Amp recommendations - home / rehearsal bargains?

2»

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30951
    I would so try and get a Blues Jr as cheap as poss.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysoft said:
    This very Wednesday I'm checking if the HT5 is going to cut it with a loud drummer. 
    They don't! 
    Not even using a 212? 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24849
    timmysoft said:
    They don't! 
    Not even using a 212? 
    I don't own one - so I can't be sure - but I do own a 1x12 Mesa Lonestar Special, which has 30/15/5 watt power settings assignable to each channel.

On the 5w power setting, there is very little headroom - the amp runs into power-stage compression at way below gigging levels - which is the intention for studio use.

You 'might' get away with 5w if you only use driven sounds - anything clean/edge of break-up - definitely not.
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1760

Marshall VS100

Reliable, looks great, sounds great, better than most modern valve marshalls, three channels.

Runs well at bedroom volumes and at stage volumes. Gigged one for years hassle free and would happily have another

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5174

I also rate the G3 very highly as it does almost everything pretty well. If it had an aux in it would be the complete practice tool, but that's a minor gripe.

Heh. I got round this once with the ugliest bodge solution.

I needed to learn guitar parts for a band I'd joined and I wanted to be able to hear my own guitar (G3 with headphones) over the tracks they'd sent me, so I put my MP3 player's earbuds on inside the over-the-ear headphones I used with the G3. Apart from the wires trailing everywhere it worked pretty well, and didn't need to be ridiculously loud.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• FX_Munkee said:
    The G1 has an aux in (proper 3.5mm jack, not usb).
    :)
    I noticed that but only after I had bought the g3 so was a bit pi$$ed. I'd feel like I was down-grading if I went to a G1, even though the software is exactly the same afaik. Am I the first Zoom snob?
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5174
    The software might be, but the hardware isn't- having three footswitches is part of what makes the G3 viable as a pedalboard substitute for live playing. It's overkill for something you only use to practice at home, but it's a big part of the swiss-army-knifey-ness of the G3.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.