iOS email apps?

What's Hot
What's good? My work have just installed a bunch of stuff that puts work mails in the default mail app instead of the separate one I had until yesterday. This is good for my own workflow, but means I now want to separate out my personal mails into another app so I don't get confused.  I need an app that can do gmail, live/outlook and icloud in one place, which rules out the gmail app.

I've heard Airmail, Outlook and Spark are all good - has anyone used any of them?
The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    Airmail is great.
    It replaced Mac Mail for me which has been a nightmare.
    I use it on OSX, not on iOS though.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    Doesn't Googlemail have it's own App ?
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27007
    Jalapeno said:
    Doesn't Googlemail have it's own App ?
    Yep, but it doesn't work with anything except gmail accounts, so no good.
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4633
    I used Outlook but our corporate security guys say we can only use native apps for email
  • I'm using Airmail on Mac & iOS. Find it much easier to organise stuff & handle attachments than Mail.

Have downloaded airmail for iphone. I'll give it a week and see how I'm doing then move to it on mac too if I'm happy. 

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3322
    I just use the iPhone mail app. Add each account separately and they get their own inbox. 
    grungebob said:
    I just use the iPhone mail app. Add each account separately and they get their own inbox. 
    Yes, but that's exactly what I'm trying to avoid - I don't want any overlap between work & personal email for various reasons. Not least that I want my work emails on the second home page and my personal ones in the dock.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1771
    I use the Outlook one for my hotmail account and must say that I'm not a fan of the app - not as nice to use as the gmail one so personally I would look elsewhere before outlook.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7422
    I'm on the Airmail beta so have been using it for some time - it's streets ahead imo. Also v nifty how the account config can sync across your iOS devices (and even to Mac) 

Other apps are good for other things. I use Unibox to blast through backlogs of emails (presents them by sender rather than chronologically) 

Outlook app on iPad is very good for work - leave it open to the side of my coup and its filter does a good job of only pinging on the 'real' stuff.
    Red ones are better. 
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3322
    edited August 2016
    grungebob said:
    Yes, but that's exactly what I'm trying to avoid - I don't want any overlap between work & personal email for various reasons. Not least that I want my work emails on the second home page and my personal ones in the dock.

maybe im not understanding the question right then.
    I just use the iPhone app and dont let it combine all the inboxes that way you go to one app but all mailboxes are seprate and each can be checked, read replied separately, is that not what your after?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    grungebob said:
    grungebob said:

maybe im not understanding the question right then.
    I just use the iPhone app and dont let it combine all the inboxes that way you go to one app but all mailboxes are seprate and each can be checked, read replied separately, is that not what your after?

No, I want totally separate apps for personal and work, largely so that when I'm not working I can completely ignore one app and still have full access to personal email. It's largely an attempt at retaining some degree of work/life balance which will absolutely evaporate (even more than it already has!) if I let it.

I like totally separate notification settings too (i realise this can be done to an extent within a single app).
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    Totally agree with you, but my way of working won't work for you, unless you get your personal accounts down to just gmail. I use Inbox (by Google) for personal, and Outlook for work.

Neither make sound notifications or pop-up to the front screen (e-mails are very rarely as important as texts IMO), but I don't have any notifications on my work e-mail, and it's buried on the last page. I have my work e-mail on my phone so that I can check it if I need to get something from it and I'm away from my computer, not so that I can be hassled outside hours by people who like to send e-mails at 9pm to look busy.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    For iOS I just use the normal built in Mail app and it works well.

For Mac OS  I use Thunderbird.  
  • Have just spent 2 weeks with Airmail and honestly it's doing my head in being very slow to sync. 

Have put Outlook on this morning and so far it's much better.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2768
    Don't understand your issue
    i use ios and have 3 separate accounts - work, personal and the one I give out to all and sundry so mostly rubbish in that one
    none of the accounts overlap and I just click on the account I want when I need it.
    when I go abroad I just turn the work one off temporarily so that I don't get loads of data heavy emails coming in, then switch it back on when I get back to work
  • sev112 said:
    Don't understand your issue
    i use ios and have 3 separate accounts - work, personal and the one I give out to all and sundry so mostly rubbish in that one
    none of the accounts overlap and I just click on the account I want when I need it.
    when I go abroad I just turn the work one off temporarily so that I don't get loads of data heavy emails coming in, then switch it back on when I get back to work
    it's because I want to be able to see only work emails in one inbox, and all my personal emails across 3 accounts in the other inbox. I also want to ensure that I can't send a work email from a personal address by mistake (and vice versa). Neither of these things can be done in Mail alone. 

And turning off my work emails is (unfortunately) just not an option. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    I have recently started on Outlook iOS for work only, Perfect tbh. Completely separate to all my private stuff, so I can happily turn off from it when I am not at work. One thing that was an arse was that when it was first installed it pulled all my contacts out so that I "lost" a ton of contacts from my phone. I had to go into the outlook settings and alter that, then they reappeared.
  • grungebob said:
    But you also get an 'All Inboxes' folder.  So all you mail comes into one place. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlin said:
    grungebob said:
    But you also get an 'All Inboxes' folder.  So all you mail comes into one place. 

Yes, which means my personal and work are completely mixed, which is exactly what I'm trying to avoid!