Gluten-Free Chocolate HobNobs !!!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27139
    edited August 2016
    TTony said:
    I'm not gluten intolerant but I might give them a try because Hob Nobs
    tbh, unless you *need* to be GF, I'd just stick with the standard version, which will taste more hobby-nobby and will inevitably be cheaper.

But at least the GF ones are a lot better than merely "edible".  I'd have identified them in a blind-tasting.

So now I've got decent fish & chips (albeit a 25min drive away), a choice of decent-ish beers, and biscuits.
    If you're ever in Cromer, No 1 Fish & Chips is AWESOME. 
    I assume they do GF batter on the fish? My missus is avoiding gluten and it seems to be the solution to her IBS. Yet tests say she isn't allergic to it.

Like the beer list on here too, thanks for that. She has been drinking the Estrella Daura which are <20ppm gluten and that's worked.

Otherwise she really enjoys Chocolate Coconut Macaroons. I'm going to go and find a recipe for them now.
    Yup. GF batter and fried in separate oil (i checked!). And very tasty. They even have a small wine list. 

I have Estrella Daura often, as it's the only GF beer I can get in the UAE and tastes pretty reasonable. The Brewdog Vagabond IPA is also excellent - I had one in Italy with no repercussions. 

I also got some reasonable stuff in Sainsburys over christmas but I can't remember the name - Green's, maybe?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    Drew_fx said:
    People need to stop posting about their bowel problems.
    Ok, but only if you stop with the impending fatherhood angst ! ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27639
    Brewdog Vagabond is excellent - it's my current preference and arrives here in boxes of 24 bottles
    :D

In Canada/US there's Glutenberg beer which is also very tasty, but I've not managed to find a UK retailer.
    :(

Those beer lists are contradictory, so proceed with caution.

On one, Tsingtao is shown as GF, on another it tests as >20ppm.  Ditto (though in reverse) for Pilsner Urquell.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Jalapeno said:
    Drew_fx said:
    I post far less fatherhood angst than you lot do comparing the output of your anus-i.
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    TTony said:
    I'm not gluten intolerant but I might give them a try because Hob Nobs
    tbh, unless you *need* to be GF, I'd just stick with the standard version, which will taste more hobby-nobby and will inevitably be cheaper.

But at least the GF ones are a lot better than merely "edible".  I'd have identified them in a blind-tasting.

So now I've got decent fish & chips (albeit a 25min drive away), a choice of decent-ish beers, and biscuits.
    :)
    If you're ever in Cromer, No 1 Fish & Chips is AWESOME. 
    I'm there now - completely agree!
    Stop crying, start buying
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11947
    TTony said:
    Brewdog Vagabond is excellent - it's my current preference and arrives here in boxes of 24 bottles

In Canada/US there's Glutenberg beer which is also very tasty, but I've not managed to find a UK retailer.
    :(

Those beer lists are contradictory, so proceed with caution.

On one, Tsingtao is shown as GF, on another it tests as >20ppm.  Ditto (though in reverse) for Pilsner Urquell.

I tried Pilsner Urquell a few times with no ill effects
    Shame that it's now average, when it was once a really good beer

Most of the  Uk beers that say "GF" on the label taste poor

My favourite is 
    http://www.woldtopbrewery.co.uk/beers/15/scarborough-fair-ipa
    this is a real top notch IPA

In the US, I had some O Mission IPA that was very good:
    http://omissionbeer.com/

the test is about £10 a go:
    https://www.imutest.com/products/gluten-in-food-kit-5-tests
    Maybe I should test some of my old favourites
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    @TTony have you also tried Booja-Booja? It's gluten-free and dairy free chocolate that tastes fantastic (particularly the stem ginger ones). Pretty expensive, but it's the only chocolate I can eat these days.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    Drew_fx said:
    Jalapeno said:
    Drew_fx said:
    I post far less fatherhood angst than you lot do comparing the output of your anus-i.
    That's up for debate !!!! ;)

On the bowel side - I blame the malevolent influence of @holnrew ; and whoever dreamt up the lucky poo thing !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Jalapeno said:
    Drew_fx said:
    Jalapeno said:
    Drew_fx said:
    That's up for debate !!!! ;)
    No it's not. I've got stats.
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Some of us only log in to hear about their log outs so pipe down drew.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11947
    mellowsun said:
    @TTony have you also tried Booja-Booja? It's gluten-free and dairy free chocolate that tastes fantastic (particularly the stem ginger ones). Pretty expensive, but it's the only chocolate I can eat these days.
    I thought all high-quality dark chocolate was GF and DF?
    I checked Lindt and  their 90%+ stuff does  not have  milk as an ingredient. 

btw:  as general info for all - 50% of coeliacs are  lactose intolerant when diagnosed,
    but  the intolerance can  be cured once they stop eating gluten: https://www.coeliac.org.uk/coeliac-disease/associated-conditions-and-complications/lactose-intolerance/
    "Lactose intolerance is associated with undiagnosed coeliac disease and is usually temporary. Most people with coeliac disease do not have a problem with lactose intolerance once they have been following the gluten-free diet for some time."

"Lactose is broken down by an enzyme called lactase, which is found in the lining of the gut. When people are first diagnosed with coeliac disease, the lining of the gut still has the damage caused by eating gluten which can mean that the body does not make enough lactase, the enzyme that is made does not work properly or people may not be able to digest lactose. This can cause uncomfortable gut symptoms which are often similar to the symptoms of coeliac disease.
    Once you are following a gluten-free diet, the gut is able to heal and you will be able to digest lactose again.
    Therefore, lactose intolerance is usually temporary. Following a gluten-free diet means that most people with coeliac disease do not develop lactose intolerance."

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @ToneControl ;

Was on holiday last week.

Favourite very-GF-aware pub for lunch.  Barmaid asked me if I always drank cider - to which I replied that I had little choice in pubs since I was diagnosed.

She went out back and returned with a bottle of Pale Ale from Westerham brewery.  OK, I thought I'd give it a go.  It wasn't half bad.  In fact, it tasted pretty good to my beer-deprived taste buds.  We left with a couple of other beers from the same brewery, both of which were similarly impressive.

They've only got a whole range of GF beers ...

http://store.westerhambrewery.co.uk/gluten-free-beer?page=1

Beer days are back!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTony said:
    @ToneControl ;

Was on holiday last week.

Favourite very-GF-aware pub for lunch.  Barmaid asked me if I always drank cider - to which I replied that I had little choice in pubs since I was diagnosed.

She went out back and returned with a bottle of Pale Ale from Westerham brewery.  OK, I thought I'd give it a go.  It wasn't half bad.  In fact, it tasted pretty good to my beer-deprived taste buds.  We left with a couple of other beers from the same brewery, both of which were similarly impressive.

They've only got a whole range of GF beers ...

http://store.westerhambrewery.co.uk/gluten-free-beer?page=1

Beer days are back!

great!
    how many out of 10 would you score the beer at?
    Looks like they add that Brewer's Clarex enzyme

So  far that Wold Top  Scarborough Fair is  the best I have tried,
    but I plan to buy some test kits and try  out my old favourites
    Compared to standard GF beers, these are amongst the best that I've tasted.

The BrewDog Vagabond is probably *the* best, but it's the only one that BrewDog do, whereas Westerham Brewery have got a whole range of different beers so you've got something for whatever beer mood you're in at the time.
  • Nice! I'm on my second Daura of the evening and wishing I could get anything else out here. 

I had some of those GF hobnobs in the UK last week - not bad, not as good as real hobnobs but much better than no hobnobs. 

I went to No1 Fish & Chips in Cromer again. BRILLIANT- they even had gluten free vinegar for my chips! B
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • TTony said:
    Compared to standard GF beers, these are amongst the best that I've tasted.

The BrewDog Vagabond is probably *the* best, but it's the only one that BrewDog do, whereas Westerham Brewery have got a whole range of different beers so you've got something for whatever beer mood you're in at the time.
    get thee to Aldi
    it's GF week

They have lots of stuff, including a French beer from Goudale
    and quadruple chocolate cookies, which are amazing
    Also long-life beef in black bean sauce for £2 -  first I've had for years (everyone: soy sauce contains wheat! so coeliacs rarely get to eat any Chinese food)
    Thanks @tonecontrol.

Looks like tomorrow is Aldi day.  I have been there once before, and it was OK, and this sounds like a very good reason to make a second visit.

:)
  • The vibe of Aldis varies even more than other supermarkets
    2 near me  have car parks full of fancy cars,  and a mixture of well-off and skint people shopping, whilst the other is  full of people who look skint.  When there's a special offer, I  sometimes choose a store on this basis: e.g. the skint one is less likely to sell out of pole pruner chainsaws as fast, or  tapas, or GF stuff