Marshall 1936 OR 1922 cabinet

What's Hot
trevjo7trevjo7 Frets: 14
Dear all, could anyone advise which of the following would be the best to purchase: 
marshall 1922 cabinet
or
marshall 1936 cabinet 

I intend to run a Groove Tubes D75 through either one of the above. I there is not too much difference bet the two in terms of dimensions, so I'm really after tonal wisdom on this. 

Trev
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72668
    There is a lot of difference between them in terms of dimensions, even if it doesn't look like it on paper. The 1936 is huge, one of the largest 2x12"s you can buy. The 1922 is standard 'compact' 2x12" size.

All 1922s apart from the very earliest ones are MDF. 1936s were ply, then MDF for a long time, but have now gone back to being ply.

To me, the 1936 sounds worse - boomier and less focused, and doesn't project all that well - than the 1922 if both are MDF, but a better if both are ply. I'd take an MDF 1922 over an MDF 1936 probably, but a ply 1936 over either… if that makes sense.

But unless it's for a Marshall head I probably wouldn't buy a Marshall cab anyway - they're both massively overpriced compared to what you can get if you're not bothered about brands, especially the Harley Benton G212V which is a proper ply cab with V30s for barely more than the cost of the speakers.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    I upgraded my MDF Marshall 1936 with celestion g12t-75s to a Harley Benton with V30s, and it was an improvement. Not sure how much of it was down to the speaker change, and I did think about putting the V30s into the Marshall cab, but the HB sounded good enough for me not to bother.

I guess the morale of the story is, the 1936 is nothing special.
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5635
    edited August 2016
    Neither cab is particularly well thought-of. Buy my much cooler, better-constructed 2x12 instead:

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/82310/
  • I'd also suggest the Harley Benton Vintage 30 cab as being a better buy than both - in fact, unless you dislike Vintage 30s, anything 'better' costs at least double.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72668
    Brize said:
    Neither cab is particularly well thought-of. Buy my much cooler, better-constructed 2x12 instead:

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/82310/
    That is a seriously good cab. The guitarist in my band had one a few years ago.

All-ply, sounds great and looks fantastic. Not as big as it looks either, and easy to carry.

The only slight problem is that the speakers are mounted diagonally, and for some reason soundmen always seemed to mic up the wrong corner, thinking it was a 4x10". Although not really a problem since they would then say they weren't getting much level from the guitar and ask him to turn up :).

I am not affiliated to Brize ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Since we're plugging our own gear, my practically new Harley Benton G212V is available for 100 quid :)
  • polotskapolotska Frets: 116
    edited August 2016
    The only problem with the 2061CX is that it’s relatively narrow—even a 50-watt Marshall head is about half an inch wider, I think, let alone the 100-watt Marshall heads, which are about three and a half inches wider.

I quite like the 1980s Marshall 1966 2x12s (as well as the matching 1965 4x10s), but they’re even narrower than the 2061CX at roughly 24" wide.
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    Maynehead said:
    Since we're plugging our own gear, my practically new Harley Benton G212V is available for 100 quid :)
    Would you be willing to ship that?
  • polotska said:
    The only problem with the 2061CX is that it’s relatively narrow—even a 50-watt Marshall head is about half an inch wider, I think, let alone the 100-watt Marshall heads, which are about three and a half inches wider.
    Sounds like an excuse to buy 2.  :)
    Dopesick said:
    Maynehead said:
    Would you be willing to ship that?
    I'm afraid not, although I am driving up to Manchester from Bath very soon, so depending on where you are...
  • jesonejesone Frets: 60
    Maynehead said:
    Oooh that's seriously tempting, whereabouts are you?
    edited August 2016
    jesone said:
    Maynehead said:
    Since we're plugging our own gear, my practically new Harley Benton G212V is available for 100 quid
    Oooh that's seriously tempting, whereabouts are you?
    Bath.

What have I done... maybe I should have started a FS thread :P
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • polotskapolotska Frets: 116
    polotska said:
    Sounds like an excuse to buy 2.  :)
    Indeed! The stock speakers in a 2061CX (Heritage G12H-30s) don’t have sufficient power handling for a 100-watt head anyway—but two 2061CXs should have just enough…
  • ICBM said:
    There is a lot of difference between them in terms of dimensions, even if it doesn't look like it on paper. The 1936 is huge, one of the largest 2x12"s you can buy. The 1922 is standard 'compact' 2x12" size.

All 1922s apart from the very earliest ones are MDF. 1936s were ply, then MDF for a long time, but have now gone back to being ply.

To me, the 1936 sounds worse - boomier and less focused, and doesn't project all that well - than the 1922 if both are MDF, but a better if both are ply. I'd take an MDF 1922 over an MDF 1936 probably, but a ply 1936 over either… if that makes sense.

But unless it's for a Marshall head I probably wouldn't buy a Marshall cab anyway - they're both massively overpriced compared to what you can get if you're not bothered about brands, especially the Harley Benton G212V which is a proper ply cab with V30s for barely more than the cost of the speakers.
    Also I'm really happy with the JetCity 2x12 I got off @digitalscream ;
    its closer to the 1922 in dimensions than the 1936 I used to have, tbh I found the 1936 a pain in the arse of you are going to take up that much room onstage, might as well get a 4x12. 
    The 1922 is a lot tighter and more focussed. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I have 1936 ... its not all that exciting. I have a Blackstar Artisan 2x12 which is superior in almost every way

These days I run into a pair of Orange PPC 1x12s which sounds great. The 2x12 sounds even better but Christ its Huuuge and very heavy.

Other good 2x12s are the 65 amps one but again it weighs a ton. The Buddah one is very nice but very deep doesn't suit all stages.
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1031
    I have an older ply 1936 which I've replaced the stock G12-75's in with V30's and I think it sounds pretty good, good enough anyway. Plus as it's a 1936 I dont really care if it gets knocked etc. when gigging!