud drummer. 
    I'd be interested to hear how that pans out.

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    This very Wednesday I'm checking if the HT5 is going to cut it with a loud drummer. 
    They don't! 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72668
    Blackstar or Tech21as well as various modelling amps should be on the list because they have a speaker-emulated headphone out - this is *essential*. A non-emulated headphone out like on most old amps up to the end of the 90s - ie almost all the decent cheap, giggable solid-state amps - is absolutely pointless because it sounds terrible, and its only function is to make the amp less reliable by introducing a point of failure into the speaker circuit… just a waste of time, and I usually bypass them or turn them into a Line output (which at least is useful, with modern recording software speaker emulation) or something.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    A non-emulated headphone out like on most old amps up to the end of the 90s - ie almost all the decent cheap, giggable solid-state amps - is absolutely pointless because it sounds terrible, and its only function is to make the amp less reliable by introducing a point of failure into the speaker circuit… just a waste of time, and I usually bypass them or turn them into a Line output (which at least is useful, with modern recording software speaker emulation) or something.
    Yep, that's what I thought. That was a big part of why I suggested an amp and a separate headphone... thing, since insisting on a headphone output rules out a huge number of otherwise excellent choices, and what you get in a lot of cases is going to be shit anyway.

• timmysoft said:
    They don't! 
    Pub gigs in Edinburgh are pretty quiet these days - might be surprised. 
    Else I might have to splash on something like an HT-20 or a Bogner Atma (gulp)
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6118
    Laney Cub 10. If it's not loud enough at rehearsals then an extension cabinet should sort it. Pedals all sound fabulous in front of it.
  • paulkpaulk Frets: 318
    Roland Cube 40 GX.  If you really need power then look for a used 80 GX.
    He's found a good deal on a Blackstar HT-5C. Competing with drummers isn't high on his list of priorities so I reckon it'll be a good choice. 

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27248
    Laney VC15 all the way home. Apart from the headphone out.

EDIT: Bah! too late! I'm sure the HT5 is a good bet too.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires

If it's any consolation, if it had been my money and an amp for my use, I'd say that was a good shout. The VC15 is dead good. I just have that aforementioned phobia of speakers less than 12"...

• FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2482
    I'll back you up on the headphone/G3 thing. In fact I'd go further and say G1on (it's for home use, no-ones going to see it :) ), I picked one up second hand for about £30 and it's a really handy little practise tool.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    FX_Munkee said:
    I'll back you up on the headphone/G3 thing. In fact I'd go further and say G1on (it's for home use, no-ones going to see it :) ), I picked one up second hand for about £30 and it's a really handy little practise tool.
    If he was buying it purely to do that job I'd have suggested the cheapest thing possible, but he's already got the G3.

FWIW, I think the G3 is a really solid use of the £70 or so a used one costs- it'll work as a headphone practice tool (with a metronome/drum machine), a utility pedal to cover any number of effects you don't use much, a grab-and-go pedalboard for low-key stuff that you can't be bothered to take your full rig to, a DI, a recording interface, an emergency amp/cab sim in case your main amp shits it at a gig and probably a few more things besides. Easy to use, sounds good (except the pitch effects), costs very little. I don't know why everyone doesn't have one.

• Aforementioned brother here. 

We must be related - I too have a phobia of small speakers (although I am mostly a bass player) and I also rate the G3 very highly as it does almost everything pretty well. If it had an aux in it would be the complete practice tool, but that's a minor gripe.

On paper, the HT5 is a design triumph: how it ticks so many boxes and comes in at such a price point explains why it is such a best seller. I only hope it sounds good when it arrives. It's my first proper guitar amp as well (although I understand there is some debate about whether its a "proper" valve amp) as I've only had Cubes before. I might well have bought another Cube had a good deal come up as I really rate the clean tone, but I didn't want the fx or half of the amp models.
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2482
    The G1 has an aux in (proper 3.5mm jack, not usb).
    :)
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27248

If it's any consolation, if it had been my money and an amp for my use, I'd say that was a good shout. The VC15 is dead good. I just have that aforementioned phobia of speakers less than 12"...
    I really like 10" speakers, but I know what you mean, the Vc15 in a bigger box with a good 12" would be amazing
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires