1966 Marshall jtm45 blackflag on ebay!

What's Hot
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72669
    That's actually a JTM50 not a 45, assuming the EL34s are the original valve type and it hasn't been converted. The bias circuit has been slightly modified, but it's hard to tell if that was to change valve type or just to compensate for leaking bias caps - which is common! Particularly as all the electrolytics appear to be original. Also fitted with a dodgy solid-state rectifier conversion, which won't have helped.

Three and a half thousand quid… hmmmm...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jamesoliver1234jamesoliver1234 Frets: 1268
    edited August 2016
    Interesting! i found it on ebay its a rare amp not seen one for a long time so thought id share it with this page.
  • jesonejesone Frets: 60
    I built one of these with loads of vintage caps & resistors and Marstran iron. It was bloody awesome but when I had to sell it (on here) it went for next to nothing. I still regret doing that almost every day. :(

Interesting! i found it on ebay its a rare amp not seen one for a long time so thought id share it with this page.
    Very rare - and the best of all the variations in my opinion. All the good features - steel chassis, EL34s, valve rectifier - and more powerful-sounding than the JTM45 but softer than the JMP50.

That one just needs a bit of TLC. It's a shame about the big logo, if the box has been drilled for it - everything else can be put right easily. If it's just been stuck on it should be fixable. The best thing is that the front plexi panel is in *very* good condition.

I can get you another one if you want :). It's got a stripped cabinet but the chassis in slightly better condition than this one I think.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• i know the seller he's already been offered 2k but is holding out for more...i dont want one personally im more than happy with my twin!
  • I saw this when it was on eBay a week or so ago, thats quite a tidy profit the seller is in for. Makes me wish I'd been quicker last week!

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7802
    edited August 2016
    I'll pass, almost definitely bed bugs in there.

I saw this when it was on eBay a week or so ago, thats quite a tidy profit the seller is in for. Makes me wish I'd been quicker last week!
    If he sells it at that. Unless it was in some way very badly described - probably including a mis-spelt name - then it's a reasonable assumption that the Ebay price is the most anyone was prepared to pay. This is not a common amp and there are people actively looking for them, so it will have attracted enough bidders to

What was it sold for on Ebay - around £2k?

• DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    @ICBM, do you think that was originally a valve rectifier version? as they did convert them over to SS rectifiers pretty early on (though clearly not how it has been done in the photo!) - I can't remember where the rectifier valve socket used to sit on the chassis. In any event the usual dilemma with an an amp of this age - keeping it original versus making it functional e.g. electrolytic caps, valve sockets, screen grid resistors, pots, Bulgin etc.etc.
    Stand corrected, just looked at one of the photos, with the empty chassis hole at the end!
  • @ICBM how much to put an fx loop in that?
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    DJH83004 said:
    @ICBM, do you think that was originally a valve rectifier version? as they did convert them over to SS rectifiers pretty early on (though clearly not how it has been done in the photo!) - I can't remember where the rectifier valve socket used to sit on the chassis.
    Actually very like that! With the two diodes just soldered to the terminals on the PT. Although with much better workmanship…

The early SS-rectifier JMPs continued using the same PT for a while, so there is an unused valve rectifier winding, and the voltage is over the rating for the first filter cap - although it doesn't seem to blow them.

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2596
    tFB Trader
    I just did a recap job on one of these, one of the original caps blew its guts all over everything inside and left an awful mess, on top of that some previous techs had done allot of bodging inside.  its did sounded ace and was very nice when cranked up.
    edited August 2016
    Guess what has just turned up on my doorstep for a bit of TLC, with an elder sibling

Damn. That answers the question of whether the box was drilled for the big logo :(.

I'm sure you'll be able to sort the rest of it out though!

Ha,Ha, my next post was 'right ICBM one of my regular collectors has brought this thing to me, what do I do with it ??'

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Seriously, both are beauties and will be a pleasure to work on, and the guys who own them, want the work doing properly, so nice to be able to work away to my heart's content - better than working for a living :)